Fab Ads
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
No Spark----Spark Coil? #143521 11/11/18 12:39 AM
BigSm0ke Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey guys, my 225 has been sitting for a couple of weeks. I replaced the brake line w/ a Galfer braided line and changed to EBC pads.

Went to start it up, cranking but no spark.

Checked the coil- Primary circuit (orange wire/black|ground)....0.6 ohms.

Is it me or is that way off?

Secondary seems to check out @ 17.4K ohms

Just want to confirm before I buy a new coil.

Thanks a lot

The race was definitely underway. I had witnessed the start, I was sure of that much. But what now? What comes next?
Re: No Spark----Spark Coil? [Re: BigSm0ke] #143523 11/11/18 01:44 AM
#brer15 Offline
Silver Member
Silver Member
Your primary looks good. Should be 0.56-0.84 at room temperature.
Your secondary looks high. Should be 5.68k-8.52k at room temperature.

2004 XT225 purchased new in October 2004 0 miles. Current miles over 27,000.
Re: No Spark----Spark Coil? [Re: BigSm0ke] #143525 11/11/18 02:48 AM
BigSm0ke Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you, I just tested without the spark plug connector piece on and got 7.46K ohms. Seems the endpiece is experiencing resistance. Will see what I can do.

The race was definitely underway. I had witnessed the start, I was sure of that much. But what now? What comes next?
Re: No Spark----Spark Coil? [Re: BigSm0ke] #143526 11/11/18 03:15 AM
BigSm0ke Offline OP
OP Offline
I tried testing for spark without the connector piece on and it's still not getting any. Starting to wonder whether this could be a stator issue.

Or maybe wiring/connectors..

I have seen Muniac mention that stators can gradually fail though.

I'll keep combing through everything.

Edit:

Did some basic stator resistance tests. Got to testing resistance between Brown and Green wires.....Infinite resistance...(When it should be testing @ 584-876 ohms)

Luckily have a parts XT with a stator that checks out so will be extracting that.

Last edited by BigSm0ke; 11/11/18 04:42 AM.

Re: No Spark----Spark Coil? [Re: BigSm0ke] #143527 11/11/18 04:52 AM
patuca Offline
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Hi BSO:

The plug cap has a noise suppression resistor (10 Kohm) it's supposed to have a resistance.

Don't move too fast your measurements look okay, and what could change with the bike just sitting a few weeks?

I've seen a bikes torn and stuff replaced because the side-stand or clutch switch was on, or a simple loose wire. I hate to admit that once I worked hours on my bike only to discover I had accidentally tripped the kill-switch riding in the bush.

Do all the easy stuff before you assume it's serious. Especially check anything you changed doing you recent work.

patuca

"this will only take a second..."
Re: No Spark----Spark Coil? [Re: BigSm0ke] #143528 11/11/18 08:58 AM
BigSm0ke Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey Patuca thanks for your reply smile

I ended up replacing the stator with the one from my parts bike. This has fixed the problem.

The multimeter not giving me an ohm reading between the brown+/green wires coming out of the stator made me believe the stator was the problem via what I read on this forum.

I was highly suspicious of all the other safety features that might have been preventing spark... If I had known how to check them all properly I probably would have, but I knew the bike was running fine up until it was parked.

So hard for me to believe that the stator would just die after running flawlessly for all this time. We did have some extremely hot/humid weather in the last couple of weeks combined with some rain. (Although I cover my bike) I don't know whether that might have affected things, but all I know is there is 0 continuity between Green/Brown+ inside the dead stator.

I might have a closer look at the dead stator to see if maybe the wiring had a problem.

Was so scared I'd wasted my time w/ this job but thankfully not!

And yeah I have the killswitch burned into my mind after a couple of scares where it wouldn't crank due to being switched off!

My question now is...How long is this used one going to last? shocked

Enjoy yourself-

Bigsmoke

Re: No Spark----Spark Coil? [Re: BigSm0ke] #143529 11/11/18 11:19 AM
#brer15 Offline
Silver Member
Silver Member
Originally Posted By: BigSm0ke

My question now is...How long is this used one going to last?
Riding conditions may be a factor. While others have reported lower life spans, mine is still the original after 14 years and over 27,000 miles.

2004 XT225 purchased new in October 2004 0 miles. Current miles over 27,000.
Re: No Spark----Spark Coil? [Re: BigSm0ke] #143530 11/11/18 02:36 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
It's the magneto coil (part of the stator) which goes bad usually. Wound with very fine wire and delicate. My bike failed slowly. Jeannie's bike was running fine one day then died completely the next. Magneto coil opened up. There's a rubber bulkhead/grommet through the engine case. Also some connectors. Both should be looked at carefully. You may find a bad connection and/or a broken wire. An open resistance measurement nails down the magneto "circuit" as failed. Take that same measurement close to the coil's pigtails (less any connections). You can use two safety pins to push into the wiring close to the coil for checking. Gets you right at the coil. I'll wager you'll find it's bad.

No clue on life expectancy on a used stator assembly. That will be a crap shoot. Hope you don't roll snake eyes. Given the effort involved, I always opt for new OEM parts for such repairs. Especially if you're riding on remote trails and/or in the back country. Good luck and be safe.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: No Spark----Spark Coil? [Re: BigSm0ke] #143532 11/12/18 08:56 AM
BigSm0ke Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you all for replies.

Today I tried cutting/testing the brown/green wires close to the magneto and it was still having no continuity.

Not sure what to do with the broken stator...Get it repaired as a spare? (Maybe it would be cheap if I just got them to rewire the magneto coil?) Or maybe a spare brand new stator would be in order haha.

This experience has been a valuable lesson on testing/diagnosing the stator.

I do ride remote so stator reliability is a major concern.

Appreciate the help everyone.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention it seems to be kicking to life a lot better on a cold start too. Not sure if I'm imagining that, but leading up to the magneto's failure it wasn't kicking straight to high rpm w/ choke(Like it did when I first bought the bike at the beginning of the year), it would kind of chug up to it.

Last edited by BigSm0ke; 11/12/18 09:03 AM.

Re: No Spark----Spark Coil? [Re: BigSm0ke] #143533 11/12/18 03:58 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Experiencing gradual negative changes in stator performance is normal. It happened to me. In my case the stator never completely failed, it just slowly output reduced voltage. Over about 1 year.

Given how that unit is constructed, I can't imagine a rebuild being cost effective, all things considered. At around $260 USD, it isn't amongst the most expensive stators. Some on ATVs go over $700! Heat, vibration and oil break down the insulation within the magneto coil causing windings to short out. The same effects can completely break a connection. Perhaps where a pigtail lead enters the coil.

Glad you found the problem and corrected it. A hot spark will help improve starting for sure. It wouldn't hurt to take an accurate resistance measurement of the replacement magneto coil as a baseline. Take it cold as that's easiest. Over time compare current readings with your baseline to head off early any potential failures. Ride safely.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,615
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,064
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,153
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,112
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics