Fab Ads
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39850 - 11/01/08 04:58 PM The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project
Mic Offline
Member L1

Loc: Washington, USA
I started this on my Blog at pnwriders.com and got linked back to this site by Todd right here: http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=39750#Post39750 . Seems some people are interested in this project, so I'm going to go ahead and post up my Blog Entries into this thread.

So here we go!

#39851 - 11/01/08 04:58 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Mic Offline
Member L1

In 1992, my parents introduced me to what would become a good friend of mine for years to come. This friend though, over the last several years, has become old and worn out. For 3 years, she has sat, tucked away alone in a small shop in Oregon, just wasting away.

Now, it is my turn to provide for her, the fun and care, that she once provided to myself.

My XT225, although old, and most would probably just toss away, is still a good bike. I spent a lot of years on that bike, and rode, pretty much every single day of the year. To my surprise, I had originally thought she had about 42k miles on her, before the Speedo cable broke. When I went to pick her up from Oregon this weekend, she actually has 54k miles.

I am not certain exactly what my plans are to do yet. I have thought about keeping it as much stock as possible, but I also kinda wanna give it a new life. I think it deserves that much.

Over the next several weeks, I will be stripping this bike down to the frame.

Here's a list (off the top of my head) of things that needs to be done.

For starters, the fuel tank has a bunch of small holes in it. I will be relining the tank first thing.

The frame, swingarm, and other little bits and pieces of the exterior will go off to be sand blasted and powder coated.

Engine needs to be torn down, inspected and most likely have the valves adjusted. I can't remember the last time that was done.

Carburetor needs to be rebuilt.

She will keep the stock side plastics, and rear fender. The front headlight assembly however, will be an aftermarket assembly. I am currently thinking one of these two.

Acerbis Cyclops

Polisport IMX

I will also be replacing the huge stock front fender with one of the Acerbis Aftermarket ones.

The seat needs to be completely redone. It lost the vinyl on it years ago.

Will do something with the current turn signals and tail light. They are all busted up.

Will update this more later on.

#39852 - 11/01/08 04:59 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Mic Offline
Member L1

On to part 2 of this adventure, today I'm going to go over last nights work that was done.

I took a couple days off from starting this project overall. I wanted to take the time to research a few things, plan my attack on the project, and think of what I want for an outcome. I spend a lot of time going over in my head, what exactly I would like to perform, prior to doing the job. It helps me push myself through it, to get to the final outcome.

Last night, I tore into the fuel system of the bike, mainly just the fuel tank bits. I want to start working on the restoration of the fuel tank, petcock, and carburetor ASAP, as there are certain steps that take a while.

So last night, I pulled off all of the hardware off of the tank, and started the long task of restoration on it. I'll type up more later about the tank restoration once it is completed. I actually posted a writeup in a thread in the Mechanical forum of the steps I take to restoring a tank. This one requires a bit of TLC. Not the worst of them, but definitely up there on the list.

I pulled the fuel cap apart, it was terrible. It was rusted, corroded, and overall, barely worked well. I soaked it in oil since Sunday, and last night I was able to free it up enough that it worked. I then soaked it in WD40 for an hour, brushed off as much of the big chunks of corrosion, and set it in a bucket of Metal Ready.

Petcock was pulled apart, inspected, cleaned up, and put to the side.

This morning I ordered a Carb rebuild kit and petcock rebuild kit.

So not a whole lot accomplished, just little things. Next things to do is continue on the Tank Restore, and do a compression and leak down test on the motor, followed by valve check and adjustments if necessary.

Here are some Photo's though of the project.

Hard Life... I remember repairing the swingarm in 97

It's gotten a little worn in places...

You cannot tell really well from the photo, but that is the exposed from on the underside of the fender. So much sand, dirt and gravel over the years has worn it not only to the bare metal, but has started to flatten the metal frame as well.

Throttle's been used a few times...

The last recorded miles before the speedo cable broke... Honestly? I have no idea how many true miles this bike has on it, well over 60k though.

And the last photo...

I had that wheel respoked years ago. The idiot who respoked it, respoked it backwards, so the tire was shifted to 1 side. Needless to say, I had it respoked before I moved to Oregon, and just never really gave a damn. It rubbed the tire against the chain guard, and caused the chain to hit against the rear tire some at times, but *shrug* I'm still alive :p.

I need to get this respoked again... Just to fix this damned problem. I'd do it myself, but well, ask Tokin how well I am at truing a rim...

Welp, that's it for today! Until Next time!

#39853 - 11/01/08 04:59 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Mic Offline
Member L1

There is not a whole lot to cover in this installment, however just a quick update, a few pictures, and whatnot.

I ordered the Carburetor Rebuild Kit on Wednesday, and on Thursday I was called to be told it would be 3 weeks back ordered. "Yay".

In fact, everything I ordered is back ordered. The Carb Rebuild Kit, the Petcock Rebuild Kit, and the AAV Rebuild Kit is back ordered.

Such is life with old carb parts.

I didn't let that stop me though. I took the time to pull apart the top of the carb and inspect the Diaphragm. It is still flexible, shiny, and no cracks. So I am happy about that. That little piece alone is 130 bucks, and I was not looking forward to replacing it. The slide itself seems in decent enough shape to give the carb years of fun and excitement.

I also continued my restoration on the fuel tank. As of last night, I have added the first layer of lining to it.

Before:

After:

It is coming out great. I will do another couple coats of liner, and call it good.

I also picked up this little puppy yesterday while at Eastside Motosports.

Acerbis Universal SuperMoto front fender. I was actually surprised they had it in stock, and for 26 bucks, I couldn't go wrong with just buying it there (cheapest Online I could find it is 25 bucks, then add shipping).

I will need to order my front headlight assembly still though. I have decided to go with the Acerbis Cyclops. It's just something about the side by side I really like.

I pulled the Exhaust the other night, along with the rear fender.

The exhaust, for the most part, is toast. Well the very tip of it that is. When I pulled it off, something was rattling inside it. I pulled the cap off (which, is held by a single screw, however when I went to remove screw the head of it just completely broke off with little effort do to rust) and sure enough, it was the spark arrestor. It was just so rusted up, it had broken off.

I am thinking of either getting an FMF PowerCore 4 TTR225 exhaust system for it, or just chop the ass end of this one off, and wielding it back together (while removing the core).

It's pretty ugly looking nakkid...

Well that's about it. I went to do a comp test last night, and I don't have the right adapter for the damned hole, so I'm going to go track one down or a whole new comp tester today. Should be fun. Once I verify compression (and leak down) I am going to pull the engine from the bike, and get the frame, swing arm and other bits prepped for blasting and powder coating.

That's it for today!

#39854 - 11/01/08 05:00 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Mic Offline
Member L1

This weekend was a good weekend for the old XT.

It started off Saturday, I stopped by Harbor and picked up a new Compression tester. It's much easier to just buy a new one, instead of bugging your friend that you borrowed the other one from that he forgot to give you the right adapter. Oh well, I really needed to get myself one anyways.

So while at Harbor, I picked up that, and a few other needed items. Some may say they are not needed items, and that I only pick up stuff there on a whim. It is a terrible store for me to go into. Cheap crap that will eventually break if it has any moving parts what so ever, but it works well enough for the few times a year you might actually use it.

On to the Compression test. It was the first thing I did when I got to the shop. I popped it on, and fired it up, and bam, 181lbs of compression. I can't argue with that! So now that the biggest worry was done, I decided it was time to start pulling her down to the nuts and bolts.

Before moving on to that, I went ahead and did another quick coat of tank liner in the gas tank. It now has 4 coats in it, and that is enough. I even went ahead and let a little bit gather in the area that the holes were and just let it sit upright so that it had a thicker layer in that area. I'm more than confident that the tank will hold fuel long after the engine is worn out.

After I had finished messing with the tank, I went ahead and started to pull a few pieces off here and there. A buddy of mine showed up, and BS'ed for a bit, than went to lunch. Got back and decided to go to Eastside Moto, get a battery, and order some more parts. I just needed a clutch perch, and something else I ordered that escapes my mind at the moment. I guess I'll remember when I go pick up the parts when they come in.

I decided, before doing any major deconstruction, that I'd call it a day. I had to be a friends Birthday Party at 7, so I went home, took a shower and got ready.

Sunday, I knew that it would not take me to long to pull the bike apart, so I didn't get down to the shop until about 4. I spent the day enjoying the sun, and rather warm weather to get a little bit of riding in, just to keep my R6 loose.

After my ride, I headed to the shop and started the task of pulling her apart. After a hour or so, I had her in pieces. There really isn't much holding these things apart. 4 bolts for the engine, a bolt for the steering stem, and a couple bolts for the swingarm and rear shock and she was apart.

Now she sits in pieces in the shop, ready to be cleaned up and taken to get powder coated.

