Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Once in Lifetime (?) Trip....Made Possible by XT's #69469 09/17/10 04:24 AM
redninja Offline OP
Bronze Member
OP Offline
Bronze Member
So...I wanted to go see "The Wave", which is a unique geological formation in the Middle of Nowhere, Utah. Most people have probably seen a picture of it on a scenic calendar, screensaver, etc. Problem is, only 20 people are allowed in each day. Permits for 10 slots per day are distributed in an advance lottery on the i-net, and the other 10 per day are given out at the ranger station daily in a "walk-in" lottery.I had failed at 2 attempts to get one on-line, so I decided to just go there and see what happened.

Now, this would take careful planning. And,the XT's were an absolutely integral part of the plan.......We drove the truck camper with XT's in tow to Utah, then over near the ranger station. The isolated campground was 10 miles down a very primitive road, so we knew once we got to the campground, the truck/camper wouldn't be moving....we would use the XT's to zip over to the ranger station daily to try for a permit.That worked out fabulously; the road was really fun to ride on....scenic, with ruts, rocks, sand, etc. to keep things interesting. The round trip to the ranger station would be 30 miles.

Here is the campground.....

In the closer view, we see the Serows have surreptitiously sneaked to the front of the campsite, being anxious to get on the road.

Having just arrived, however, we had to set up camp, and relax a bit; here is Spouseman dog-sitting...

The next morning, we went to the ranger station. 57 people were there, all hoping to get one of 10 spots. We did not get one. No worries, though, since we had the XT's to entertain us all day. There were many nice dirt roads (BLM), and they were actually marked with numbers, so it was a carefree day of sightseeing......

Next morning, there were 33 people at the ranger station. And.......WE GOT A PERMIT !!! It was for the next day, so we had another day of riding. This time, we incorporated some pavement, and made a loop, over to Jacobs Lake, which is a campground with store and gas station, etc. in the area of the north rim of the Grand Canyon. We had been to the rim before, so we did't go this time. Now...to the HIKE....TO THE WAVE !!!!

But first, we had to use the Serows again, to drive the mile to the trailhead parking lot. Then, the trail... it started out being visible....

With nice scenery, of course....

Soon, the trail disappeared, and the surface went from dirt/sand to all rock. The BLM had given everyone a handout that included a topo map and pictures of a series of rock formations and other landmarks. We were to head toward whatever was shown in the picture, then, once there, sight the next "point", head there, and keep repeating.

Well, after the first "point", Spouseman decided I was headed the wrong way, and took off on his own. Of course, he had no map or pictures to follow. So, of course, he never made it to THE WAVE. The only problem was, my motorcycle key was in his backpack. Oh well...no time to worry about that now.......ONWARD !!!

The terrain shifted between sloped/slickrock to vast expanses of sand, and, I was the only one out there, as far as the eye could see...what a great feeling! It was warm, around 90F, but there was a breeze. I walked slowly and sipped at my water constantly.

Sometimes there were long stretches between the "landmarks"....

But, there was never a lack of things to see

Eventually, I arrived !!

This is the first part of The Wave that one sees. Then....

I could have stayed there for hours, but had to get back to the campsite to take care of the dogs...and, oh yeah...had to see about sending out a search party for Spouseman! A few of the scenes leaving The Wave...

After hiking about 7 miles round trip, I arrived at the parking lot....2 Serows were there....hmmmmm.....as I said before, Spouseman had my key in his pack. So, I walked a mile back to the campground, got the extra key, tended to the dogs, then headed back to the parking lot to retrieve my XT. Eventually Spouseman showed up at the campsite...he had wandered off the route and sat and waited for me to go by, but he could see neither me nor any of the other hikers because he was not in the right place. I think he was less than 2 miles from the start, so he eventually went back.

It was a wonderful trip...perfect weather, and a deserted campground. I plan on going back next year, with some better maps of the BLM roads, so even if I never again get a hiking permit, there will always be great roads and scenery.

redninja
Re: Once in Lifetime (?) Trip....Made Possible by XT's [Re: redninja] #69471 09/17/10 04:30 AM
L
LRJ Offline
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
L
What a cool expedition! The rock, the colors and the patterns look just awesome. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

LRJ Take time to play. / '07 xt225/'00 TT-R250
Tusk Bark Busters & Hand Guards / 3KCustoms Aluminum Rack
Re: Once in Lifetime (?) Trip....Made Possible by XT's [Re: redninja] #69474 09/17/10 04:39 AM
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!
MR SEROW!
Hi Redninja,

what a stunning place to visit and I can just imagine how the colours, shades and shadows change during different lighting conditions.

Thanks for posting some beautiful images.

Reggie

Team Cabra, Brazilian XT225, Team Ukulele, Japan import XT225, a 250 to be named and loads of 2 stroke Kawasaki AR's!
Re: Once in Lifetime (?) Trip....Made Possible by XT's [Re: Reggie] #69479 09/17/10 04:49 AM
Ben Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I had a once in a lifetime trip once,

Never again......

Great pics, stunning views, thanks for sharing.

2007 serow 250 from new, now gone to a new home. 2022 Gasgas EC300
Re: Once in Lifetime (?) Trip....Made Possible by XT's [Re: Ben] #69488 09/17/10 12:41 PM
Slojoe Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Hi Redninja, thanks for the great report.

Slojoe
Re: Once in Lifetime (?) Trip....Made Possible by XT's [Re: LRJ] #69509 09/17/10 06:36 PM
redninja Offline OP
Bronze Member
OP Offline
Bronze Member
Originally Posted By: LRJ
What a cool expedition! The rock, the colors and the patterns look just awesome. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I'm always glad to share, LRJ, since I enjoy reading everyone's RR's and seeing all the pictures.

redninja
Re: Once in Lifetime (?) Trip....Made Possible by XT's [Re: Reggie] #69511 09/17/10 06:41 PM
redninja Offline OP
Bronze Member
OP Offline
Bronze Member
Originally Posted By: Reggie
Hi Redninja,

what a stunning place to visit and I can just imagine how the colours, shades and shadows change during different lighting conditions.

Thanks for posting some beautiful images.

Hi, Reggie...I think I missed the optimum lighting time...the ranger had said it was best at about 2 o'clock, and I think I was there earlier (I'm retired, and NEVER wear a watch!). It would have been interesting to stay there for several hours, though, to see things change.....

redninja
Re: Once in Lifetime (?) Trip....Made Possible by XT's [Re: Ben] #69512 09/17/10 06:43 PM
redninja Offline OP
Bronze Member
OP Offline
Bronze Member
Originally Posted By: Ben
I had a once in a lifetime trip once,
Never again......
Great pics, stunning views, thanks for sharing.

Good one, Ben!

redninja
Re: Once in Lifetime (?) Trip....Made Possible by XT's [Re: Slojoe] #69513 09/17/10 06:47 PM
redninja Offline OP
Bronze Member
OP Offline
Bronze Member
Originally Posted By: Slojoe
Hi Redninja, thanks for the great report.

You're very welcome, Slojoe.....and all I can say about your fork work report is .....DA-YAM! You da MAN !!!

redninja
Re: Once in Lifetime (?) Trip....Made Possible by XT's [Re: redninja] #69518 09/17/10 07:52 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Between The Wave and some of the awesome slot canyons north of the Grand Canyon, that's mighty pretty country up that way Redninja! Once my better half gets through this rough patch we're going to have to get out and see these places first hand! Don't believe I'll ever get her on an XT, but she's a pretty good hiker once she has her sea legs under her, so it's all doable!

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 42 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,621
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,074
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,163
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,114
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics