Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Shavings in oil filter #351 06/08/05 11:05 AM
M
mhobbs Offline OP
OP Offline
M
This is my first post on this forum. After a lot of research into dual sports. I decided on the XT 225. Primarily it will be a commuter to work (19 mile winding mountain road). So far, I like what I see. My plans are to open it up and lose the CA emissions.

Anyway, I changed the oil last night. The oil, oil strainer both looked good. When I pulled the oil filter out it was loaded with fine shavings. I understand a few shavings. But, I would call this excessive. Has anyone experienced this problem or know anyone who has? I will be taking this specimen to my local dealer today. The bike has been ridden easy and has 147 miles on it.

Re: Shavings in oil filter #352 06/08/05 12:31 PM
Greg Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
I had exactly the same experience...

Bought it used with 120 miles on it, did the first oil change at 125 miles, lots of metal particles, put in a new filter. Gonna keep changing the oil frequently until it stops. The factory recommends first change at 600 miles, hah! should be more like 60!

I took a magnet to the shavings and some of them were magnetic, so before I put the plug back in I stuck a small strong neodymium magnet onto the spring to catch any smaller iron metal dust. I expect there'll be less with each successive change. The factory must have a dirty machine shop! (haha)

The bike came from the dealer with coupon for a free first oil change. I bet that's because they don't want anyone to freak out when they see what's on the filter!

Hey, did you have any difficulty getting the oil plug out the first time? (My tool kit either came without a wrench for it, or was missing one.) Man, I practically had to destroy it with an impact wrench to get it loose.

Greg

'07SuzukiDRZ400SuperMoto
Re: Shavings in oil filter #354 06/09/05 01:30 AM
M
mhobbs Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you for all of your reply's. I feel this may not be a isolated problem. I didn't get to the dealer today. I will give it another shot tomorrow. Also, the metal I found was more like sand. Anyway, Thanks again.

Re: Shavings in oil filter #355 06/09/05 06:54 AM
Don Verbeck Offline
Hey All,

I'll second Monte's observation. I too had metal in the screen. I was a bit freaked.

But since it has dwindled to nothing in subsequent oil changes it just supports the fact that break-in is very important and shouldn't be ignored.

Brs,

Don V.

Former XT225 Owner. '06 Yamaha WR250F, Dual sported, but mostly ridden off-road.
Re: Shavings in oil filter #356 06/12/05 09:27 PM
M
mhobbs Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Took the metal embedded oil filter to the dealer and they showed some concern. Said any problems would be covered under warrenty and to keep an eye on it. I was given a new oil filter, 2 quarts of oil and all of the o-rings. The local service dept. has always been more than willing to go the extra mile for me as their customer.

I just changed the oil again at 250 miles. A small amount of shavings in the filter. But, nothing like the first time. I feel much better.

Re: Shavings in oil filter #358 06/27/05 06:48 PM
M
mack Offline
M
As far as I know a few shavings is normal for the first oil change, at least according to my dealer. He warned me about it when I got my bike. Looks like you're all set, though. Just thought I'd chime in on my first post.

Re: Shavings in oil filter #359 06/28/05 12:14 AM
Milano.B Offline
Member L1
Member L1
When I first purchased my 2004 XT, I was waiting until it reaches 200 miles for the first oil change.
Some car forums suggest Not to change oil so soon because a few manufacturers put Special “Break-In” from the factory (Oh Yeah?)
After all, a new BMW requires its first oil change only at 15K.

I have changed many car oil filters before but have never inspected the inside of an oil filter.
The XT come with an open oil filter screen. And to view it is not a pleasant surprise.
There are large flakes of soft material.
My apology for the quality of this pic.
It is very difficult to free hand a Super Macro pic.

At 200 miles the filter is really bad
As you can see there are a lot of cruds and a few metal shavings.

While looking inside the oil filter compartment, it seems the engine painter is 'very generous' with the black paint.
The paint overspray is everywhere as you can see from this pic (tiny black dots)
I hope the black crud is from the paint overspray.

The factory filter got cleaned and reinstalled
I did again another oil change at 300 miles.
Still some black residue but not as bad as the first oil change

At 400 miles, thing looks better but it still have some cruds.