Here are some pictures of her all in pieces.

Here's a photo of the steering stem. Of all of the bearings on the bike, these will need to be replaced no questions asked. It's the only set of bearings I ever neglected to keep lubed up often. They were dry, and very worn. New races and bearings, and it will be all good.

Such a small rear shock!

It looks so much worse then it really is. You can tell I kept the swingarm lubed well.

And the Put Put power

Frame looked good, I was expecting to see a crack or 2 but I didn't run across anything. Maybe after it is blasted they will notice a crack. Which I can then weld up.

After more thoughts into the bike, here are a list of the things that I have planned to happen.

Frame is going to be powder coated a khaki color.

Swingarm will be powder coated black, along with the wheels, and other misc hard parts.

Tank, and plastics will be painted khaki with gray accents.

Going to have custom vinyl XT225 stickers made up. I have an idea in my head for them. If I can design them, they will be nice on the bike.

Headlight Assembly of course, is being replaced with the Acerbis Cyclops

Front Fender is being replaced with the Acerbis SuperMoto front fender.

Acerbis Rally Pro hand gaurds.

New bars (Not sure on who's yet)

High Output Stator Conversion

Heated Grips

Auxiliary Lights

Rear Rack and a couple Tool Tubes.

New Exhaust (Or fix and core the current one)

High Flow Air Filter.

TTR/XT Kickstarter kit (Eventually, not a priority)

15F/50R Sprockets

And for the tires? I've not decided. I am open to suggestions. Looking for a 80/20 or a 70/30.

Welp, that's really kind of it for today. Next updates should mostly be stripping, cleaning, coating, and reassembly!

#39855 - 11/01/08 05:00 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Well today's post isn't a whole lot to mention, so I'm giving it a .5 status. Not really a huge "leap" forward in the build project, but just a few things I've done here and there, and what I have found.

As mentioned in my last article, the Steering Stem bearings were shot. I have new ones on order, but now, I am having troubles tracking down the bottom seal. Once I get the bearings in, I'll take measurements of everything, and call up Columbia Bearing or someplace and see if I can't track down a seal.

I started with cleaning up the frame and swing arm. After I was down cleaning the frame, and had gotten rid of all the caked on dirt around the fender mount, I noticed that it was cracked in 2 places. Not a huge issue. I am heading over to a buddy of mines on Sunday to use his MIG welder, and weld up the cracks in the mounting bracket. Shouldn't take more then a couple minutes. Prior to doing this though, I am going to take a wire wheel to every weld on the frame and inspect them over again just to double check.

I also, am very happy on my latest ebay purchase. One problem with the Pre 2001 XT/TTR Motors, is that the Stator only puts out 140 Peak Watts. Now, this would be fine if I was keeping everything 100% stock, however, I am moving it over to a dual headlight setup, as well as Heated Grips and Auxiliary lights (Which will not be on all the time, nor be on at the same time).

This posed a rather large problem. With the headlight, on Low beam,and the tail and running lights and everything else, the draw was going to be about 112watts from the system. That only left 28 watts of energy left.

The 2001+ models of the XT/TTR had an upgraded Stator/Rotor that produced 170watts Peak. That would give me 58 Free Watts of energy, and it is a simple swap.

After checking around ebay, and internet sites, the lowest I could find the Stator for was 175 bucks, not including the rotor.

Well, I decided to shift my thoughts on the whole thing, and started looking for complete engines.

I found a 2001 TTR Engine on Ebay. I bid, and got the damn thing for 96 bucks.

Before I take the thing apart, I'm going to do a Compression test, and Leak Down test on it. If it tests out all right, I'm going to just pull the damned thing apart, part it out, and hopefully make my money back on it. We'll see! Regardless, if the Stator/Rotor are good, I got a damned good deal no matter how I look at it.

I also have the front headlight, and hand guards on order.

The question was asked of me the other day why I am putting so much time and effort into, what the individual thought to be, a "Piece of [censored]". I'm sure some people have the same thoughts.

To me, it's not a piece of [censored]. It's been an excellent bike over the years. It has, treated me well for over a decade and a half. I cannot complain.

I always like to have little projects. I could have easily, done a quick once over on the bike, made a few changes here and there, and had the thing running to abuse again. However, abuse is not what I'm looking for on this bike anymore. Sure, it is going to go on adventures still, but not be carelessly thrashed around, and destroyed like it once was.

I want to give it a new life, and overall, I want to do it. It is a fun project to do for me right now, and it is something I promised I would eventually get around to doing.

It won't much look like a XT when I'm done. In fact, I'm still trying to figure out what it may look like. If it comes out anything like it is in my head? Well, then I am going to be happy.

If it doesn't? Well I will still be happy. So I can't actually say I have any reason not to be happy doing this project.

Ok, I've rattled on long enough. Until Next time!

#39856 - 11/01/08 05:04 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Mic Offline
Member L1

And here is a quick update as of today.

I received this email last night from Motorcyclecarbs.com regarding the Carb Rebuild Kit, and Petcock rebuild kit.

Quote:
Dear Sir:

Your carb kit is back ordered from Japan till the begining to middle of December enroute to our international vendor. once it arrives there it will take about 2 weeks for you to receive it.
I will hold the order as is and ship it when the order is complete unless I hear otherwise from you.

thanks for your understanding.

If you reply please use your full name and or your Order Number.

Robert P Reil

This kind of throws a wrench into things at the moment. I could get the bike running with the carb as is right now, but the petcock needs rebuilt. The gaskets are so dried out, they leak like no tomorrow. Carb was rebuilt back when I rebuilt the engine around 38k, petcock has never been rebuilt. I just figured it would be good preventative maintenance to rebuild the carb while I had the whole bike apart.

#39857 - 11/01/08 05:08 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Matches Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Wenatchee Washington
Quote:
Columbia Bearing
???????? You in Wenatchee?? I'm the parts manager at the local Yama-mama shop - If Columbia Bearing can't get that lower seal, come see me! wink

--thanks for forwording your blog to this web-site! Incredible undertaking....... I'd go through the same trouble to restore an old Serow; there worthy!

#39858 - 11/01/08 05:16 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Matches]
Mic Offline
Member L1

I've spent the last week trying to track down that Seal. My local Yama dealer here said that it was part of the main bearing, and that is why it is not listed on any of the fiche's.

I am in Bellevue, but I grew up on the Dry Side. I'm from the Othello area of Washington.

If you can track down that lower bearing seal, that would be awesome! I bought the bearings seperately (They are easily identifiable part numbers, and had no problems just getting them. Bought both bearings for 12 bucks with the race's).

Also, another thing you may be able to help me with, being a fellow XT owner and knowing what type I need...

I need a 3mm Valve Adjustment Wrench.

Everyone always wants to sale me the damned Motion Pro kit that has the big bulky socket like thing. That def looks like it won't work due to clearance issues. I just need a damned square hole wrench.

#39859 - 11/01/08 05:31 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Matches Offline
Platinum Member

Fished my Fisch and I see what you mean..... looking into after-market supply I can get a kit w/the seal, but you would end up with the bearings that you just bought in addition to the much needed seal..... WPS has them in stock (brand-"ALL BALLS") for $38.95, pt # 22-2025. If Columbia Bearing can't pull through for cheaper, let me know. WPS is showing stock in Idaho, so I could have it as soon as Tuesday. I might be able to cut a deal with my Rep and knock the price down a notch......

#39860 - 11/01/08 05:43 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Matches]
dirtyXT Offline

Loc: Marysville, Washington, USA
Mic:
First off - great project and write up! Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

I bought valve adjustment tool a couple of months ago from Smokey Point Cycle Barn (local Yamaha dlr). They didn’t show anything in their catalogs but I had the number from the XT225 manual. They had to order it from their dist (K&L). Cost was under $10. Make sure that you get the valve cover gaskets also. Those were easy and they had them in stock. Maybe Matches can locate the tool.

#39861 - 11/01/08 05:45 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Matches]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Yah both All-Balls and Moose have kits... Had I known that Seal was going to be impossible to locate, I would have just went that route (Although it's much more expensive).

I cannot imagine that it is a "Special" Seal, especially since there are aftermarket kits available.

Meh

#39862 - 11/01/08 05:47 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Matches Offline
Platinum Member

In all honesty, I'd be more surprised if Columbia Bearing DID'T have the seal - those guys are incredibly resourceful

#39865 - 11/01/08 06:09 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!

Loc: Lancashire, England
Hi Mic,

glad you decided to bring the updates over to this site as well. Looking forward to following your adventure!

Team Cabra, an XT225 yet a little exotic! Welcome to her sister, Team Bjerg, a 2005 XT250.

#39866 - 11/01/08 06:12 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Matches]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Originally Posted By: Matches
In all honesty, I'd be more surprised if Columbia Bearing DID'T have the seal - those guys are incredibly resourceful

That's my thoughts. Once the new bearings are in, I'm going to measure and mic everything out and give them a call.

We used to do a lot of business through them on the farm, which is why I originally mentioned them. Never seem to remember them every saying "You're Screwed"

#39868 - 11/01/08 06:34 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Matches Offline
Platinum Member

Quote:
Never seem to remember them every saying "You're Screwed"

LOL!!

#40248 - 11/10/08 03:45 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Matches]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Well some quick updates/not so much updates...

I was unable to get to my buddies house to weld the fender mount cracks. So that is on hold until he gets back from his vacation. Boooo. Which is going to delay the whole powder coating portion.

The Acerbis Cyclops Headlight and Rally Pro hand guards came in. w00t!

I bought some new bars. I ended up going with a set of Sunline Fat Bars. I got a really good deal from my local MotoShop. I planned on getting some sort of raiser, so I picked up the TAG Universal Bar Mounts, which adapts it to fit the 1 1/8 bar. It raises it up just under an inch, which is good for me.

New clutch perch came in.

Spent the weekend working on 2 parts.

1, I pulled the carb completely apart, removed all the gaskets, plastics parts, and o-rings. I then tossed all the metal bits into a carb dip, soaked for awhile, cleaned up, and re-dipped it.

Everything came out nice and clean. I replaced all of the o-rings, inspected everything else, and buttoned her back up. Hopefully it will work well enough until the rebuild kit comes in.

I also unwrapped the wire harness, to start cleaning it up, as well as some modifications.

The wire harness was diiiiiirty.

I gave it a nice bath in WD-40 to help loosen up the adhesive left before from the tape, and penetrate into the wire. Then I soaked it in a heavy mixture of dish soap and water for an hour.

Rinsed it off, beat it around a bit to shake the water from the connectors, and hung it up last night to dry.

Before I wrap it all back up with new wrap, I'm going to run all of the wires needed for the new Headlight assembly, Aux lights (1 Driving, 1 Fog), and grip warmers.

I picked up a couple relays. Stupid local NAPA. I told them exactly what I needed. A SPST 4-pin, and a SPDT-CO 5 Pin. The brought me out a 4 pin and a 5 pin. Unfortunately, I could not check the 5 pin well enough, cause it was in one of those stupid sealed plastic things that we all love to hate.

I got to the shop and when I opened it, it was just a SPST 5 pin, double output. Arghhh!

So I'm just going to order it off the interwebs.

I'll be using the STDP to run the high/low beams, which will also control the Fog/Driving, so that you cannot have Fog on while High beam is on, as well as have Driving on while Lowbeam is on.

The SPST will be used for the Heaters + an Aux outlet.

I picked up a small fuse box. And then after I got it to the shop, I realized I wanted something even smaller, so I'm going to order a 4 port, mini-blade fuse box, instead of a standard blade fuse box.

I was going to go with inline fuses, but I figured I could find someplace to stash the little mini-blade one, and then I could cut over all fuses to it, so it gives a central location for fuses. Makes it much easier that way.

I also pulled apart the handle bar controls. The left side and the right side, and cleaned those up.

The left side was so dirty inside, that the blinker switch refused the work. It never got used anyways in its prior life.

I pulled both sets apart, soaked everything in WD40 for awhile, removed it all, wiped it all off, and proceeded to put everything back together with healthy doses of dielectric grease.

Everything switches soooo smooth now.

The bearings came in. I still need to track down a seal. I was meaning to get measurements over the weekend, but it slipped my mind.

That's my current small update.

#40251 - 11/10/08 07:01 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!

Hi Mic,

you're getting there matey.

Looking forward to more updates & piccies.

Team Cabra, an XT225 yet a little exotic! Welcome to her sister, Team Bjerg, a 2005 XT250.

#40252 - 11/10/08 09:37 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Reggie]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Loc: Montrose, CO
Mic - Super intense restoration. I've not seen anything this "grounds up" on here ever. Hats off to you for undertaking such a labor intensive project. It's nice to see someone do work at this level and share it with our group. Good luck and thanks for posting here.

#40259 - 11/11/08 02:47 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Muniac]
Moto Psycho Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Far NorCal
Sounds like she's coming along nicely. I can't wait to start seeing some pics of the progress and final outcome....cool

#40261 - 11/11/08 03:21 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Moto Psycho]
Wolf Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Sanson, Manawatu, New Zealand
Mic. Good on ya.

There's a lot of satisfaction in tearing a bike down to its components and putting it back together all fixed (did that with an old 1954 Zundapp scooter but I didn't have to do anything to the engine (I'd previously gotten someone to fix up an issue with the sparkplug hole that'd been "bodged" into some semblance of functionality by a previous owner)).

Great fun, though, stripping it right down, getting bits painted/coated, finding replacements for damaged bits and ending up with an "as-new" machine afterwards.

Looking forward to seeing/reading more.

#40406 - 11/14/08 02:08 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Wolf]
Jnor Offline

Loc: Sydney, Aus.
all i can say is good luck man. im really interested to see how this works out, especially with the re-spray as im thinkin about it myself.

have fun!!

#40426 - 11/14/08 05:32 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Matches Offline
Platinum Member

Quote:
Mic - Super intense restoration. I've not seen anything this "grounds up" on here ever. Hats off to you for undertaking such a labor intensive project. It's nice to see someone do work at this level and share it with our group. Good luck and thanks for posting here.

"Ditto" that, OUTSTANDING job! Can't wait to see more!

#41068 - 11/27/08 03:43 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Matches]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Sorry I have not updated in awhile, but I just have been so busy with work, that I have been unable to get down to the shop. I am in Oregon right now, and actually brought my frame along to weld up the cracks on the frame (fender mount was cracked, that is it), and sand blast the triple so I can powder coat it black.

Ever since I got the news on the backorder of the carb kit, and mainly the petcock, I have not really had motivation to get much done on it. I will hope to get the frame off next week though to have powder coated. I am planning on just doing all black bits, then do the plastics in the tan color. So we'll see how it all comes out.

#42080 - 12/20/08 05:05 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Mic Offline
Member L1

The world hates me.

Carb parts still back ordered, and my Powder Coat guy got laid off a couple weeks ago.

So project on hold now. I have everything else in to start assembling it once I get those two things taken care of. *sigh*

#42087 - 12/20/08 06:14 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!

Hi Mic,

the World doesn't hate you,. after all you must be a good guy to buy a Serow!

Take a break, chill out and we'll look forward to your updates in the New Year.

#42088 - 12/20/08 06:37 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Matches Offline
Platinum Member

Hey Mic, what carb parts are you waiting to come off B/O? I might be able to round up something.....

#42090 - 12/20/08 07:03 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Matches]
raceman Offline
Member L1

Loc: new mexico
great post.Did you find a carb rebuild kit yet? l`m in the process of swapping my stock carb out for a TM33 pumper,you can have the stocker(2000 miles on it only) for $30-shipped if you want and l`ll give you the extra pilot and main jets also..
Bike mods? TM33 pumper carb, Webcams stage 1 cam, FMF powercore exhaust,Transalp low front fender, 8" HID round headlight,Acerbis hand guards, small XR tailight, shortend turn signal stalks,slotted seat mounting tabs.lnstalled AFR gauge with 02 sensor in header to allow for accurate tuning and jetting.Moose braced allow handlebars,raised one inch.hmmm,trick clutch perch/lever and modded brake lever....more stuff..16T frt sprocket, XT350 front wheel which has a wider rim...$$$

#42414 - 12/27/08 05:45 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: raceman]
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Chandler, AZ 85224
Nice project. Sounds like some of the stuff I've gotten into over the years. Aside from personal preferences, the only thing I would have done differently would have been to locate a used fuel tank in good condition, rather than trying to repair the original. I have used muriatic acid to clean rust out of tanks, but if it is so bad that there are actually pinholes in it, I would definitely go with another tank. Neither myself or anyone I know has ever had any luck with tank liner, especially Kreem. It seems to work at first, but then starts to peel off, gas gets behind it, causing it to peel off even faster, and yet there is no way of getting it all out. Vintage motorcycle restorers have told me horror stories about having to cut tanks in half to get that stuff out, weld up the holes, then having to weld the tank back together, and do the finish work on it, about a $1000 job, not including paint. Best of luck with your project. Looking forward to see it finished. Jerry.

#42470 - 12/28/08 04:03 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: JerryH]
stacks Offline

Loc: Florida
how much to get the frame powdered? I just put 2 tac coats and 2 thick coats on my frame then 4 good clear layers on it. all plastics will have 5 coats of clear. I know what ya'll mean about these tanks, I still had a little gas I couldn't get out and when I'd shake it it sounded like sand cause of all the rust. I'm gonna get some cleaner and pea stone and shake them around in there a lil while before I run the bike again. I didn't know what I was getting into when I got into this project.
new ignition and lock $75 (if you need one buy an 06 cause it will still fit and the older models cost about $110)
tube between carb and head $15
paint $150
fork boots $55
swing arm bearing kit $50
air filter $12
exhaust head bolts $10
seat cover $40
right block gasket $12
sparx helmet (50% off) $65
and I think there's more but I can't remember off hand.

#42857 - 01/07/09 04:09 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: stacks]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Hey All,

Just getting back into things after the Holiday Madness.

We lost our shop that we were sub-leasing. We had a pretty good thing going. We were renting out the back warehouse space of a retail business, who only used the front. With the way things are in the economy though, they had to close the doors on the place, so we had to move all our crap out. Currently the poor XT is stuffed in a trailer in multiple pieces =(

I will be moving my operations to a friends garage here shortly. He's made a little room for me to work on my projects. It's a pretty good trade off, as I work on his bikes, he gives me space to work on mine.

So far, this project is just delay after delay. I should have known better. Even though I had delays with my last bike build, it still ended up done a month early. This one which seemed so much more simple to do, was bound to be delayed.

I finally have a lead on someone to blast and powder coat the frame. A friend of mine actually works for a custom bike painter on the weekend, and he has a buddy who can do it. So he is going to get me some costs. Once that is done I can start putting this beast back together. It kind of sucks to have pretty much everything you need, ready to go, and be thrown back together, then be delayed on just a couple "little" items.

I'm all ready to hop on this thing too. I bought myself all new year round riding gear, and I am excited to test it out damnit! *sigh*

And to answer the post above me about the fuel tank issue. I've used POR15 for several years, without issues. It was free for me to do (since I already had leftover POR15 from a bike rebuild last year).

#43004 - 01/10/09 09:56 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Finally some good news! Carb Rebuild Kit and Petcock Rebuild kit finally shipped from the international warehouse. Was told should be here in 1 to 2 weeks! Hurray!

#43064 - 01/11/09 09:23 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Wolf Offline
Platinum Member

Great news on the parts after so long.

Delays, sadly, are inevitable - even with common models of bike like the XT (or even if, like I was, you're not fussy about original parts and are merely hunting down "things that'll fit"). There will be setbacks and delays but it gets done in the end. It was over a year before my Zundapp was back in running condition after I commenced the rebuild - and I've known people who've had resto projects that have run a lot longer. A mate of mine still has his Triumph in bits waiting for parts - and last time I saw it was when I still owned my LS400, so let's say 5 years...

The delays, the difficulties, the setbacks are part of what makes it all worthwhile in the end, for you finally finish with the feeling that you have achieved something of note, something nontrivial. "It were a long, hard road, lad, but we got there!" ("The road was long but I ran it (Janet)"?)

Were it easy, t'would not be as fulfilling.

All the best, here's hoping you get more movement on the project.

Would like to see pics - before and after.

#48530 - 05/20/09 04:32 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Wolf]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Well shoot...

I've been so busy, I've forgotten to give updates.

Here's my current updates

Nothings been done...

Economy has taken its toll for one. I got a pay cut (at least I still have a job), so this Project bike is on hold. I only need to get things powder coated still, and locate a carb/carb rebuild kit.

The rebuild kit for the petcock showed up, but they could not get the carb kit, even after 5 months of backorder.

I had sent money to a gentlemen on this forum who messaged me about selling me his stock carb for 30 bucks, and I never received it, it's now been 5 months.

Eventually, it will get done. Maybe later this summer. I am moving this weekend. I am moving in with a roommate... First time ever, this will be interesting, but it's going to save me a large chunk of cash each month, so that will hopefully get me back rightside up on this project. I really am missing not being in the dirt a little.

Booooo

#48531 - 05/20/09 04:38 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!

Hi Mic,

as you say, at least you've still got a job. Let's hope that the sharing option works well for you both and releases funds for some pleasurable uses.

#53966 - 09/28/09 05:46 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Reggie]
Mic Offline
Member L1

I'm starting to work on this once again! The Frame and Swing-arm are going to my buddy to have powder coated this week!

Also I have a nice new Clarke Tank on order! Special Khaki color as well! I am so excited to start working on this again!

Sadly, I was never able to get my hands on a carb rebuild kit, and raceman never came through on sending me the carburetor I paid him for.

Once I get the frame and swing-arm back, I'll get her assembled, and mocked together so I can figure out how to build the brackets I'm going to need for the new turn signals, headlight, cluster, etc.

Hopefully I'll have it finished this year. That would be a great feeling being a year late on this =)

#53967 - 09/28/09 06:48 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Heber/Overgaard, AZ
Hey Mic, here's hoping the rebuild project finally gains some momentum and you're able to see it through to a satisfactory finish. Too bad that Raceman failed to come through on his end of the bargain. Kinda sucks when one of our XT225 guys treats someone like that. Hopefully you have luck finding a carb rebuild kit somewhere. Looking forward to seeing photos as you begin to put the bike together again..
George '06 XT225:130/42.5-Z1-3turns-K&Nair-KickStarter-DMOpegs-BarkBusters-RearRack-50/50tires-SeatCover-12vOutlet-GPS=Fun!

#53976 - 09/28/09 08:54 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Did some looking for you and found the following carburetor kit for the XT225:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-XT...9271410001r9670
George '06 XT225:130/42.5-Z1-3turns-K&Nair-KickStarter-DMOpegs-BarkBusters-RearRack-50/50tires-SeatCover-12vOutlet-GPS=Fun!

#53983 - 09/28/09 11:20 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Az4x4]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Damn man, thanks! I had looked into it last year, never could find any, and than I ordered from Motorcycle Carbs, they had them on backorder, and they never ended up making it across the big ocean, so about 6 months later they contacted me to reimburse my credit card.

#53987 - 09/29/09 01:21 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

No problem. You need to check to make sure this kit will work on your XT's carburetor before ordering it.

#53998 - 09/29/09 07:01 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Az4x4]
Moto Psycho Offline
Platinum Member

Glad you're back at it Mic. Keep us posted to your progress. Looking forward to seeing the final product....cool

#54139 - 10/01/09 07:43 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Moto Psycho]
Mic Offline
Member L1

On my way out of the house, I got a call. The tank is in! That was quick!

Going to go pick it up on my way up to Production Plating who is doing the Powder Coating for me in Mukilteo Washington.

w00t!

#54153 - 10/01/09 11:53 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Mic Offline
Member L1

a w00t of an update!

Frame/Swingarm is now at the powder coating place! They apparently do a run of the black I picked every 2 days, so he said I should have it back no later than Wednesday of next week!

And my tank came in! Ordered on Tuesday, Arrived at the dealership today! I'm happy with the color =)

#54163 - 10/02/09 05:23 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!

Mornin' Mic,

that's a pretty quick turnaround time. Looking good.

#54164 - 10/02/09 05:25 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Reggie]
Mic Offline
Member L1

The tanks are manufactured about 5 hours from here driving distance.

#54166 - 10/02/09 05:28 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!

Hi Mic,

ah, that does help a little!

#54224 - 10/03/09 04:42 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Reggie]
Mic Offline
Member L1

All, I'm going to continue to just post the blog entries back into this thread, it saves me from massive updates every time I do something =)

So here is Blog 5.0:

Well it has been awhile since I've written in this blog for this series of updates on my XT.

Truth be told, it was a series of events that caused me to stop working on this bike.

But to bring everyone up to speed...

For the most part, all the parts are in for the bike. In fact, I have had everything to make it "Run" since I stopped working on it. I had been needing to still do all of the cosmetic stuff, such as powder coat the frame, sand, prime and paint the plastics, and have the seat re-skinned.

The current list of "need to do's" is as follows.

Carburetor rebuild kit: I had one on order, back in October of 2008. It was on back-order and was told it would take about 2 months. 2 months went by, and they told me that it would be another month. I had forgot about this until about March of this year, when they called me up, and told me that they were going to cancel the order, as the international company they were dealing with, flaked out.

So I am still in need of a Carb Rebuild kit. I had purchased a low mileage carburetor from a fellow "Raceman" on the XT225 forums. Sent him the money, and never received the carb. It is the first time I've ever been burned on an internet transaction (And I built a complete motorcycle off of ebay).

Spoke/Lace rear wheel: The wheel is actually fine, the hub is fine, the spokes are fine. Just the jackass who I had re-spoke it about 12 or so years ago laced it backwards. Short Spokes on Left Side instead of right, causing the whole wheel to align to the left.

With this, I also still need new tires. After a lot of research, it seems a good chunk of thumper people are using Kenda's with 4 mil tubes. Cheap Tires, get good mileage on tarmac riding, and have good trail grip in

Frame/Swingarm Powder Coat: Hopefully this will be happening in the next week. I have brought the frame and swingarm up from Oregon with me to drop off. "yay"

Bracket Fabrication: I have several brackets I need to spend a weekend making on the milling machine. I need to build a couple brackets to hold the new Headlight Assembly (Acerbis Cyclops), The Dash, and 4 brackets to hold the turn signals.

The new turn signals are actually R6 Turn Signals, or more generically, the Current Generation Turn Signals that Yamaha is putting on pretty much everything.

These are extremely easy to find (I had 2 fronts and 2 rears lying around already), cheap (seems nobody likes these blinkers but me!), already built on a rubber post, and they are quick to remove/change out.

Powder Coat Small Parts: I have a powder coat gun, but can only do small parts, so I am going to do those myself.

Those include the peg brackets, lower and upper steering stem brackets, grab bars, and a couple other misc items.

And I'm sure a few other things I am missing!

So a run down of the progress so far since the beggining of this project.

The bike was disasembled
Parts cleaned up
Wire harness was rebuilt (cleaned up, some wires replaced, new ones added for electronics to be added later)
Parts purchased, etc. The bike will be getting a new front fender (Acerbis SuperMoto), Front Headlight (Acerbis Cyclops), New Bars W/1 inch Risers, Guards (Acerbis), Chain/Sprockets, bearings for steering stem and swingarm. I am now thinking I should probably replace the wheel bearings while I am at it.

Yesterday ordered a new custom tank from Clarke Manufacturing. It is a 4.1 Gallon tank, in a custom Khaki Color.

Front Forks are going to be rebuilt. I already spoke to Barry about them, to see if he wanted to take on the job, and he is up for it, so he'll be getting them. (I'll do this once I have the damn bike running)

Rear shock should probably be resprung as well. Not sure what my options are on that!

Other than that, yah, I'm sure I'll have a few things to take care of that I have forgotten. Like always, once things get back to me, and I start assembling and building again, I will update with lots of photo's.

I noticed while browsing through my older blog pages, that all of the links are busted. Mainly because that site is gone, and I need to re-upload the files and change the links.

Until Next Time!

Edited by Mic (10/03/09 04:55 PM)

#54225 - 10/03/09 04:51 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Mic Offline
Member L1

For some reason I am getting an "Internal Server Error" when trying to post my 5.5 blog up.

Edit: Yup, it was cause the post was to long. I put up 2 posts below this one of the 1 update.

Edited by Mic (10/03/09 05:01 PM)

#54226 - 10/03/09 04:57 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Mic Offline
Member L1

My Old Friend - Part 5.5: The Rebirth of an XT

Well this is another point five update, which means it is mostly just things that have moved forward, but have not really made any progress.

Some major things that have moved forward.

First off, the Fuel Tank

Getting back into working on this, I started to spend more time again, researching what people have done, what to do, the tricks of the trade and so forth.

To my surprise, Clarke Manufacturing had recently (within the last few months) started to manufacture the worlds first, aftermarket fuel tank for the XT225. Over 17 years after the introduction of the XT225, and 2 years after its retirement from production, a company has finally decided to take notice at the world wide popularity of this little dual sport.

After taking the time researching through posts about the quality and feedback on advrider.com, thumpertalk.com, and my favorite XT225 resource, xt225.com, I made my decision I wanted to get this tank. It increases the fuel capacity from 2.3 gallons, to 4.1 gallons. This is a significant increase in capacity, and mileage. With its real-world known fuel sipping 70+ mpg freeway speed economy, this extends the overall range of the XT225 to nearly 300 miles.

So my decision had been made, it was going to get ordered.

With originally discussed earlier in this series, I had decided to do a Desert Theme on the bike. I had finally decided on a Satin Black Frame, with Desert Khaki plastics. The seat of the bike, would be done in a sage gray color, with the same gray used as vinyl stickers, and hard accessories.

The design looks great in my head, and I wish I had the skill that others have to be able to photoshop exactly what it is, but that is not something I am able to do. I will just have to trust my mind (which does scare me), and go with it.

Because Clarke Manufacturing is a MOD (Manufacture on Demand) company, I went to them about doing a custom color.

They offer the tank in your standard colors you see every day. Yamaha Blue, Black, White, Natural, Yellow and Orange. What I wanted though, was a desert khaki color.

I sent off an email and was happy to receive a quick reply within 30 minutes from Chris at Clarke Manufacturing, that it was absolutely possible to do it, and there was no added cost on a custom color.

Excellent!

So I hopped on over to Eastside Motosports in Bellevue to speak to them about ordering this tank. I like to give my business to Eastside. They have continued to treat me fair, and so I try and give them my business whenever I can. Like most shops, they are willing to work with you, and come to a fair deal.

Anyways, back to the ordering. Eastside was not a Clarke Dealer, however they were eager to become one. So Patrick took care of the dealership application, and my tank got ordered on Tuesday of this week, and was already looking forward to seeing my new tank in a week or two.

What surprised me came Thursday.

Thursday I get the call "Your tank is in!".

Talk about a huge surprise! A 3 day turn around for a custom made tank!

Although Clarke is located in Molalla Oregon, I still was not expecting such a fast turn around.

As far as the tank? It is perfect. Absolutely the color I wanted. Not to light, not to dark, a perfect Desert Khaki.

Here is a picture:

I am really impressed with the tank. Not only does it seem sturdy, they include all of the hardware and bolts to get it put on the bike, as well as relocation brackets for thinks like the horn. This tank really has increased my motivation to complete this project. The team at Clarke can't wait to see finished pictures.

To Be Continued in Next Post:

#54227 - 10/03/09 04:58 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Part 5.5: Continued

Thursday, also was a good day for another reason. I had just got off the phone with Production Plating in Mukilteo, setting up a time to drop off my frame and swing-arm later that day.

So after picking up my tank, I headed up north to drop off my frame and swing-arm. I picked out a 20% gloss, UV Stabilized Satin Black coating.

I was informed they shoot this color every other day, so the turn around should be very quick. Lets hope!

Yesterday (Friday) I finished up some other odds and ends purchases.

I woke up in the morning deciding, even though the bearings and bushings seemed fine when I pulled the swing-arm and wheels, I decided to order new sets.

After reading many positive experiences with replacing the non-sealed OEM bearings on the wheels with RBI premium Sealed Bearings, I decided to go that route. It is also much cheaper.

OEM Non-Sealed Cost: 18.95 per bearing
RBI Premium Sealed Cost on Ebay: 4.45 per bearing, free shipping.

So, although the wheel hubs take a total of 5 between the front and the back, I went ahead and ordered 10, just to have the spares.

I also purchased a Swing-arm bearing and bushing kit from another Ebay Store. The cost was much lower than anywhere else I could find, and the store had great feedback. This item also had free shipping!

Next up on the list, I called up ProCycle out of Springfield, Or.

They had 2 items for my Carburetor that I really need for it.

First item, is a carb side choke.

The XT225 has a dash mounted chock pull, that has a cable that goes down to the carb.

To me, this is really an unneeded cable, and just one extra thing that causes problems. Especially on my bike, being so old, the actual pull stop is worn down, so you need to hold the choke open by hand. This will clean up the dash, and make my life easier.

The other item I ordered from them, was a Jet Kit, that has all of the popular main and pilot jet sizes for the XT.

My next stop, was actually back at Eastside Motosports to order a UNI Air Filter for it.

Last night, while still reading posts on different forums, I remembered I had forgot to order 1 other item.

The XT225, the year I got mine, had Yellow Shock Boots. These are extremely old now, and just ugly. Yellow wouldn't go with the bike anyways.

So again, I hopped on to my favorite resources, checked to see what people are buying. Come to find out, everyone gets theirs from Ebay from a certain online store.

OEM Cost = 78 bucks... A PIECE. What a absolutely ripoff.

Cost on Ebay Store for Aftermarket... 12 dollars a pair!

So I ordered up a set of black. I was going to order 2 sets, and realized that if I really needed another set down the road, I could order it any time. I'll probably end up ordering a spare set before that time though. Who knows!

Now that I had time to sit down, go over what I needed to order, make sure I had everything, I now had time to start visualizing the project again.

This project, will come with its share of fabrication.

Because I am replacing the front headlight assembly, I loose the framework for the dash and signals as well.

After some thought, and running some ideas in my head, I decided on a couple things.

First off, I decided to ditch the stock Dash, and instead, I'm going to get myself a TrailTech Vapor digital dash. My main reason is not that it is an updated piece of technology, but I really like the thought of having Oil Temp. This will end up being my next purchase.

After deciding what I was doing with that, I then moved on to designing the front brackets to hold the new headlight assembly, blinkers and dash.

After some quick sketches, I came to the conclusion that I really was going to need to get myself a Rotary Table to make things easier on the Milling Machine.

