Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
$25 DIY Highway Bars / Pegs #66299 07/12/10 02:30 AM
W
Walton36 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I just got this mounted this evening and tried them out :

I used to have an HD 883 Sportster with a set of these mounted. I paid over $40 US for the set nearly 7 years ago. These were constructed from stuff I found solely at Lowe's for a total of 25 USD not including tools and locktite(you can use a tube so many times.) Here's what you need :

2 - (5/16)" nuts
4 - (1/4)" flat washers
2 - 2" x (5/16)" hex head bolts
2 - 2" x 4" angle bracket(1/8" thick galvanized) from lumber area
2 - 3" x (5/16)" hex head bolts or metric equivalent. These replace the stock frame to crankcase bolts so if you ride off-road much or jump any, be sure to get high-quality bolts that are same diameter as the factory metric bolts. Mine were slightly under but I ride easy 90/10.
4 - (1/4)" flat washers or metric equivalent
2 - (5/16)" nuts or metric equivalent
1 - 1" x 3' perforated steel tube or they have a 1.5" or 2" I believe, if you like the fat look. 1" is more than strong enough

TOOLS
*A drill and bits for steel up to diameter of bolts, maybe a little over. I gauged mine by the holes in the tubing and never looked at the size marking, sorry.
*Hack-saw or carbide blade in a SkilSaw.
*Wrenches/Ratchets
*3"+ C-clamp for drilling
*Sharpie
*Carpenter Square
*Blue Temporary Loc-Tite(should have it for your dual-sport anyway!)
*A loving wife to allow the use of her kitchen! (or your own workshop)

NOTE: There's a short bolt and its nut/washer in the photo that I didn't need because the angle brackets fit the XT frame so perfectly. The bolt was intended to stabilize the brackets from pivoting and stressing the other bolts.

I used a few zinc plated nuts and bolts, but in hindsight I should have gotten all galvanized. I didn't realize Lowe's carried galvanized parts in such a variety until my second visit. These bolts positioned right behind the front tire and catch all kinds of weather. Just look at the stock bolts after only 2700 miles.

To Begin:
Remove the factory bolts and make sure your brackets fit properly. The bolt holes should be pretty close to the edges of the brackets since you don't want the brackets mounted too securely in the event the bike lands on them. I'd much rather tear the brackets off than tweak the frame or crank case! The brackets I used are flexible enough that I think they will bend in that event. I also plan to cut flex points into the bar to help it bend and absorb the energy of a crash.

NEXT:
Have yourself a Well-Made red-eye

THEN:
Center the brackets together on the bar with the bolt holes as they will be mounted, and drill the holes. I started with a full size bit for a few seconds to get an accurate center point, then went to a (1/8)" bit to get all the way through. It really helps to work your way up over 3-4 bits if the bits are old and dull.

Keep track of which bracket is top and bottom as it becomes important when you mark the holes for the frame mounting

THE TRICKY PART:
Mark the bolt holes for the frame. make sure you get this right or you will need more brackets!

To accomplish this, I marked and drilled the top hole on the right side of the bike since it is easiest to access. Then I inserted a bolt in that hole to hold everything steady while I marked the next hole below it. Once the two holes were drilled, I could put a clean bolt in one and a bolt with black grease on the end in the other to mark where to drill next. Spin it around a little to get an accurate mark. Don't use too much grease!

Bolt it all together to make sure everything is kosher, then get an idea how wide you want it to be. I decided on 12" on each side to keep it a little narrow. A length of 24" and one cut.

When mounting everything for the final time, be sure to put the Loc-Tite on EVERY nut. This is a high vibration area and you do not want this bar coming off.

Once its on it should look something like this:

I plan to add folding pegs, rubber mounting for vibration isolation, and for winter maybe removable wind deflectors for my legs.

The whole thing is yet to be painted. Not sure if I should go with a black to match the body panels or a silver to match my frame and rims. What do you guys think?

I put almost 100 miles on them this evening and let me just say the added comfort is AMAZING! Gotta have it for touring.

Re: $25 DIY Highway Bars / Pegs [Re: Walton36] #66301 07/12/10 03:17 AM
K
kydave Offline
K
Looks good and strong. Rubber washers for the bar attatchment should help. Maybe some kind of rubber for where your feet will go should help keep them in position. Be sure and show us any further modifications. Nice job!

2007 XT-225
Modifications: Moose Racing Hand Gaurds, Brian Swenson Spider Rack, Delorme PN-30 GPS, Butt Pad, Trail Tech TTO Tachometer.
1982 XR-80
1982 XR-80
1972 Indian SE-74
1970 Indian Super Scrambler
Re: $25 DIY Highway Bars / Pegs [Re: Walton36] #66321 07/12/10 03:50 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You did a good job on those highway bars Walton. If you're using your XT strictly as a touring bike I can see where they'd be a nice addition.

Looking at how far they stick out to each side however I'd be reluctant to leave them in place when riding off road - which is what the majority of us do with our bikes at one time or another. To solve that problem maybe hinged foot peg extensions that fold up out of the way for off road use is the answer. Of course if you never get off road with your XT then what you've cooked up should serve just fine!

Anyway a good looking job, and a nice set of photos to illustrate it!

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: $25 DIY Highway Bars / Pegs [Re: Az4x4] #66339 07/12/10 10:24 PM
B
Barnone Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
B
I have been running my engine guard/highway pegs for several years on and off road without any problems. They have survived several low speed dumps.

They are similar to the Walton's and are from Whitehorse made to fit a KLR650 so I had to make brackets to fit my XT225.
http://www.whitehorsegear.com/klr650-engine-guard-with-highway-pegs-from-studebaker

Last edited by Barnone; 07/12/10 10:31 PM.

Vince - 2009 TU250X
Re: $25 DIY Highway Bars / Pegs [Re: Az4x4] #66340 07/12/10 10:25 PM
W
Walton36 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thanks for the suggestions you guys. I will post later changes as I do them. Hopefully I can pretty these things up some and also make
em more off-roadable. Right now they stick out appx. 3/4" past the passenger pegs when they are down for use and are about 2-3" higher off the ground.

Its so cool how you can stretch out on these things. Totally changes how your bones meet the seat. Feels a little like ridin a cruiser with forward controls
and drag bars. Took a few shots to show the posture, as some may wonder if these might be too high, they're not.

No Worries...

Better to have rode it and got wet, than to have not ridden at all.
Re: $25 DIY Highway Bars / Pegs [Re: Walton36] #66341 07/12/10 10:34 PM
W
Walton36 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Barnone,

Im glad you posted. Your bars are super nice. I had considered my bars for a couple weeks and then spotted yours and realized it was possible. I couldn't find your post to give credit.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Re: $25 DIY Highway Bars / Pegs [Re: Walton36] #66342 07/12/10 10:45 PM
B
Barnone Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
B
Walton,
Your welcome. I'm always happy to see XTers experimenting with new mods. I've copied a few myself.

Vince - 2009 TU250X
Re: $25 DIY Highway Bars / Pegs [Re: Barnone] #66343 07/12/10 11:14 PM
W
Walton36 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
It would be cool to see how many other riders have highway bars mounted. Its pretty easy to do. I'd love to see a few people
with this mod or something similar.

Its great to hear they can take a few dumps. I doubt mine would be a sturdy as yours in that respect. I planned on the bar
or brackets bending to save the frame in a high speed lay-over. Maybe I'm too worried, especially since you have had no trouble,
but I keep thinking - Bar-$15, Brackets-$5, XT Frame...

Re: $25 DIY Highway Bars / Pegs [Re: Walton36] #66356 07/13/10 05:08 AM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
I don't have any pictures (yet) but I used a set of motormount highway pegs from MC Enterprises made for a Honda Rebel. They did not fit the Rebel, so I slightly modified them, and they fit the XT fairly well. I also learned not to buy stuff from MC Enterprises, they make junk. These things have fold up pegs if you drop the bike, plus the brackets are so flimsy they would probably bend if you dropped the bike on them. But the worst part of it, is they are not as comfortable as I thought they would be. They are good for changing your leg position for a little bit, as are the passenger pegs (on the road), but they just don't work with the low bars. Having to stick your feet way out front is fine on a cruiser, with high bars, so you can sit upright on the seat, but having to lean forward to reach the bars while also putting your feet way forward just isn't comfortable. And I have bar risers. Jerry.

The above is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
1994/2001 custom built XT225 with a ton of aftermarket parts.

Re: $25 DIY Highway Bars / Pegs [Re: JerryH] #66369 07/13/10 08:23 PM
W
Walton36 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Jerry, I see what you mean about the low handlebars. Risers crossed my mind before the end of that 100 miles. I slid way up on the seat near the tank and that allowed me to rest my arms, I even found it comfortable to place my left elbow on my knee and rest the weight of my shoulders there. Seams the seat is a little softer/deeper right there too.

My fiance wants a sissy-bar before she will ride with me. We rode 2-up for 45 minutes one time and her back hurt a little afterward. I believe if I put a sleeping bag between me and the sissy-bar on a long trip, I would have a super-comfortable riding position with my feet on the highway bars.

I have seen pictures of XT's with the passengers seat loaded down and thought being pushed forward would be uncomfortable with the stock pegs underneath position becoming almost behind you. These bars should cure that in my opinion.

Just for reference, Im about 5'11 200lbs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,615
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,064
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,153
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,112
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics