Same here in Colorado. Home defense is treated very differently than other buildings on your property like a detached garage. Trespassing isn't taken lightly here either. In Torrey Utah, I saw several property signs saying, "If you get caught trespassing, you'll be shot." Thought the signs a bit odd but it may be backed up by laws protecting the property owners.

If you do shoot a robber who just broke into your home, best to finish it off. Because someone can come back at you years later with medical claims and lawsuits. Some lawyer will be glad to represent them. It's all about where the money is. If you own something or worse yet have cash assets someone will try to take it. It's a form of "legal" extortion and theft IMHO. I'd avoid getting into such circumstances if at all possible.

I support the 2nd amendment and think people have the right to own a gun. The vast majority do so legally. What I don't like seeing on the tube is people promoting that the average Joe can carry a gun for self defense and/or taking out a maniac. This glosses over so many complications that would arise in a shootout. That said, eliminating soft targets with those trained in firearms and protected by the law is a good thing. Schools come to mind. Guns don't shoot by themselves.

Freedom is an important part of being an American citizen. I like to see our freedoms protected not removed by misguided pressure groups. With those freedoms come responsibility to enjoy them in sustainable ways. And do so not at the expense of others who may see freedom differently. Maniacs just need to be removed from the game by any means necessary.

Background checks are a good thing and well in place here for anyone trying to purchase a firearm. Enforcement varies as we know. Going back to AZ which is a gun friendly state, firearms education is permitted in the schools. It won't happen given the school system is heavily influenced by liberals with an anti-gun mentality. So many issues we are facing as a nation could be solved with facts, education, good planning and less emotional effluent. My outlook is one of guarded optimism. I hope we can get a handle on things and come together as a nation. Complex!

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video