So, off to Harbor Freights Website I went, looked up their largest Rotary Table (8") and clicked "Purchase".

I'm having that shipped directly down to Oregon, since that is where the Milling Machine is anyway.

Back to design of the brackets, I came up with a couple simple designs for the front. After some thought last night when I went to bed, laying there looking at the dark ceiling, I decide that I am going to make some revisions to my design.

Originally I had designed it to be solid for the blinker mounts. I am using the Modern Generic Yamaha Front and Rear Blinkers, and I figured maybe I should build folding mounts. That way they can be brought in, when on the trail. So I've started to sketch out that design as well.

My next piece I started to design, was the rear rack.

I've come up with a design, that has removable support racks for saddle bags and an elevated rear rack, so that a flat 2 gallon spare fuel tank can be placed under it.

I still need to put some thought into this. Right now, 2 gallons may be to much, maybe if I do a 1 gallon container. We'll see.

The last thing I thought about, and how to proceed with fabricating, is a new skid plate and engine guards. This is something I will have to spend a lot of time just getting creative with, as the design of the XT is unique, as in the skid plate is actually what connects the upper frame, to the lower back frame. There is no lower hoop frame support on the XT like what is found commonly on other off-road bikes.

Other than that, that is my "minor" updates.

Hopefully I'll get this sketches put into digital, and then can share them.

Until Next Time!

#54234 - 10/03/09 05:12 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!

Hi Mic,

can't wait to see any images of the project, should look stunning.

#54317 - 10/05/09 09:46 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Reggie]
Wolf Offline
Platinum Member

Hot Damn! That 4.1 gallon tank looks great!

Would love to get one for my bike eventually but it looks like the cap does not lock. Around here, that'd be asking for trouble.

Keep it up, Mic, looking forward to seeing more pics and hearing about your progress.

#54323 - 10/05/09 11:12 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Wolf]
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!

Hi Wolfie,

love your new signature!

#54326 - 10/06/09 12:11 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Reggie]
Wolf Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Reggie
Hi Wolfie,

love your new signature!

Wondered how long it'd take til you noticed - I changed it as of the second Cold Kiwi '09 report. One day I'll have to write up the third day's ride.

#54339 - 10/06/09 05:00 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Wolf]
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!

Hi Wolfie,

looking forward to episode three.

#54350 - 10/06/09 03:54 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Moto Psycho Offline
Platinum Member

Mic...

I love the looks of that tank. I can't wait to see the bike in it's completed form. Your color scheme and items that you will be milling sound great. Hurry up and "git-r-done" so we can see some pics....cool

#54418 - 10/08/09 03:22 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Matches]
Core2Quad Offline
Member L1

Loc: Redding, CA
It's a shame none of the pictures on page 1 are working.......

#54427 - 10/08/09 01:12 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Core2Quad]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Originally Posted By: Core2Quad
It's a shame none of the pictures on page 1 are working.......

I'll work on updating the broken links this weekend. I'm working on my own blog site to move everything over to and consolidate everything on 1 server.

Unfortunately, I cannot edit my older posts on this site though.

Edit: Ok, I decided to update some things.

This page is still not available publicly (From the main site) so you need to access it from this link http://mic.phrozen-phaze.com/?page_id=8

All of the projects have now been updated with the images fixed!

#54435 - 10/08/09 08:25 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Wolf Offline
Platinum Member

Wicked cool, Mic. Great site and good to recap the work so far.

I am seriously looking forward to seeing the finished product. I hope you are finding that working on this is as satisfying and rewarding as my rebuild project felt for me. There's nothing quite as satisfying.

#54539 - 10/11/09 06:04 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Wolf]
Mic Offline
Member L1

#54547 - 10/11/09 04:32 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!

Hi Mic,

she's looking good.

#54555 - 10/11/09 08:14 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Reggie]
Wolf Offline
Platinum Member

I second that.

When I did the work on my bike, sandblasting and welding were things I left to other people - I do not possess the gear and I've never learned how - so your project is a lot more hands-on. I sit in awe of what you've done, it looks superb.

That bike is going to look fantastic when it's finished.

#54593 - 10/12/09 02:09 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Wolf]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Ok, I finalized the article, part 6 is now live! You can get to it from the same link above.

A lot more wording, and a new picture or 2 from the rough draft.

It reads much more personal and gives much more direction now, than my scribble of thoughts that the rough draft was.

#54631 - 10/13/09 08:28 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Matches Offline
Platinum Member

Mic she looks like she's coming right along, well done! Keep up the good work!

#54768 - 10/15/09 08:52 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Matches]
Moto Psycho Offline
Platinum Member

I'm liking what I'm seeing. Keep the updates coming....cool

#54912 - 10/19/09 02:33 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Moto Psycho]
Mic Offline
Member L1

#54915 - 10/19/09 03:07 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Lookin' good Mic. If by the time I get to it someone hasn't already provided a measurement for the length of the stub you asked about I will. Sounds like your project is finally taking the sort of shape that makes it all worthwhile. And I agree with your solution on the troublesome bearing race. Those who've grown up making things work instead of throwing them away will appreciate your approach!

#54919 - 10/19/09 04:57 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Az4x4]
Magoo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Wenatchee, WA.
I work on a wide variety of cars and trucks and find that taking digital photos of certain jobs helps me to remember how to reassemble things. And don't forget to load the photos into your computer just in case you inadvertently erase them from your camera! Great idea, using the blind-hole bearing remover on the wheel bearings!

#54925 - 10/19/09 06:59 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Chartman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Canada

Length of exposed nub is 23mm.. This was measured using a vernier measuring
depth from "top of the head to start of the plate" (does not inc plate thickness)

P.S. I also have an older xt225 frame that I bought off Ebay.. Nub on this frame
is welded on.. IMHO just tapping the plate and using a bolt only won't be strong
enough to support the spring tension and torque and twisting from spring plate

#54927 - 10/19/09 07:07 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Chartman]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Originally Posted By: Chartman

Length of exposed nub is 23mm.. This was measured using a vernier measuring
depth from "top of the head to start of the plate" (does not inc plate thickness)

P.S. I also have an older xt225 frame that I bought off Ebay.. Nub on this frame
is welded on.. IMHO just tapping the plate and using a bolt only won't be strong
enough to support the spring tension and torque and twisting from spring plate

I actually thought about the whole tension issue. I believe, if I thread it, screw it past the back plate, and put a nut with torque on the nut, that way it creates preloaded tension on the bolt, that should be more than enough to hold it in place, and not cause an issue.

I'm going to think it through though.

#54929 - 10/19/09 07:58 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Chartman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Canada

What is unique is your frame is different than my 1999 XT225.. Which happens to
be yet different again than my 1994 XT225 frame..

As I mention on the 1994 XT225 frame the nub is welded on.. On the 1999 XT225
the kickstand plate & the kickstand sensor plate is one piece.. But on your XT225
the kickstand plate is one piece and the kickstand sensor plate is another piece..

When I looked at your pic above.. I was going to recommend that instead of just
tapping the plate and using just a bolt.. My idea would be after tapping the hole..
Use a longer bolt with a nut and two oversize fender washers to help prevent the
thread from being ripped out of the plate..

After typing my idea and before posting.. I went and re-looked at my 1999 XT225
and came to the conclusion that the nut idea would not work on my 1999 XT225..
Because where nut should sit is not flat and the nut would also hit the chain..

This idea may work with your XT225 because your kickstand plate is much thinner
than the one on my 1999 XT225.. Good luck finding a fix.. Cheers.. smile

#55070 - 10/23/09 03:15 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Chartman]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Well, I'm down in Oregon again for the weekend. So I'll get some more work on it this weekend.

Hopefully I'll get the steering stem on, this depends on if I get the new oven working and able to powder coat.

Anyways. I've been having all my stuff shipped down here, so here's a teaser pic of some of the stuff that came in over the last week.

Pirelli Scorpion A/T tires (Front and back)
4mm heavy duty tubes
rim strips
large spoon
2 small spoons
Trailtech Dash Kit (I have a vapor stealth on order as well)
Windshield
Rectangle Mirrors
Shorty black levers
2lbs of Light Gray Powder

And...

My recovered in light gray vinyl seat.

Oh Yah!

Hopefully I can get the stem in this weekend, and get it standing on its own. Then if I have time, I'll start getting all of the crap attached to the inside of the frame.

Who knows, long ways off, but maybe a running bike soon?

#55141 - 10/25/09 05:38 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Another teaser pic

#55144 - 10/25/09 09:46 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
dbarale Offline

Loc: Asheville, NC
It looks like a bike again, almost there!
Thanks for the pic BTW, I was thinking about painting my frame and swigarm black and I was wondering what it would look like with a light color paint job. Now I know, black it is...

#55181 - 10/26/09 01:58 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: dbarale]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Part 8 is up!

Part 8: Published 10-26-09

Finally seeing the bike take shape, and getting caught up, we see what stood as a skeleton of bare metal, start to take form of a motorcycle, but not without a hiccup here and there.

"Boy! What a weekend!

I was originally going to name this issue of MOF “The exploady burny” issue, but decided against that… And more on that later. Right now, lets jump right into things!"

Continue Reading at Life's a Breeze: The Adventures and Projects of Mic

#55295 - 10/30/09 06:17 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Moto Psycho Offline
Platinum Member

That is looking S A W E E T Mic. Keep it up and keep us posted....cool

#55301 - 10/30/09 07:36 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!

Hi Mic,

looks like you got plenty done over the weekend and, before you know it, another weekend's already here!

#55364 - 11/02/09 04:47 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Reggie]
Mic Offline
Member L1

well back from another weekend. I didn't do a whole lot this weekend, so the update I write up on my site will be very short, and only a couple pictures if not even just 1.

So until I get it written up, I'll just kinda point out some of the major things.

I got that rear wheel trued. I ended up buying a static balancing stand and a nice dial indicator set, and went at it.

I got the shoes on the wheels. I learned that Ultra Heavy Duty Tubes are a pain in the ass, and will stick to just standard heavy duty from here on out.

I got the Carb in the bike

I got the wire harness (Unfinished) ran throughout the bike to kinda place things.

I didn't start it up. I actually could have though, considering I had all of the pieces in place. I just don't want to until I have more of it done.

Other than that, I'm at the point where I need to finish up the wire harness and plan the new relays/fuse box I'm going to use for it. I also need to wait for my Trailtech Vapor to come in so I can not only get the wiring setup for it, but as well as design the new Headlight/Dash mounts.

The major work left is Fabrication, and painting.

I decided to say goodbye to the handlebars I bought. They are 1 1/8 fat bars, and I just don't feel like making special mounts for my handguards and the windscreen. So I'm saying screw it and going with standard 7/8 bars.

So I'll just throw the bars with the adapters up on our local forum I belong to in this area for like 40 to 50 bucks. Hell the adapter/risers are I think 60 bucks MSRP. So yah, decent deal with the bars and risers I think. Someone will want them for a project, I'm sure.

So now I've been looking at what bars I want to go with, I can go with some high bars, some flat bars, I don't know wth I want right now. I do like the overall "look" and feel of the fatbars I bought, which is why I bought them in the first place.

I sat and looked at the bike where that Nub goes. After much thinking, I'm going to build a Center Stand for it. So It will be a kickstand less XT when It's all done. I just don't want to hassle with that nub right now. When it gets a little more paint chipped off in places, then I'll punch a new one in and wield it in the back maybe.

So I started to get mental images for how I was going to do the Center Stand. Have an idea that I penciled out. Uses the stock stiff spring that the kickstand uses. I think I have a design that utilizes the proper fulcrum and pivot point for it to work properly, without really reducing a whole lot of ground clearance. I have a feeling it will be a long trial and error process.

Already penciled out the new headlight mount/dash. Penciled out the Indicator mounts. I am utilizing the new Yamaha style indicators. They can be completely changed out in less than 30 seconds. So they are quick and easy. And with them being used on Sport Bikes, you see them for sale in local classifieds/forums/ebay all the time for dirt cheap. I had 2 sets of my own, so that's why I got the idea of using them.

penciled out the design for the rear rack.

So this weekend was spent mainly taking measurements, laying down on the floor staring at everything, and letting the gears in my head turn freely to see what they come up with.

Well it looks like I wrote a bit more than I was planning on. Hell, maybe I'll just cut and paste this into my damned blog and call it Part 9.

But then, I'd have to make sure I left you with...

Until Next Time!
wink

#55366 - 11/02/09 05:55 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!

Mornin' Mic,

sounds like you did a bit more than you thought!

Keep up the good work.

#55368 - 11/02/09 01:43 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Reggie]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Part 9 Posted!

Decisions Decisions Decisions. It has all come down to Decisions. The bike is up on its own wheels, carb is in place, exhaust is in place, and the wire harness is somewhat in place. All the pieces needed to start her up, and I just let it set. More time spent thinking, planning, measuring than actual work took place in this update, so it is short, simple, full of babble and a couple pictures to compliment it.

"Any man who believes he controls the machine is in a state of denial that can only be accompanied by his obsession of power over things he can not yet understand. The heart of the machine has the power to take control of our mortal self, with our adrenaline infused hearts pumping in complete rhythm to the stroke of the motor, our minds linked at the wheel sensing every inch of the ground below us, and our souls melded into a single entity that cries into the open night sky, begging for it to never end. Any man, who believes he controls the motorcycle, tossing aside all respect for the mechanical being in which sits before him, will most likely die for his mistake."

Read More at: Life's A Breeze - The Adventures and Projects of Mic

#55370 - 11/02/09 02:31 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Slow but sure, she's coming along Mic! Looks like you'll have a winner on your hands, a bike you can hang onto with a lot of pride for a long time to come once you're done. Great project, and lots of fun to follow along with you on..

#55375 - 11/02/09 05:17 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Az4x4]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Oh, something I forgot to add into the update (I guess I should eventually) this is the last update for awhile. It costs me roughly 150 bucks a weekend to drive down to the shop and back (Fuel/Food costs), and my roommate is moving out at the end of this month, so I need to pinch pennies once more.

I will be down for about 2 weeks at the end of December, which is probably when I will spend time fabricating.

#55381 - 11/02/09 08:18 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Moto Psycho Offline
Platinum Member

Damn Mic! I can't wait 'til she's all finished....cool

#55382 - 11/02/09 08:22 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!

Hi Mic,

well all be expecting to read your updates over Christmas then.

Good luck.

#56568 - 12/15/09 05:47 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Reggie]
Mic Offline
Member L1

figure I'd drop in and give an update. I'm leaving for Oregon in a couple days for the rest of the year. This will be the final push to finish this project. My TrailTech Stealth finally came in, my Kickstart kit is here, and so it's now time to finish up the rest of the fabrication.

She's Licensed and Insured now as well, so as soon as I can, she'll be out and about.

#56569 - 12/15/09 05:49 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!

Hi Mic,

looking forward to regular updates over the coming weeks then.

Good luck, it's been a great project.

#56579 - 12/15/09 02:04 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Sounds like you should be on the home stretch this go round Mic. Hope everything comes together as intended, and that you have time to share this final chapter in the rebuild with the rest of us!

#56591 - 12/17/09 04:04 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Az4x4]
Core2Quad Offline
Member L1

Loc: Redding, CA
Great work!! We need more pictures though!!! smile

#56798 - 12/24/09 02:20 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Core2Quad]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Here's a quick update!

2 Videos for the update in fact...

First Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHNJ-0sNFww

Second Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucwCpLpogVw

Heading back down to work on it again... Wiring has become a pain in the ass... And I have a huge mess to clean up in the shop.

I'll update my blog either tonight or tomorrow with more info.

#56803 - 12/24/09 06:21 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Went back down to the shop to work on the bike a little more after dinner. Took another video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2a-hyNMnEc

#56804 - 12/24/09 08:02 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Colin Reed Offline
Member L2

Loc: Co. Durham, England
Excellent. Keep up the good work Mic. I must try doing some videos for my website in the future.

Colin

#56805 - 12/24/09 08:34 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!

Hi Mic,

well done that man and it's great to see how the work continues to evolve. Won't be long before she's fully on the road at this rate!

#56856 - 12/28/09 12:10 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Reggie]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Words cannot describe the feeling of having this project come to an end.

All the street legal bits got put on this morning, and with that, I set out on a nice little 80 mile inaugural ride around Hood River, Oregon and the Columbia River Gorge.

Here is a Youtube of a few of the stops I made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTPEzYc-LlI

I still have some things to do. I need to replace the rear brakes, replace some bolts, paint up the plastics and then build a rear rack.

#56858 - 12/28/09 12:16 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!

Hi Mic,

rule number one, when making a shake down ride, always take some tools with you!

Great to see you and your bike's back on the road.

#56876 - 12/28/09 04:14 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Way to go Mic! The rebuild looks to have been a complete success, so more power to you and many happy miles to come on your reborn XT!!

#56885 - 12/28/09 05:52 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Reggie]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Hi Mic,

rule number one, when making a shake down ride, always take some tools with you!

I have tools in my backpack. I forgot to grab my Backpack. LOL

#56886 - 12/28/09 05:56 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!

Originally Posted By: Mic
Hi Mic,

I have tools in my backpack. I forgot to grab my Backpack. LOL

Hi Mic,

you're as bad as me!

#56888 - 12/28/09 06:05 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Reggie]
Mic Offline
Member L1

I'm going to buy a water tight wielding rod canister to mount on the front of the bike below the headlight to carry tools/registration/spare tube/patch kit, etc.

#56889 - 12/28/09 06:21 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!

Originally Posted By: Mic
I'm going to buy a water tight wielding rod canister to mount on the front of the bike below the headlight to carry tools/registration/spare tube/patch kit, etc.

Hi Mic,

seems like a reasonable alternative to a Tool Tube.

Let us know how you get on, why you select the size that you end up with and what tools you carry.

#56890 - 12/28/09 06:21 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Magoo Offline
Silver Member

Loc: Wenatchee, WA.
Mic,
Come late Spring, you should ride up to Cloud Cap, park the bike, and hike up the mountain a ways. Very beautiful on the N. Side of Hood and you'll be hiking up a lateral moraine. When the trail spits you off the moraine, be careful because soon you'll be on the glacier (covered with dirt) but you'll think you're still hiking on a dirt trail. Crevasses are VERY unforgiving! I really miss Mt. Hood. . . . many great memories there, for me......

Oh....and use Loc-Tite on those threads. I've still had fasteners come loose (especially that damn shift lever), but fewer times with the Loc-Tite!

#56929 - 12/30/09 10:01 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Magoo]
Mic Offline
Member L1

For over the last year, I have spent time restoring an old XT225 of mine, that I have had since I was 12 growing up in Eastern Washington.

The bike, one of my favorite I owned, saw a rough life. It carried me through years and years of riding, with over 54,000 miles of off road on the odometer when it was finally stashed away at my parents place in Oregon.

Last year, I decided I wanted to get it going again, and I set out to rebuild this bike. What started out originally as just a restoration, turned into a complete transformation.

Today, I can finally say, for the most part, minus a couple items I still need to fab, the project is done, and I have posted my final journal entry for this project, but look forward to the next 54,000 miles of adventuring around the Northwest on it.

To say the least, the entire process was an emotional experience, not something I would have expected being just a bike, but I guess that is just it. It's more so a link to my past, than anything.

You can view the entire Journal, from the start, to the finish on my blog at the following address: http://mic.phrozen-phaze.com/projects/the-bikes/my-old-friend-the-rebirth-of-an-xt/

I hope you enjoy it. The last entry, is extremely long, with lots of pictures and video.

#56938 - 12/31/09 12:15 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Matches Offline
Platinum Member

GREAT write-up Mic, well done!!! That Cyclops was a bugger to mount on my bike, not having access to the level of equipment you have. Bravo on the Vapor install as well, I was terribly unsuccessful in wiring seperate flash indicators, and thus settled for the single bulb ala' simplicity....

Well done Mic, be proud!

Cheers!

#57024 - 01/02/10 08:48 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Matches]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Welp, took it out for a ride on New Years eve for about 100 miles, and yesterday for a ride around the Hood Canal for a total of another 170 miles, and she ran like a champ the whole time.

I'm not getting nearly the fuel mileage I was expecting (53 averaged), but then I just remembered I have it geared lower with a 14f/50r, so running higher RPM's, plus I have 130 Main and 42.5 on the pilot. Maybe I should move it back to stock in the front.

I'll be playing around with things to get what I feel is the best balance between speed and power.

#57025 - 01/02/10 09:05 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
GlennF Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Ohio
The stock 15/45 gearing gives you a 3:1 reduction. If you want to keep the 50T rear, a 16 CS would give you a 3.13:1 or close to stock. Your 14/50 is a 3.57:1 reduction. I run a 14/45 which is a 3.21:1 and a little busy but stronger off-road.

#57027 - 01/02/10 10:10 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Yea, Mic.. You get her re-geared a bit higher and for sure your gas mileage will improve - plus she won't be working so hard to stay at speed!

#57179 - 01/06/10 03:59 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Az4x4]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Welp, first 500 (well, 540) miles since she's been put back together is on her, and I think she's going to continue to give many many more miles in her future.

#57189 - 01/06/10 08:39 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

She's looking good Mic, in every way that really counts!

#57227 - 01/07/10 06:53 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Az4x4]
Matches Offline
Platinum Member

78.2 as the top-speed achived??? On the XT??? Good lord man, were you going down hill with a tail-wind or were you dropped from an airplane, LOL! I have the same gearing and jets with the FMF and I KNOW I'd have to be proppeled by a friggin JATO rocket to reach 78, nicley done!

#57249 - 01/08/10 05:19 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Matches]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Originally Posted By: Matches
78.2 as the top-speed achived??? On the XT??? Good lord man, were you going down hill with a tail-wind or were you dropped from an airplane, LOL! I have the same gearing and jets with the FMF and I KNOW I'd have to be proppeled by a friggin JATO rocket to reach 78, nicley done!

As a matter of fact, it was downhill with a tailwind laugh

Oh, and full tuck behind my windshield!

#57689 - 01/21/10 12:49 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Over 1k miles on it now, all's still well.

Changed the oil last night, did a clean and lube on the chain (really need to do that more often :p) and did an overall check of the bolts.

Ended up loosing 2 bolts that hold the rear of the fender to frame and tail light... So the tail light was kinda flopping. Guessing that was from Saturday's excursion.

Other than that, everything else looks well. I've gotta get a weekend to head back down to Oregon though and build my rack. I sure could use it! Plus I want to go camping.

#57690 - 01/21/10 01:17 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
LRJ Offline
Bronze Member

Loc: Aptos, CA
Bike's looking good. Enjoyed reading about your ride. I enjoy getting out and just exploring the "greater neighborhood", once in a while, too.

#58595 - 02/16/10 01:12 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Matches]
lukeyamahayz250 Offline
Member L1

Loc: Hudson, Quebec, Canada
Nice to read your story Mic. We are also doing a complete rebuild of my wife's XT 225, right down to sandblasting the frame and repainting! If I could attach pictures, I would show you.

Edited by lukeyamahayz250 (02/16/10 01:12 AM)

Luke

I fixed it and she did ride it!!!

#62496 - 04/23/10 01:59 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: lukeyamahayz250]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Been awhile since I've given an update, so here goes!

Everything's still working out. I'm almost at 4k miles on the bike since I finished it.

The more I ride it, the more little things creep up!

It developed a leak from the stator side gasket, that got replaced. Shortly after that, the seal to the shifter decided to start leaking. It is such a slow leak, I've left it alone, even though I do have a new seal, it is extremely slow, and it helps keep the chain lubed!

I made a huge mistake a short while back. I was riding all afternoon, tired, dirty, hungry.

I got back in, parked in the back patio, planned on coming in, making some lunch, sitting down and resting then going out later to wash the bike off.

Mind was kind of gooey, came in, pulled my gear off, did a double take, went outside, picked up the hose and shot the engine with a nice cold stream of water at the base of the cylinder. Dumb ass move.

It now has a "slight" leak from the base gasket. Will have to replace that one of these days. It was one of those, pull the trigger "Oh [censored]" moments, knew exactly what I did, mind just wasn't up to snuff.

Also a leak from exhaust side valve cover, have the o-ring for that (Very common issue), will replace that this weekend while checking valves.

Besides my little screw ups, things have been fine!

I've been using it mainly to explore the back roads around my parents place in Oregon once again. I spent a lot of time on the west end of the valley years ago, now I am exploring the east end and having fun finding ways around.

I was up there about a month ago, and kept on going until I was in about 2 feet of snow and 4100 feet above sea level. It was fun, but decided to turn around and head for lower altitude. Didn't want to brake something on my body by doing something stupid up there alone!

But yah, it's been really nice to be reintroduced to this bike. I forgot how much fun I had on it, and not sure why I ever let it sit for so many years neglected.

#62518 - 04/24/10 03:26 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
A74R1 Offline
Bronze Member

Loc: Wetside, Oregon
So Mic.. I'm out in Forest Grove and I have yet to get out to find some of the sweet spots around here... you mentioned in your post you knew some good rides out west. Do you have any suggestions?

#62521 - 04/24/10 05:11 AM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: Mic]
Reggie Offline
MR SEROW!

Mornin' Mic,

nice to find you and your bike are starting to gel again.

#62685 - 04/27/10 11:45 PM Re: The Rebirth of an XT - My Build Project [Re: A74R1]
Mic Offline
Member L1

Originally Posted By: A74R1
So Mic.. I'm out in Forest Grove and I have yet to get out to find some of the sweet spots around here... you mentioned in your post you knew some good rides out west. Do you have any suggestions?

Sorry, I'm not aware of anything in that area. I spend my time in the Gorge near Hood River, The Dalles, Goldendale and the like.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >

Search w/Yahoo
Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 10916
Moto Psycho 4684
alexd 4368
Muniac 3959
Az4x4 3451
kris 2361
Doc250 1639
JerryH 1508
150ron 1413