Originally Posted By: peejman
You realize that the old art of plug reading doesn't really work with unleaded ethanol infused gasoline, right? The best way to check A/F ratio is to install a wide band O2 sensor with a meter so you can see exactly what's coming of the the exhaust.

That said, the ass-o-meter and fuel mileage are pretty useful for getting it close. The Dynojet and other similar EFI programmers typically do quite a good job at getting better performance out of the bike.

Yes, I do understand and agree and know what your talking about you just read them differently now but you can still get usefull information out of the plug reading to help you out.

My best life time friend owns a custom motorcycle tuning and engine building shop with a top reputation. He has shown me things to look for when reading plugs with modern fuel. Also he has all the A/F ratio reading equipment at hand for tuning, re-mapping, jetting work. I also have been riding and building bikes ( Harley's,dirt bikes, sport bikes, ATV and so on) my hole life since I was a kid and have acquired a pretty good feel for it ( About 30 years now)

You are100% right the Dyno Jet and other EFI programmers do a great job over all getting better performance out of your bike. Also EFI programmers are a lot easier to tune after installation. Not like a carburetor where sometimes you have to pull a carb of again to make a jet change or pull a slide to make a needle adjustment for fuel adjustments.

Happy and safe riding to all,
Bill G

Last edited by Bill G; 01/15/15 10:33 PM.