At 500 miles there was some light sediment but nothing major to give you a heart attack.
I decided to dispose the original filter (can’t use it forever) and replace it with the Yamaha filter (pleated type).
The oil has been switched to Mobil 1 MX4T.
Oil will be replaced every 500 miles since we ride mostly dirt.

My lesson is, on the next bike I will change the oil a lot sooner.

[ June 27, 2005: Message edited by: Milano.B ]

Thread Lightly....

><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>`• .¸¸.•´¯`•.¸
.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•
Re: Shavings in oil filter #360 06/28/05 06:52 AM
Don Verbeck Offline
Hi Milano,

That filter did look really bad. After my third oil change I had no crud.

I would imagine most of those shavings come from the tranny end of the motor as you have more spinning, metal-to-metal parts.

I think you're doing the right thing with frequent oil changes to flush all of that stuff out. Best of luck.

Brs,

Don V.

Former XT225 Owner. '06 Yamaha WR250F, Dual sported, but mostly ridden off-road.
Re: Shavings in oil filter #361 07/17/05 09:18 PM
G
Griller Offline
G
Quote:
Hey, did you have any difficulty getting the oil plug out the first time?

Yes! I've got to get a new one, I rounded it so bad trying to get it off the first time.

A buddy of mine who is a much better mechanic resorted to using vice grips and his foot to freeing the bolt.

Re: Shavings in oil filter #362 07/22/05 02:54 PM
V
volare Offline
V
Quote:
Originally posted by mhobbs:
This is my first post on this forum. After a lot of research into dual sports. I decided on the XT 225. Primarily it will be a commuter to work (19 mile winding mountain road). So far, I like what I see. My plans are to open it up and lose the CA emissions.

Anyway, I changed the oil last night. The oil, oil strainer both looked good. When I pulled the oil filter out it was loaded with fine shavings. I understand a few shavings. But, I would call this excessive. Has anyone experienced this problem or know anyone who has? I will be taking this specimen to my local dealer today. The bike has been ridden easy and has 147 miles on it.

Re: Shavings in oil filter #363 07/22/05 02:56 PM
V
volare Offline
V
This information should be prominenetly displayed for new owners, of which I am one. I'm running out to buy a filter TODAY!

Re: Shavings in oil filter #364 07/22/05 03:30 PM
Montana Tracy Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Hi Volare, welcome to the site. Your "neer do well" in your profile seems to be nullified by your choice in the XT ... you did well!

You don't have commas in your personal profile interests listing so at first glance it appears like you fly bluegrass motorcycles (sounds like a supercross rider who plays the slide dobro while pickin' and a grinnin' the banjo doing a backwards flip on an XT).

Central Arizona seems like it would be a great place to ride.

Enjoy!

Best Regards, Tracy

Straddle the saddle and live the adventure.
'94 XT225 Yamamutt
'06 Suzuki DR-Z250
Re: Shavings in oil filter #365 07/27/05 07:26 PM
JoeXT225 Offline
Member L3
Member L3
After reading all of the posts on shavings in the oil filter I was prompted to go out and do an oil change and filter cleaning on mine. This was my first time removing the filter. Being a little unfamiliar with it, I accidentally punctured the fine mesh during removal and had to spring for a new one. There was some metal grit on the filter, but nothing excessive. It just looked like the filter was doing a good job at what it was supposed to do.
I've changed the oil 3 times since new. This is the first filter change ( 04 model with 2,126 miles). I imagine the only problem you'd have is if the shavings/grit built up thick enough to limit oil flow through the filter.
I've never had a problem removing the oil drain plug and have never seen anything of concern in the mesh basket at the drain plug. A good 19mm socket and a 1/2 inch drive ratchet have removed the plug with ease. I recommend not over tightening when reinstalling.

2004 XT225,Pro Moto Billet Aluminum Tail Rack W/ Chicane "Canyon" 19 l. bag, 16 LED aux. Brake Light, Kenda 761 tires, 12-volt power outlet, Fender Mounted Wolo "Loud One" Horn Upgrade, handle bar video camera /accessory mount, handle bar mounted watch, thermometer and compass. Garmin Nuvi GPS can be mounted in place of camera and powered using 12-volt outlet.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 32 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,621
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,074
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,163
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,114
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics