Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Front Brake Spongy then Seized while riding [Re: REIRider] #153331 06/01/22 08:15 PM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
My XT tops out at about 72 mph GPS on a flat level road with no discernable wind. But I weigh 240, and carry about 20 pounds of stuff with me, and have at least another 30 pounds of accessories on the bike (luggage rack, metal basket, kickstarter, centerstand, and an aftermarket tank that holds 4 gallons) But I don't think weight makes much of a difference when it comes to top speed on a level road with no headwind, though it may take longer to reach that speed. But the sputtering is not normal. I have ridden mine from below 1000 feet to around 12,000 feet, and while it does run a little rich and loses a little performance at high altitude, it's still perfectly ridable, and doesn't sputter. In my experience, sputtering is usually caused by fuel starvation, though there are other things, such as an ignition problem that can cause it. Just a bad spark plug can cause incomplete combustion at high rpm.

The above is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
1994/2001 custom built XT225 with a ton of aftermarket parts.

Re: Front Brake Spongy then Seized while riding [Re: JerryH] #153333 06/01/22 09:57 PM
Y
youngfred Offline
Y
Originally Posted by JerryH
My XT tops out at about 72 mph GPS on a flat level road with no discernable wind. But I weigh 240, and carry about 20 pounds of stuff with me, and have at least another 30 pounds of accessories on the bike (luggage rack, metal basket, kickstarter, centerstand, and an aftermarket tank that holds 4 gallons) But I don't think weight makes much of a difference when it comes to top speed on a level road with no headwind, though it may take longer to reach that speed. But the sputtering is not normal. I have ridden mine from below 1000 feet to around 12,000 feet, and while it does run a little rich and loses a little performance at high altitude, it's still perfectly ridable, and doesn't sputter. In my experience, sputtering is usually caused by fuel starvation, though there are other things, such as an ignition problem that can cause it. Just a bad spark plug can cause incomplete combustion at high rpm.

What Front/Rear Sprockets are you running?

I dropped one(1) tooth on the front sprocket.
That was all I changed.

I carry around 240lbs.

First gear is real low.
I can now take off from a flat hard surface at an
intersection, in 2nd Gear.

In the dirt, it is perfect for me. I love 1st gear.

On the top side :

If I go through the gears on the highway
and hit a rise or slow down a bit, in High Gear,
It begins to bog and says, "Downshift" !!!

youngfred

2000 - XT225
Re: Front Brake Spongy then Seized while riding [Re: REIRider] #153338 06/03/22 07:02 PM
Paul49 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by REIRider
I picked up a 97 xt225 and having a couple issues. Hoping to get some help here.
1. Previous owner said front brake would get tight in the garage if it sat for a while so he would just open the bleeder for a dribble and good to go. First thing I did was flush the brakes and clear out the bleeder valve (which had no dust cover and was full of crap). Now it's super spongy so probably have some air in the system. Will do the squeezed handle overnight tonight. BUT went for a little test ride today and while out for a couple laps around the block, front brake went from spongy to completely seized. Did the bleeder dribble and back to spongy to get home. Could air in the line cause that too? I'm wondering if enough air would expand due to heating up to cause the seize?

I'm fairly sure the problem you're having is due to a seized caliper piston. More likely caused by corrosion in the groove forcing the seal tight onto the piston. The only cure is to strip, clean out the groove, and fit new seals & a new piston if it is in any way marked. Do it before it has you off.

Current: 1958 Ariel 650 FH, 2014 Tiger Sport1050, 1995 XT225 Serow, 2016 Tiger 800 XRx.
Re: Front Brake Spongy then Seized while riding [Re: REIRider] #153371 06/15/22 03:47 AM
R
REIRider Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I followed all the above here and cleaned the carb and found it surprisingly clean. The clip was floating around loose on the fuel pin and there are a couple of missing o rings. Put it back together right and revved it up and then took off up my steep driveway and it sputtered in 1st with about 1/2-2/3 throttle and then died dumping the bike on me on the hill. I've ordered a new carb and waiting for it to arrive.

In the meantime, took all your advice and took apart the caliper. The brake fluid still didn't drain properly from the line and the fluid in the piston was so bad even after flushing the line that I decided to break down and clean the master cylinder too. Wow. Just wow. So much junk in the brake system. I can't believe it. There's this gummed up stuff stuck to the inside of the cylinder and bore and on the piston. It won't come off with cleaner or even with scrubbing using a toothbrush. What could this be? Do I need to just give up and order replacement cylinder and caliper sets or is there something else that could clean this up? I've never seen this before. It's almost like a rubber like sealant got spread all over.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Re: Front Brake Spongy then Seized while riding [Re: REIRider] #153372 06/15/22 02:59 PM
Muniac Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
Looks nasty! I'd try CRC Brakleen or Berryman B12 carb cleaner. It's just a matter of finding the right solvent. Make sure to replace all the rubber parts with new ones. It's hard to guess what caused this. For obvious reasons, you'll want brakes to be working perfectly. Good luck.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Front Brake Spongy then Seized while riding [Re: Muniac] #153374 06/15/22 06:22 PM
R
REIRider Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Welp. The whole brake system is toast. I was able to get the "gum/glue" off the caliper, piston, master cylinder but everything is pitted. It turned to a white powder on the master cylinder but I don't think I should even save that.

Here's what I tried: brake cleaner, then simple green and tooth brush, then simple green and a soak in almost boiling water and a toothbrush is what finally did it. Was going to try the suggested cleaners next but discovered the pitting. I really hate that I'm going to spend the money on a full brake system still not knowing why the bike sputters with a lot of throttle.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm slowly working through them.

[img]https://imgur.com/a/DrlPBnU[/img]

Re: Front Brake Spongy then Seized while riding [Re: REIRider] #153375 06/15/22 08:24 PM
Muniac Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
You need to take this one problem at a time. As I understand DOT3 brake fluid, it does attract moisture from the atmosphere which would explain O2 induced corrosion (pitting). If the machined surfaces are pitted throw those parts in the garbage, replace with new parts and move to the next problem.

You should check compression, valve clearance and plug. You're looking for ~145 PSI as I recall. That's what our bikes measured at 15k miles of hard riding. Someone with a service manual hopefully will jump in on the compression reading. I'm going from memory. Good compression means generally a healthy combustion chamber, valves and rings. Good luck.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Front Brake Spongy then Seized while riding [Re: REIRider] #153376 06/16/22 09:12 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That stinks that the brakes are corroded. Perhaps this is an opportunity to upgrade the marginal stock system.

As for the carb, did you warm the bike up? These bikes are notoriously cold natured. If I started mine and immediately tried to climb a hill, it would fall flat on its face too

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 12 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,422
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 4,971
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,019
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,115
Paul49 2,053
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics