Originally Posted By: Skeerman
So who has done this on a new 250? I am in the process if trying to get it done and I am running into a few hickups.I bought an extension that won't fit in my drill and I bought a metal hole saw that wont fit in my extension. SOOO.... I am going to buy the biggest longest bit I can and then use a tapered bit to grind out the hole lie z1 did. Do I need to woory about the shavings or are those going to blast out the end like I am hoping they will? Thanks!

I just did the exhaust mod on the wife’s 08 XT250. It really improved the acceleration and the bike can now pull easily up to and past 80 mph. The bike is a bit louder while on the gas, but not too load, as I am not into the loud pipe stuff.

I took the end cap off, using an impact wrench which will ensure you get the screw loose and will not strip the Phillips head. A bit of liquid wrench to loosen the cap, then wiggle the end cap off. You can also insert a large screw driver into the hole which allows access to the Phillips screw….and use a small block of wood to pry against…..and the end cap will pop right off.

Next look down the pipe and about 8 inches down….you will see the plate at the end of the cylinder inside the pipe that is blocking the exhaust flow. Some folks drill a few holes in it, but I used a 1 7/8th inch hole drill bit and removed the entire plate. Then just put the end cap back on and the mod is done.

Also, I took the plastic cover off of the top of the air box that holds the filter in. I fabricated a small length of aluminum to hold the filter in and used the existing screw to secure the plate to the air box.

I can’t provide photos now as am out of town.

daleCarlsbad