Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Can Windows apps run in Linux? #146739 12/28/19 11:09 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

For Windows 7 users who might consider installing Linux Mint instead of moving to Windows 10 if they could run favorite Windows programs in Linux, the short answer is "Yes, quite often you can.."

The long answer is that a great many Windows programs run successfully in Mint using WINE, the hugely popular 'Windows Compatibility Layer' for Linux. For Windows programs which won't run in WINE it's easy to install Oracle's 'VirtualBox' software, create a minimal Windows OS in a virtual machine, then run any Windows program or app you need in that virtual OS -- all without the hassle and expen$e of moving to Windows 10, with all the baggage it brings with it.

When first released Mint 19 users found WINE difficult if not entirely impossible to install. Once you figured out how to install it, the older version of WINE didn't work all that well in the new Mint 19 release - nothing like how smoothly it had worked in Mint 18.x.

Suffering from a number of issues including out of date and obsolete packages, 64-bit compatibility issues, and missing WINE menu items, the older version of WINE was a real problem when Mint 19 was first released. Addressing the usability problems created by the older version of WINE that Mint 19 inherited from its parent, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, became a top priority with Mint's developers.

To solve this problem Mint added the newest WINE 4.0, direct from 'WineHQ', to Mint 19's repositories. This provided Mint 19 users direct access to the newest version of WINE, solving problems it had with the older version of WINE provided by Ubuntu. In addition WINE 4.0 came with support for Vulkan, modern game controllers and Direct3D-12, big improvements to WINE's overall functionality.

Mint's developers created a new package called 'wine-desktop-files', allowing 'regedit', 'C:\ drive' and other Windows shortcuts to once again appear as they do in Windows. Linux Mint 19.3 comes with a 'WINE-Installer' package available in its 'Software Manager', making it one-click simple to install the latest Wine 4.0.x in Mint.

With WINE in place a lot of Windows programs run successfully directly in Mint, without resorting to a virtual machine. That being the case there's no real reason not to give Linux Mint a trial run if you're in the rapidly sinking Windows 7 boat.

Go to WineHQ's Application Database. Then check to see if the Windows program or application you'd like to have available is listed as running successfully in WINE 4.0. Don't despair if programs you'd like to run aren't listed anymore. Older Windows programs, many which run flawlessly in WINE, are rarely listed these days. Simply run their installers and try them out. More than likely you'll be pleased to find they do run!

Now you can settle back and enjoy the best of desktop Linux in Mint 19.3, together with the compatible Windows application(s) you need. Personally I run Adobe Photoshop 7, Adobe Illustrator 10, plus a couple of other Windows programs in WINE -- none of these currently listed in WineHQ's database.

Feel free to ask whatever questions you might have. We're happy to help all we can..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Can Windows apps run in Linux? [Re: Az4x4] #146743 12/29/19 05:33 PM
Muniac Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
George - I've used WINE but some years ago. Worked reasonably well. The issue I had with it was limited USB device support. Flash drives were fine. But my Garmin GPS and Canon scanner didn't work with their respective Windows applications. Both connect via USB.

My understanding is WINE simulates the GUI and O/S functions Windows apps are looking for. Sort of a mini version of Virtual Box Virtual Machine but not as comprehensive. I also thought WINE was primarily directed at the Windows gaming crowd. Allowing them to run their Windows based games under Linux. Any updates on the new version's USB support?

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Can Windows apps run in Linux? [Re: Muniac] #146749 12/30/19 03:13 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Muniac
..I've used WINE but some years ago. Worked reasonably well. The issue I had with it was limited USB device support. Flash drives were fine. But my Garmin GPS and Canon scanner didn't work with their respective Windows applications. Both connect via USB..

Running compatible Windows apps in WINE on Linux works well. Flash drives and external USB storage devices aren't a problem, they read and write perfectly.

Other than that I run Garmin GPS updates in Win7 on a virtual machine. Like you I've yet to find a way to run them in WINE.

Originally Posted By: Muniac
..My understanding is WINE simulates the GUI and O/S functions Windows apps are looking for. Sort of a mini version of Virtual Box Virtual Machine but not as comprehensive. I also thought WINE was primarily directed at the Windows gaming crowd. Allowing them to run their Windows based games under Linux. Any updates on the new version's USB support?..

WINE isn't anything like a virtual machine. WINE is simply a coded 'compatibility layer' that makes it possible for Windows applications to run natively in Linux, Mac or BSD. In our case the latest WINE compatibility layer seamlessly translates internal Windows commands to Linux commands allowing them to run as though they were native to Linux. Handy, to say the least!

As far as the Windows gaming crowd is concerned, WINE's ongoing development has been driven in large measure by such folks. For those who find gaming a compelling pastime, WINE and spin off projects which take advantage of WINE's capabilities have made gaming on Linux a market of explosive growth these past few years..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Can Windows apps run in Linux? [Re: Az4x4] #146751 12/30/19 06:41 PM
Muniac Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
Thanks for the updates. I remember some years ago contacting the WINE development team about extending USB support. Didn't get a good feeling that was going to happen anytime soon.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Can Windows apps run in Linux? [Re: Muniac] #146769 12/31/19 09:59 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

There's workarounds posted that people have come up with to get USB working on certain things in WINE. However as simple as it is to run a lite Windows 7 in a virtualbox machine, and as iffy as these USB workarounds for WINE seemingly are - it just makes sense to do USB stuff in VB instead of battling the odds trying to make them work in WINE.

If one day the USB gods smile on us and allow USB to work seamlessly in WINE, that'll be good news. Until then Win7 in a VB works great..

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,621
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,074
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,163
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,114
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics