Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Operation Serow. Normandy beach invasion #31374 04/09/08 02:15 PM
Doc250 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
I had the week booked off for a camping trip and decided that as it was really early in the season and the further south I went the better chance I'd have for some warmer weather. I decided to hop over the English Channel and check out the D-Day landing beaches in Normandy. So I loaded up the Serow with a weeks worth of gear.

The trip down to Portsmouth took 4 1/2 hours. I stayed off the motorways and rode down through the Cotswolds, a trip I've done many times before. I used the Fosse way which is a Roman road for some of the journey. It's a fast and not very busy alternative to the main A roads. The weather was good all the way to the port, I arrived around 9pm for the 11pm sailing. The overnight ferry gets you into Le Havre at 8am ready for a full days riding. The port is on the eastern edge of the landing beaches so was an ideal choice.

I travelled west along the coast using the small roads to follow the beaches as I went getting the lay of the land as it were for the following days. I set up camp at the far western exteme of the beaches near a fishing village called Barfleur.

They set out from here in 1066 to invade England and put out poor old harold's eye...

Here's my set up, I'm amazed that the Serow carried all this here. Once again proving it's versitilty.

It was a decent site with a new shower block so I decided to stay for the whole 5 nights here. Somethings were very "French" how about some outside urinals!

But did they have to put them next to the kids play area!

Only in France, ha ha.

Here's a bit of British armour we left behind. It's a Churchill AVRE (Armoured Vehicle Royal Engineer) Not a fighting tank but the huge callibre gun was used for demolition of buildings and bunkers as the Engineers followed behind the front line. (Can you tell I used to be a Tankie in my Army days?)

This is a Bomber Command memorial in a town called Grand Camp Maisy.

On the outskirts of town on the main road is this memorial.

Next I visited Omaha beach. Outside the museum is a Sherman. I introduced him to Serow!

Inside the museum they had a landing craft. I can never get the image from saving private Ryan out of my head of the machinegun bullets hitting the ramp and then it lowering...

Here is the memorial on Omaha beach.

Looking west towards pointe du hoc where the rangers assulted the guns on top of the cliffs.

This is a modern sculpture on Omaha beach, not to my taste but the Words on the plaque ring true.

Here's me outside the Big Red One museum, unfortunately it was too early in the season for it to be open. I had family who served in the 1st Infantry.

Further down Omaha beach is this gun enplacement.

Friday I set out again to visit Arromanches which is east of Omaha and where the British landed on Gold beach. The remains of the huge "Mulbery" harbour can still be seen, well, they're hard to miss really!

There are a long line of them still at sea even after 64 years.

So far the weather had been very kind to me and if not exactly tropical it was pleasantly warm when the clouds cleared and the spring sun shone on me. Saturday started well and I ate breakfast outside my tent in shorts and a t-shirt, it didn't last though and the heavens opened. I put on my gear and headed south hoping for brighter skys. I got drown over the next few hours on my way to visit Le Mont St. Michel.

This Medieval Abbey sits on a rock surrounded by salt marsh. Treacherous at low tide and flooded at high tide. There is a causway to get there but even that floods at high tide. It's well worth reading the notice in the carpark!

The French have a love for motorcycles as almost everyone has had a 50cc scooter, which you can ride at 14 with no insurance or numberplate. This was born out with the priority they give bikes over the disabled on the carpark! ha ha.

When I arrived the rain stopped and slowly the skys cleared.

One thing I wasn't expecting when visiting the Abbey was the amount of blatant consumerism to relieve you of your Euro's. There is even a hotel.

I'm far to wise for all that (read tight) so I took a picnic. I found a lovely spot in a little secluded garden. I had fun feeding the local birds as well as myself.

The rest of the day remained fine, the sun even came out in the evening when I was back at the campsite, perfect, especially as I had a supply of Guinness to go with my chicken in blackbean sauce. my favourite. Helped a little by having 2lbs of strawberries for pudding! God bless my little belly.

Sunday was a bit of a washout. I suppose I should be glad it was fine whilst I had breakfast. I sat in the tent, listened to some tunes and chilled. Around 1pm the rain stopped and there was a bit of snow in the air but it looked like it was clearing up. I ventured out for a couple of hours. It was really cold though. I did find these bunkers before I headed back to my warm sleepingbag.

As you can see they had a pretty good view of the landing beaches.

Monday, my last full day, turned out to be the hottest yet so I"made hay". I went to Utah beach which is to the west of Omaha. There is plenty of american hardware lying around here.

And quite a few memorials to fallen comrades...

Next I went up to pointe du Hoc where the Rangers assulted the cliff top guns. These guns could fire on Utah and Omaha beaches so a concerted effort was made to silence them. The Rangers had to get up there and finish the job. Against all odds they achieved their objective.

The gun emplacements.

Tuesday and time to pack up ready for home. A few degrees of frost on the tent!

And the bike!

But the sun came out and dried everything up nicely and eventually I managed to get everything back onto the bike.

I had 4 hours before the ferry so I sauntered my way on some lovely little back roads. Mmm... when it got to an hour from departure I started to get worried I wasn't going to make it in time. Needless to say I arrived just in time and rode straight onto the boat!

Au revoir France.

I had a wonderful time, good camping, good food and some good weather. What more could you ask.

Last edited by Doc250; 04/09/08 02:29 PM.

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!
Re: Operation Serow. Normandy beach invasion [Re: Doc250] #31375 04/09/08 02:50 PM
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!
MR SEROW!
Welcome back buddy,

that's a beautiful memorial in the 9th shot.

Looks like you had a cracking, if a little chilly time over there.

Presume that the trusty Serow behaved in her usual impecable manner?

That back tyre looks ripe for replacement, how many miles did you cover on the whole trip then?

Superb write up and photo's, good on yer!

What more could you ask for? Well interesting company's a good start, along with some quality booze(always available en France)

Reggie

Team Cabra, Brazilian XT225, Team Ukulele, Japan import XT225, a 250 to be named and loads of 2 stroke Kawasaki AR's!
Re: Operation Serow. Normandy beach invasion [Re: Reggie] #31376 04/09/08 03:49 PM
Doc250 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Thanks Reggie, That rear tyre only has about 3mm left I think I've had my money's worth out of it it's done 4500 miles. I totalled 1090 miles on this trip and she ran a treat. The ferry got in at 9.30pm last night so I was on the road by 10. I used my usual late night route back home which is all motorway or dualcarraige except for the last 4 miles. I kept it at 65mph most of the way for 3 1/2 hours! No trouble at all, she just ate it up. It feels sweet at that speed and concidering the aerodynamics when fully laden that's amazing. It just does everything you ask of it.

Good company? You'd better book some time off later in the summer and join me.

Re: Operation Serow. Normandy beach invasion [Re: Doc250] #31377 04/09/08 04:02 PM
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!
MR SEROW!
Hi Doc,

just give me as much notice as you can and we're on!

Where do you fancy then? (Prefer somewhere warm!)

Reggie

Team Cabra, Brazilian XT225, Team Ukulele, Japan import XT225, a 250 to be named and loads of 2 stroke Kawasaki AR's!
Re: Operation Serow. Normandy beach invasion [Re: Reggie] #31378 04/09/08 05:15 PM
Bradley Stoker Offline
Member L3
Member L3
Hi Doc,

Excellent report, we went over to Dunkerque last summer and I would really love to go back to that area, especially with the Serow.

Hoever holidays are a precious commodity and family commitments mean that it will have to remain on my "to do" list a bit longer.

(We are caravanners and plan to drag the "tin tent" into France this summer)

Everything looked great except for the funny French urinals.

cheers

Bradley

Many happy Serow memories.

Your Education is what you have left when you have forgotten everything you have learnt.
Re: Operation Serow. Normandy beach invasion [Re: Bradley Stoker] #31383 04/09/08 05:51 PM
Doc250 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Thanks Bradley. I thought I'll use those urinals once it gets dark (shy, moi?) I just got lined up and the PIR must have picked my willy up (!) and the flood lights came on! ha ha Either that or the site owners were sitting in their house saying " not yet, not yet... NOW! I did laugh.

Reggie I'll have a think, but it won't be long before I'm on my travels. We could always do the Octoberfest down the Rhine! only joking no-one can drink that much gassy larger and live. I'll think of something.

Re: Operation Serow. Normandy beach invasion [Re: Bradley Stoker] #31384 04/09/08 06:01 PM
B
Barnone Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
B
DOC250,
That was an excellent ride report. After seeing all those monuments and battle scenes, I was almost moved to tears. I will not complain about anything the rest of the day.

Vince - 2009 TU250X
Re: Operation Serow. Normandy beach invasion [Re: Bradley Stoker] #31385 04/09/08 06:11 PM
Cigar Mike Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Doc250,

One of the best reports ever. For me, being on this side of the pond it was very special.

Thanks for posting such a great report. Looks like you had a great time.

Looking foward to meeting you when you come to California this year.

Cigar Mike

Re: Operation Serow. Normandy beach invasion [Re: Cigar Mike] #31388 04/09/08 07:22 PM
Doc250 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Barnone and Cigar Mike, I appreciate the significance of those beaches for you guys. The American veteran associations have put a lot of time and money into preserving the sites, more so than the British beaches. I think that the French government has given them to the American public so they're actually US soil. There were a lot of sons of veterans there to pay their respects and it is very sobering to stand on Omaha beach and imagine what they must have faced. The museums at Utah and Omaha had films playing with actual footage of the assults. To watch them and then visit the actual site was quite special.

Re: Operation Serow. Normandy beach invasion [Re: Cigar Mike] #31389 04/09/08 08:06 PM
Moto Psycho Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Hey Doc...

All I can say is WOW! Great report and pics. Like Barnone and Cigar Mike said, that is a quite moving and special one. My Grandfather fought in WWII, and I remember talking with him as a kid in high-school about how it was. He was a great inspiration in my life, and sadly enough passed away last year at the ripe old age of 88. Without your report and pics, I would probably never have thought to put that on my list of places I would like to go and see. Thanks for posting. I'm glad you had a great time and the weather held out for you, for the most part....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 12 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,622
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,074
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,168
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,114
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics