Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic] #54929 10/19/09 07:58 PM
Chartman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What is unique is your frame is different than my 1999 XT225.. Which happens to
be yet different again than my 1994 XT225 frame..

As I mention on the 1994 XT225 frame the nub is welded on.. On the 1999 XT225
the kickstand plate & the kickstand sensor plate is one piece.. But on your XT225
the kickstand plate is one piece and the kickstand sensor plate is another piece..

When I looked at your pic above.. I was going to recommend that instead of just
tapping the plate and using just a bolt.. My idea would be after tapping the hole..
Use a longer bolt with a nut and two oversize fender washers to help prevent the
thread from being ripped out of the plate..

After typing my idea and before posting.. I went and re-looked at my 1999 XT225
and came to the conclusion that the nut idea would not work on my 1999 XT225..
Because where nut should sit is not flat and the nut would also hit the chain..

This idea may work with your XT225 because your kickstand plate is much thinner
than the one on my 1999 XT225.. Good luck finding a fix.. Cheers.. smile

Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Chartman] #55070 10/23/09 03:15 AM
M
Mic Offline OP
Member L1
OP Offline
Member L1
M
Well, I'm down in Oregon again for the weekend. So I'll get some more work on it this weekend.

Hopefully I'll get the steering stem on, this depends on if I get the new oven working and able to powder coat.

Anyways. I've been having all my stuff shipped down here, so here's a teaser pic of some of the stuff that came in over the last week.

Pirelli Scorpion A/T tires (Front and back)
4mm heavy duty tubes
rim strips
large spoon
2 small spoons
Trailtech Dash Kit (I have a vapor stealth on order as well)
Windshield
Rectangle Mirrors
Shorty black levers
2lbs of Light Gray Powder

And...

My recovered in light gray vinyl seat.

Oh Yah!

Hopefully I can get the stem in this weekend, and get it standing on its own. Then if I have time, I'll start getting all of the crap attached to the inside of the frame.

Who knows, long ways off, but maybe a running bike soon?

People ask if I am a Motorcyclist or a Biker. I say "Yes". I am a Rider. I ride to ride for my own reasons. Whether it be to work, or to that little burger joint just down the road 300 miles away.
Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic] #55141 10/25/09 05:38 AM
M
Mic Offline OP
Member L1
OP Offline
Member L1
M
Another teaser pic

People ask if I am a Motorcyclist or a Biker. I say "Yes". I am a Rider. I ride to ride for my own reasons. Whether it be to work, or to that little burger joint just down the road 300 miles away.
Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic] #55144 10/25/09 09:46 AM
D
dbarale Offline
D
It looks like a bike again, almost there!
Thanks for the pic BTW, I was thinking about painting my frame and swigarm black and I was wondering what it would look like with a light color paint job. Now I know, black it is...

Daniel
Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: dbarale] #55181 10/26/09 01:58 PM
M
Mic Offline OP
Member L1
OP Offline
Member L1
M
Part 8 is up!

Part 8: Published 10-26-09

Finally seeing the bike take shape, and getting caught up, we see what stood as a skeleton of bare metal, start to take form of a motorcycle, but not without a hiccup here and there.

"Boy! What a weekend!

I was originally going to name this issue of MOF “The exploady burny” issue, but decided against that… And more on that later. Right now, lets jump right into things!"

Continue Reading at Life's a Breeze: The Adventures and Projects of Mic

Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic] #55295 10/30/09 06:17 PM
Moto Psycho Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That is looking S A W E E T Mic. Keep it up and keep us posted....cool

Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic] #55301 10/30/09 07:36 PM
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!
MR SEROW!
Hi Mic,

looks like you got plenty done over the weekend and, before you know it, another weekend's already here!

Reggie

Team Cabra, Brazilian XT225, Team Ukulele, Japan import XT225, a 250 to be named and loads of 2 stroke Kawasaki AR's!
Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Reggie] #55364 11/02/09 04:47 AM
M
Mic Offline OP
Member L1
OP Offline
Member L1
M
well back from another weekend. I didn't do a whole lot this weekend, so the update I write up on my site will be very short, and only a couple pictures if not even just 1.

So until I get it written up, I'll just kinda point out some of the major things.

I got that rear wheel trued. I ended up buying a static balancing stand and a nice dial indicator set, and went at it.

I got the shoes on the wheels. I learned that Ultra Heavy Duty Tubes are a pain in the ass, and will stick to just standard heavy duty from here on out.

I got the Carb in the bike

I got the wire harness (Unfinished) ran throughout the bike to kinda place things.

I didn't start it up. I actually could have though, considering I had all of the pieces in place. I just don't want to until I have more of it done.

Other than that, I'm at the point where I need to finish up the wire harness and plan the new relays/fuse box I'm going to use for it. I also need to wait for my Trailtech Vapor to come in so I can not only get the wiring setup for it, but as well as design the new Headlight/Dash mounts.

The major work left is Fabrication, and painting.

I decided to say goodbye to the handlebars I bought. They are 1 1/8 fat bars, and I just don't feel like making special mounts for my handguards and the windscreen. So I'm saying screw it and going with standard 7/8 bars.

So I'll just throw the bars with the adapters up on our local forum I belong to in this area for like 40 to 50 bucks. Hell the adapter/risers are I think 60 bucks MSRP. So yah, decent deal with the bars and risers I think. Someone will want them for a project, I'm sure.

So now I've been looking at what bars I want to go with, I can go with some high bars, some flat bars, I don't know wth I want right now. I do like the overall "look" and feel of the fatbars I bought, which is why I bought them in the first place.

I sat and looked at the bike where that Nub goes. After much thinking, I'm going to build a Center Stand for it. So It will be a kickstand less XT when It's all done. I just don't want to hassle with that nub right now. When it gets a little more paint chipped off in places, then I'll punch a new one in and wield it in the back maybe.

So I started to get mental images for how I was going to do the Center Stand. Have an idea that I penciled out. Uses the stock stiff spring that the kickstand uses. I think I have a design that utilizes the proper fulcrum and pivot point for it to work properly, without really reducing a whole lot of ground clearance. I have a feeling it will be a long trial and error process.

Already penciled out the new headlight mount/dash. Penciled out the Indicator mounts. I am utilizing the new Yamaha style indicators. They can be completely changed out in less than 30 seconds. So they are quick and easy. And with them being used on Sport Bikes, you see them for sale in local classifieds/forums/ebay all the time for dirt cheap. I had 2 sets of my own, so that's why I got the idea of using them.

penciled out the design for the rear rack.

So this weekend was spent mainly taking measurements, laying down on the floor staring at everything, and letting the gears in my head turn freely to see what they come up with.

Well it looks like I wrote a bit more than I was planning on. Hell, maybe I'll just cut and paste this into my damned blog and call it Part 9.

But then, I'd have to make sure I left you with...

Until Next Time!
wink

Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic] #55366 11/02/09 05:55 AM
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!
MR SEROW!
Mornin' Mic,

sounds like you did a bit more than you thought!

Keep up the good work.

Reggie

Team Cabra, Brazilian XT225, Team Ukulele, Japan import XT225, a 250 to be named and loads of 2 stroke Kawasaki AR's!
Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Reggie] #55368 11/02/09 01:43 PM
M
Mic Offline OP
Member L1
OP Offline
Member L1
M
Part 9 Posted!

Decisions Decisions Decisions. It has all come down to Decisions. The bike is up on its own wheels, carb is in place, exhaust is in place, and the wire harness is somewhat in place. All the pieces needed to start her up, and I just let it set. More time spent thinking, planning, measuring than actual work took place in this update, so it is short, simple, full of babble and a couple pictures to compliment it.

"Any man who believes he controls the machine is in a state of denial that can only be accompanied by his obsession of power over things he can not yet understand. The heart of the machine has the power to take control of our mortal self, with our adrenaline infused hearts pumping in complete rhythm to the stroke of the motor, our minds linked at the wheel sensing every inch of the ground below us, and our souls melded into a single entity that cries into the open night sky, begging for it to never end. Any man, who believes he controls the motorcycle, tossing aside all respect for the mechanical being in which sits before him, will most likely die for his mistake."

Read More at: Life's A Breeze - The Adventures and Projects of Mic

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,620
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,072
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,160
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,113
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics