Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: TimeShift Question - George [Re: Muniac] #150412 02/10/21 08:15 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Muniac
George - So far everything is running perfectly. The source laptop cloned perfectly over to the target. Both laptops are identical so this is a good test for TimeShift......

Reports using TimeShift are so far good. I'm using it a bit different for the reasons I've mentioned. It's much more convenient than CloneZilla. I use CloneZilla for my old Windows workstations, however.....

I haven't used TimeShift to do a full backup yet. The couple of times I've used it to revert a troublesome system to an earlier snapshot it has worked flawlessly. But knowing now that its capabilities go far beyond the basic use I've had for it is exciting.

I tried CloneZilla on my Linux Mint system and never felt confidant or comfortable using it. TimeShift on the other hand, the little I've done with it, just 'made sense'. So, following your lead, I'll do a complete backup, home directory and all, on a USB-3 thumb drive and put that away for any 'just in case' need I may have for it as time goes by..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: TimeShift Question - George [Re: Muniac] #150414 02/10/21 08:52 PM
Muniac Online Content OP
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
George - It's a nice utility. I've setup the options for manual control. No scheduled backups. Scheduling seems to grab the mount point on removable devices and makes unmounts and mounts create errors. It must run in the background and tie up the USB port. Format your blank media to ext4 using GParted. Careful to selection the right media. Set TimeShift for the whole ball of wax (settings->users) by clicking the Include All Files buttons. Turn off the scheduling. Mount your media, let it enumerate then make sure that's set as the target (settings->location). Run create. I had about 12Gb which took 15 minutes. You'll should see a single timeshift folder created. That's what can be used to re-image your entire HD. Obviously, you'll need to install a bare bones Linux system that allows running TimeShift on a totally dead machine. I always have DVDs with the current O/S burned. This would work on an unbootable machine and/or one with a new HD. I always keep a second laptop identical to the one I use for all my applications.

To do another image, mount the media and use sudo rm -r timeshift from the terminal window opened from the root containing the timeshift folder. It's a recursive delete and it took about 5 minutes to kill the folder + contents. Just wait for the prompt to come back. System seems hung but it's working. Then do another create from TimeShift. You'll have a fresh and current BU this way. This is what I did and it worked fine. Never hurts to have a couple of backups on two removable storage devices. TimeShift is tons better than CloneZilla which is rough to say the least. Its kernel is also fussy on what it will boot on. It's also slow as a turtle some 3 hours to image a HD.

TimeShift does incremental BUs so there may be more efficient ways to use the application. I haven't tested any of them, however. What's above I know works. Good luck!

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: TimeShift Question - George [Re: Muniac] #150415 02/11/21 03:53 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It works great! Now I know. Thanks for the walk through. That will be a handy tool to have. I ran it on my main machine backing up to a 64GB USB-3 stick formatted to ext4. I had WAY to much data to be backed up to make it a quick job, but it got it done. If I ever needed to reinstall or clone this system to a different machine I could put it back 'exactly' as it was. Like I said, 'a handy tool to have', and a heck of a lot easier than trying to do the same thing with CloneZilla..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: TimeShift Question - George [Re: Muniac] #150418 02/12/21 01:08 AM
Muniac Online Content OP
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
George - When I go between machines the UUID is different on the HD. The UUID is a unique identifier used in partitions to uniquely identify partitions in Linux operating systems. You'll get this message during the boot:

[FAILED] Failed to start Remount Root and Kernel File System.

It doesn't hang the system but flashes by and boot through. This wouldn't happen if you're restoring back to the same HD. It might happen if you replace the HD and load Linux, run TimeShift and do a restore. I've solved the problem be putting the proper UUID is /etc/fstab I keep these notes on my other blog and when I finish the TimeShift instructions completely detailing everything I'll post the link here. You can use lsblk -f to get the UUID for the primary partition. Copy and past that into /etc/fstab so GRUB sees the boot partition. You can also specify nofail to suppress the message which is a band aid. More details forth coming.

It's these wrinkles that make Linux challenging. Many hours required to get this figured out. TimeShift would never know to make these system specific changes. But GRUB is smart enough to find the boot device even though the UUID is incorrect.

Evolve & Simplify
Re: TimeShift Question - George [Re: Muniac] #150440 02/13/21 07:44 PM
Muniac Online Content OP
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
George - I try to document instructions on stuff I usually forget because I don't do it often. HD imaging being one such activity. I finished up with TimeShift which worked fine for me cloning a laptop configuration and restoring it on another laptop. I did experience a UUID wrinkle which I researched and solved. All the dope is HERE if you want to read what I did. The UUID stuff is near the end should you encounter a boot [FAILED] message. I don't know how UUIDs are generated so if you replaced a HD and had to restore it, this might come up.

A dead laptop would require a fresh distro reload and installing TimeShift. During the install, a new UUID might be assigned which would differ from the previous one saved in old the HD image. This I haven't tested. Enjoy!

Evolve & Simplify
Re: TimeShift Question - George [Re: Muniac] #150441 02/13/21 11:53 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Good write up with clear instructions for using TimeShift as a complete HD imaging tool. I appreciate you providing this helpful walk-through, Scott. Thanks much!..

Re: TimeShift Question - George [Re: Muniac] #150443 02/14/21 12:02 AM
Muniac Online Content OP
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
No problems. I just got Virtual Box up and running. Reasonably painless this time. I'll do a write up on that. On the Dell M4800 you could bring up a Windows 10 machine. I've got a junk HP Elite Book with a Windows 10 O/S on it I use for development. It isn't connected to the internet either. Jeannie uses Windows XP to run Canoscan for the Canon Document scanner she needs. We just did an import appliance from one of the old Dells. The entire machine came over fine. That's a nice feature BTW.

Evolve & Simplify
Re: TimeShift Question - George [Re: Muniac] #150474 02/17/21 11:58 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Muniac
.....Jeannie uses Windows XP to run Canoscan for the Canon Document scanner she needs...

Not sure which Canoscan model Jeannie uses, but for what it may be worth I run my Canoscan 20 on Mint 20.1 with any issues using the SimpleScan app that's available with Mint. Works perfectly for what I need it to do..

Re: TimeShift Question - George [Re: Muniac] #150491 02/19/21 04:11 PM
Muniac Online Content OP
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
It's an old scanner but might work on native Linux. Can't hurt to plug it in and try it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Evolve & Simplify
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,621
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,074
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,163
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,114
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics