Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Re: Are you riding a lot during the CV-19 shutdown?.. [Re: Az4x4] #148162 06/03/20 09:34 PM
B
Beaker Offline
Member L2
Member L2
B
Originally Posted by Az4x4
.. Sweden hasn't jumped on the 'beat 'em into submission with strict social distancing rules and arrest 'em if they don't comply' bandwagon that other governments have adopted, and it's rate of infections are virtually no different than places that go whole hog bullying people and groups with police threats, heavy fines and 'big stick' policies designed to intimidate and control at all costs..

Are you sure?
(from https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ate-worst-country-covid-19-a9539206.html )

Sweden has taken the ignominious title of the country with the world’s highest death rate from Covid-19. The title, which was was briefly held by the UK late last month, comes after Swedish officials decided to ignore the lockdown advice of countless health experts and kept the country largely open during the pandemic. The number of deaths per capita in Sweden is now more than four-times that of its Nordic neighbours.

Re: Are you riding a lot during the CV-19 shutdown?.. [Re: Az4x4] #148163 06/04/20 01:26 PM
V
Vinduroman Offline
Member L1
Member L1
V
Unfortunately, it's very, very difficult to know what's actually happening. We have two opposing camps of thought with "data" numbers that are fighting for the microphone.

I know here in the US, the numbers are terribly skewed and inflated. (As recently acknowledged by the CDC and lowered some of the data "results".)

Example from a friend of our family: His friend had one family member that tested positive for the virus. There were three in the family. In the official letter received from the CDC, they were told that since one had the virus, they will count the entire family. That so, there's right at a 66% inflation rate of those numbers right there in that single example. The friend said he would NOT have believed this had he not read the CDC letter himself. BTW, the one that tested positive is fine and dandy, as well as the other members of the family.

One of the results of the politicizing of this virus has been to further cause me to doubt everything I'm being told, and I for SURE do NOT trust the MSM for ANY information about ANYTHING.

V-man

Re: Are you riding a lot during the CV-19 shutdown?.. [Re: Az4x4] #148164 06/04/20 01:38 PM
V
Vinduroman Offline
Member L1
Member L1
V
Just checked on my state's data. Here it is:

https://coronavirus.health.ok.gov/

OK has been "opening" for weeks now, and according to this data the trend is notably downward.

V-man

Re: Are you riding a lot during the CV-19 shutdown?.. [Re: Az4x4] #148165 06/04/20 01:48 PM
Paul49 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The UK figures are kept down for whatever reason. The excess deaths (from average) these last few months is 22,000 higher than the 40,000 figure published as Covid-19 deaths. That could be down to other reasons like suicides or fear of hospitals full of CV patients. We don't know, but we do know, it is an awful lot of excess deaths, in such a short time.

The number of cases is a finger in the air, totally dependent on the number of tests done. The only meaningful figure that we can go off is the number of deaths.

Can't imagine it's only the UK that are covering up the reality of the situation.

Current: 1958 Ariel 650 FH, 2014 Tiger Sport1050, 1995 XT225 Serow, 2016 Tiger 800 XRx.
Re: Are you riding a lot during the CV-19 shutdown?.. [Re: Paul49] #148166 06/04/20 02:54 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Vinduroman
Unfortunately, it's very, very difficult to know what's actually happening. We have two opposing camps of thought with "data" numbers that are fighting for the microphone.

I know here in the US, the numbers are terribly skewed and inflated. (As recently acknowledged by the CDC and lowered some of the data "results".)

Example from a friend of our family: His friend had one family member that tested positive for the virus. There were three in the family. In the official letter received from the CDC, they were told that since one had the virus, they will count the entire family. That so, there's right at a 66% inflation rate of those numbers right there in that single example. The friend said he would NOT have believed this had he not read the CDC letter himself. BTW, the one that tested positive is fine and dandy, as well as the other members of the family.

One of the results of the politicizing of this virus has been to further cause me to doubt everything I'm being told, and I for SURE do NOT trust the MSM for ANY information about ANYTHING.

V-man

Interesting that the CDC would report the entire household as positive. That certainly could help explain the data.

Originally Posted by Paul49
The UK figures are kept down for whatever reason. The excess deaths (from average) these last few months is 22,000 higher than the 40,000 figure published as Covid-19 deaths. That could be down to other reasons like suicides or fear of hospitals full of CV patients. We don't know, but we do know, it is an awful lot of excess deaths, in such a short time.

The number of cases is a finger in the air, totally dependent on the number of tests done. The only meaningful figure that we can go off is the number of deaths.

Can't imagine it's only the UK that are covering up the reality of the situation.

Even the number of deaths are suspicious here. Hospitals get more money from the government when they report a C19 death as opposed to the flu. So anyone with flu like symptoms is reported as C19 positive whether they've been tested or not. Even the hospitals gotta get that .gov check.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: Are you riding a lot during the CV-19 shutdown?.. [Re: peejman] #148167 06/04/20 03:14 PM
Paul49 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by peejman

Even the number of deaths are suspicious here. Hospitals get more money from the government when they report a C19 death as opposed to the flu. So anyone with flu like symptoms is reported as C19 positive whether they've been tested or not. Even the hospitals gotta get that .gov check.

Interesting, you believe the actual number of deaths in the US is lower than published while over here in the UK we are led to believe the true death rate is 55% higher than published. Scary times. Politicians wouldn't tell lies..............surely. Ha

https://www.ft.com/content/3c53ab12-d859-4ceb-b262-f6a0221ca129

Current: 1958 Ariel 650 FH, 2014 Tiger Sport1050, 1995 XT225 Serow, 2016 Tiger 800 XRx.
Re: Are you riding a lot during the CV-19 shutdown?.. [Re: Az4x4] #148168 06/04/20 04:12 PM
V
Vinduroman Offline
Member L1
Member L1
V
Over here, inflating the numbers caters to the left narrative. Our MSM's and information systems has become very partisan and extremely tilted toward a very left mindset. The misinformation system is so deeply rooted I suspect it will never be able to be rooted up and dealt with. The result for me is that I simply do not trust any info that the MSM or left "approved" information tries to feed us.

Sadly, we citizens pretty much have to turn off the noise that the MSM and partisan sites are hawking, and search out for ourselves for information that may be more factual.

It's a pain in the arse when the main media's and information dispensers are so partisan. The one's holding the only microphone need to be held accountable for what they're reporting and HOW they report it, but like I said, here in the USA I fear that it's too far gone and that may never happen.

V-man

Re: Are you riding a lot during the CV-19 shutdown?.. [Re: Beaker] #148169 06/04/20 06:47 PM
Az4x4 Online Content OP
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member

Obviously the approach Sweden has taken, earning the country a place among the world’s highest death rates from Covid-19, hasn't been nearly as effective as they hoped it would be.

Sweden's approach, relying on "herd immunity" through mass infection, has drastically impacted the 10.23 million who live there. They've seen 23,216 cases of CV-19 and 2,854 deaths from the virus - a death rate of 280 deaths per million residents, one of the highest in the world, and the highest of all Nordic countries.

The United States, with a population of 328 million, has seen 1,152,372 cases of CV-19 and 67,456 deaths from the virus, a rate of 206 deaths per million people.

The US death rate per capita is approximately 3/4 of Sweden's, but both are exceptionally high. Sweden and the US are among the top 10 countries with the highest death rate per capita from CV-19. Based on current data, Canada has about half the death rate of the US, at 108 per million. Norway has a rate of 40 deaths per million people, while Finland’s rate is 44 deaths per million. Spain and Italy have higher death rates per capita than either the US or Sweden.

Sweden's strategy, compared to elsewhere in Europe where countries have strict stay-at-home orders and lockdowns in place to help prevent the spread of the virus, is unique. The results of Sweden’s “herd immunity” effort are not yet available, and it’s not at all clear if antibodies from CV-19 provide immunity to people, or if so how long that immunity lasts. Sweden's state epidemiologist recently admitted that he’s “not sure at all” the approach Sweden is taking will actually work as projected. His team is continuously evaluating their approach “because we may have to change."

Several states here in the US have started reopening non-essential businesses in recent weeks, Arizona among them. According to leaked internal draft projections from the Trump administration, published by the New York Times and Washington Post this past Monday, these projections suggest there could be upwards of 3,000 new deaths per day by June 1 if lockdowns are lifted too quickly.

Who really knows what the outcome of all this will be. Will Sweden’s “herd immunity” effort prove its worth in the long run, or will Sweden “have to change”? Will the US lifting restrictions and reopening non-essential businesses trigger a massive spike in CV-19 infections and death rates as projected? And how will thousands of rioters roaming city streets in mass effect the spread of the virus, not to mention the billions of dollars in property damage and loss of life they’re imposing on the nation?

Pick your poison - one way or the other this virus and the fractured world wide response to it will impact all of us in ways we’ve not yet begun to fully grasp..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Are you riding a lot during the CV-19 shutdown?.. [Re: Az4x4] #148170 06/04/20 07:22 PM
Paul49 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Is there a reason that those figures are so vastly different to the figures in the worldometer data. Got a link to where they come from?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Re: Are you riding a lot during the CV-19 shutdown?.. [Re: Az4x4] #148171 06/04/20 08:01 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I would say Sweden's approach has to work long-term. If it doesn't we're doomed as a species. If the human immune system can't produce a life saving immunity to a virus, we're done. History would indicate that herd immunity does work. We're still here, so that means polio, small pox, malaria, the plague, TB, etc. didn't kill everyone.

If Sweden's approach hasn't overwhelmed their medical system's ability to care for the sick, and people are not dying due to lack of treatment, then what's the problem? The whole point of the lock-downs isn't to stop the spread, it's to slow it down so the medical system isn't overwhelmed. Even the legislators know that stopping it entirely isn't possible.

The death rate in various places is due largely to the culture of the area. Spaniards and Italians are very huggy people in my experience. Lots of close personal contact, and they live in close proximity to others. Perfect conditions for a virus to spread quickly. I'd also surmise that Nordic folks aren't so huggy and don't live in such close proximity, hence much slower spread.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Az4x4), 38 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,621
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,074
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,163
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,114
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics