Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Removed my Anti-Photo License Plate Cover.. #137843 08/10/17 10:05 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Had a anti-photo cover on my Tacoma's license plate the past 10 years or more. It saved my butt dozens of times when Arizona was crawling with photo speed traps. These speed traps have pretty much disappeared, so no more need for the anti-photo license plate cover.

As of yesterday a batch of new Arizona laws went into effect including one that says you can't use any sort of license plate cover at all. So I took mine off and trashed it. Didn't want a highway patrolman or sheriff's deputy to pull me over thinking he'd make an example of me!

That license plate cover served its purpose for many years, saving me a lot of grief while living in the Valley. But that was then and this is now - so 'goodbye old faded worn out friend, you were the best!'

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Removed my Anti-Photo License Plate Cover.. [Re: Az4x4] #137846 08/11/17 07:23 AM
alexd Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Is Arizona a front license plate optional State, or not? There is another solution if it is...

Alexd

(one) 2006 XT225, (two) 2005 XT225, 2006 FZ1
Re: Removed my Anti-Photo License Plate Cover.. [Re: Az4x4] #137866 08/12/17 03:48 PM
Muniac Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
George - Good call. Your best bet is follow the law(s) as you've indicated. Both Jeannie and I were tagged in photo enforcement zones in Phoenix. She was speeding and I did run a red light. In my case, someone was tailgating me and on a cell phone. I chose to run a light rather than risk a rear end collision by slamming on the brakes in front of a possible inattentive driver. The camera doesn't consider this scenario or see the full picture. I'd do the same thing again to avoid a collision. A no win scenario where one chooses the option to minimize damage and possible injury. At the expense of a ticket. I did take a 4 hour driver course that threw the ticket out. Instructor was good and I learned some things I didn't know about. Overall it worked out fine.

That said, I would vote against photo enforcement zones. The Phoenix Valley was (at that time) the #1 red light running city in the nation. Some of the videos I saw in the course were unbelievable. To include pedestrians getting mowed down while crossing on a green light (for them) by a driver running a red light. Such incidents create public outcry and weren't one offs. So the city made a choice to use photo enforcement to deal with this problem. Millions of dollars later, I don't know where it stands now. I'd guess it didn't work out.

As for laws, there are many we don't like. Breaking them isn't the answer for making positive changes and preserving a "somewhat" orderly society. Get organized and go through the appropriate channels to promote your cause.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Removed my Anti-Photo License Plate Cover.. [Re: alexd] #137877 08/12/17 08:56 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: alexd
..Is Arizona a front license plate optional State, or not?..

There's no option for a front license plate. You only get one when you register a vehicle in Arizona, and it goes on the back..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Removed my Anti-Photo License Plate Cover.. [Re: Muniac] #137878 08/12/17 09:18 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Muniac
..Good call. Your best bet is follow the law(s) as you've indicated. Both Jeannie and I were tagged in photo enforcement zones in Phoenix. She was speeding and I did run a red light...

...The Phoenix Valley was (at that time) the #1 red light running city in the nation. Some of the videos I saw in the course were unbelievable.... the city made a choice to use photo enforcement to deal with this problem. Millions of dollars later, I don't know where it stands now. I'd guess it didn't work out...

Back when photo enforcement was heavily in use, every city in the Valley and state wide ran it, along with DPS on the freeways. It was challenged time and again in court, and became too big a stink legally and politically to continue. It wasn't cost effective nor did it make much of a dent in the accident rate, so photo enforcement is no longer in use in Arizona.

The license plate cover I purchased on eBay allowed a clear unobstructed view from the rear, while photographing it from an angle, as photo enforcement zones did, didn't work. Funny, but it was perfectly legal to use such a cover at that time, and the one I had on my Tacoma was in place for close to 10 years. Now that photo enforcement is no more, a new law has gone into effect that disallows such covers! Like closing the barn door after the horses get away..

Re: Removed my Anti-Photo License Plate Cover.. [Re: Az4x4] #137891 08/13/17 06:28 PM
Muniac Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
Police are high tech now too. Who knows what they are using to capture vehicle information. The license plate cover law has a reason. Just not stated up front. Maybe we'll have driverless police cars soon. Gives robo cop a new meaning. Wouldn't that be a hoot!

Glad the photo enforcement crap is dead. It just amazes me how much time, effort and money gets pissed away by the government dreaming up schemes of improvement. And where are our talented level headed people??

Evolve & Simplify
Re: Removed my Anti-Photo License Plate Cover.. [Re: Az4x4] #137897 08/14/17 04:21 AM
D
Deserteagle56 Online Content
Member L2
Online Content
Member L2
D
A big reason photo enforcement is declining is because of the inequities of the system, causing people to rise up in protest. In other words, the camera gets a photo of your license plate and you get the ticket - even though you may not have been the driver of the vehicle. Somewhere in my files I saved a news story of a woman who turned her Audi into a repair shop for a few days - and shortly thereafter received a traffic camera ticket for speeding. The face of the driver in the photo was not identifiable but the license plate surely was and the court ruled she had to pay the ticket regardless. It was an employee of the repair shop who had been driving the vehicle but it did not matter.
In my opinion and I suspect in the opinion of most people, its the driver of the car that should be getting the ticket, not the registered owner. The whole process is unconstitutional but the municipalities and courts, in their zeal to collect dollars, don't worry about constitutionality!

Worshipper of sun and wild country.
Re: Removed my Anti-Photo License Plate Cover.. [Re: Muniac] #137898 08/14/17 12:07 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: Muniac
Glad the photo enforcement crap is dead. It just amazes me how much time, effort and money gets pissed away by the government dreaming up schemes of improvement. And where are our talented level headed people??

It wasn't the government people who dreamed it up, it was the camera makers. They're the ones who made all the money. Most of the municipalities leased the cameras with typically at least 50% of the revenue going to the camera company, plus the lease, plus having to pay an officer or three to review all the photos. Only someone in government could negotiate such a poor contract and think it was cost effective.

Cameras have mostly gone away here as well. Public outcry in the courts, in the media, and in the form of bullet holes in the cameras seems to have stomped it out.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: Removed my Anti-Photo License Plate Cover.. [Re: Az4x4] #137903 08/14/17 03:40 PM
Muniac Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
Good to see photo enforcement fold its tents. I didn't realize TN jumped in on this.

As for negotiated contracts, when it isn't your money it's easy to spend it. When it runs out, just take more of it. Easy. mad

Evolve & Simplify

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,615
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,064
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,153
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,112
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics