Originally Posted By: Muniac
..It's a good O/S just not easy to install and load with software... VirtualBox and k3b presented the most problems to install. Especially k3b..

K3b, excellent as it is, was developed specifically for the KDE desktop environment. Installing it on a desktop like Mate' requires a large number of base KDE libraries be installed along with the software itself to make it feel at home.

Normally I install extra software on Mint using either Mint's Software Manager (best suited to new users) or the Synaptic package manager. These two apps flag needed dependencies, which are then installed as part of the software package I've chosen to run. Never had anything extra I've installed this way not be fully up and running once the installation is done.

A slick feature in Mint is the ability to run 'FlatPak' software packages. These are found in the Software Manager and labeled as such. 'FlatPaks' are complete ready to run 'universal' software packages with all dependencies included. Locate the software you want, run the 'FlatPak' installation, and instantly your new software is ready to work with.

Easy to see how installing all the extras you need to work with would make an otherwise simple Linux Mint OS installation a time consuming process. On the other hand, for the typical 'daily driver' 99% Linux Mint user, Linux Mint 19.1 'right out of the box' provides virtually everything needed and then some.

A new user's installation experience with Mint will be nothing like the far more complex setup you need for the work you do, and that's really a good thing! Otherwise Mint would not have attracted the world wide acceptance and massive following it enjoys.

Extra software someone wishes to install as time goes by is available through Mint's Software Manager, and that task is as simple and straightforward as anything can be..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil