Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Personal Computing done Right!.. [Re: skoshorek] #154023 01/03/23 09:59 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by skoshorek
Hi Scott, Here's a blast from the past. I've been lurking on this forum since before our first get together in Moab back in 2006, but I haven't been actively participating in the forum. or in off-road riding, since my triple fracture in Moab, 2011. I'm sure you remember hauling me off the exit road in Arches NP to the hospital that afternoon. I miss our trips to Moab. Those were my six favorite vacations ever.

I'm coming out of hiding to let you know that I've been appreciating these discussions about Linux over the years.. I decided to get off the Microsoft train over 12 years ago, although I've always dual-booted Linux with whatever my latest version of Windows was at the time. Initially, I was taking old cast-off laptops from friends and relatives and giving them re-birth with Linux. I have used Mint almost exclusively, although I've taken a look now and then at other distros. I am not any sort of Linux expert; being mainly interested in finding a computer and distro that "works" for my modest daily needs. Any expertise I have I was forced to learn when Linux or my hardware decided not to do my bidding. Thankfully, I've always been able to find my answers out on the forums, and usually someone will even have the appropriate terminal commands for me to copy and paste. I've toyed with the idea of learning more about Linux command syntax, but it doesn't interest me enough to spend the time. That's why I use Mint, due to it being the "easiest" for beginners and it's always worked for me.

I've haven't had to do any Linux setups for about 7 years, other than distro upgrades on my Dell Studio which I bought new. It had Windows 7 on it, and it could not take Windows 10, so it still runs with W7 and Linux Mint 19. It's on Linux about 98% of the time. The keyboard has been acting up for the last year, and as a touch typist it has been grinding on me to have so many missed strokes or double/triple strokes in my typing. I finally decided to upgrade the hardware a few weeks ago.

One of my favorite Youtubers is Rob Braxman, who deals mainly with privacy issues. He recently did a show about used laptops he recommends for Linux. I bought one of his recommendations on Ebay; a 7th generation Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon with 8th gen I7 Intel processor. It came loaded with Windows 10, and it is now running with Windows 11 and Linux Mint 21.1 Vera. The install went very well, even getting the fingerprint reader to work in both Windows and Linux. Unfortunately, the logon procedure for Linux does not work perfectly with the fingerprint reader, and without going into details about my stupid mistakes and stubborn refusal to give up, it caused me to do the Win and Linux installs several times; including several calls to Microsoft Help. That sucked! I finally decided to stay with only a password for my Linux login. BTW, I was pleasantly surprised at how helpful Microsoft's people were (no charge!), even after I told them I was dual-booting with Linux on an old Thinkpad. It is really great being able to touch-type without errors again. So far I'm happy with the old Thinkpad and with Mint 21.1 Vera.

I still own two XT225s, a stock 2001 model, and the 2004 model I rode for all of our western trips. The 2004 is still set up for off-road, with a steering damper, kick start kit, lower gearing, sealed wheel bearings, etc, but I spend most of my time on the stock XT225 around the city. I also continue to ride my cruiser for any longer rides. I recently moved permanently from Michigan to Florida, and I've been thinking about getting back into dual-sport riding down here. I'm still healthier than most 72 year olds, although with more aches and pains than I'd prefer. Right now I'm still busy moving into the new place and will not have much time to go dual-sporting till next spring. I get a kick out of viewing the movies of our trips out west once in awhile. I looked a lot younger then. Anyway, I wish you and Jeannie a great New Year, and I'll go back to lurking mode for now.

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Personal Computing done Right!.. [Re: skoshorek] #154024 01/03/23 11:05 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

..Hi Scott, Here's a blast from the past. I've been lurking on this forum since before our first get together in Moab back in 2006, but I haven't been actively participating in the forum. or in off-road riding, since my triple fracture in Moab, 2011. I'm sure you remember hauling me off the exit road in Arches NP to the hospital that afternoon. I miss our trips to Moab. Those were my six favorite vacations ever.

I'm coming out of hiding to let you know that I've been appreciating these discussions about Linux over the years.. I decided to get off the Microsoft train over 12 years ago, although I've always dual-booted Linux with whatever my latest version of Windows was at the time. Initially, I was taking old cast-off laptops from friends and relatives and giving them re-birth with Linux. I have used Mint almost exclusively, although I've taken a look now and then at other distros. I am not any sort of Linux expert; being mainly interested in finding a computer and distro that "works" for my modest daily needs. Any expertise I have I was forced to learn when Linux or my hardware decided not to do my bidding. Thankfully, I've always been able to find my answers out on the forums, and usually someone will even have the appropriate terminal commands for me to copy and paste. I've toyed with the idea of learning more about Linux command syntax, but it doesn't interest me enough to spend the time. That's why I use Mint, due to it being the "easiest" for beginners and it's always worked for me...

Steve, it's great to have you check back in, and fascinating to read of your long time affinity for Linux Mint. As I mentioned to Scott, we've had a number of Linux users posting here over the years, discussing not only their love for these old school Yamaha XTs we've owned and ridden, but also their use of Linux on their computers, with Mint a well attested favorite.

..I've haven't had to do any Linux setups for about 7 years, other than distro upgrades on my Dell Studio which I bought new. It had Windows 7 on it, and it could not take Windows 10, so it still runs with W7 and Linux Mint 19. It's on Linux about 98% of the time. The keyboard has been acting up for the last year, and as a touch typist it has been grinding on me to have so many missed strokes or double/triple strokes in my typing. I finally decided to upgrade the hardware a few weeks ago.

One of my favorite Youtubers is Rob Braxman, who deals mainly with privacy issues. He recently did a show about used laptops he recommends for Linux. I bought one of his recommendations on Ebay; a 7th generation Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon with 8th gen I7 Intel processor. It came loaded with Windows 10, and it is now running with Windows 11 and Linux Mint 21.1 Vera. The install went very well, even getting the fingerprint reader to work in both Windows and Linux. Unfortunately, the logon procedure for Linux does not work perfectly with the fingerprint reader, and without going into details about my stupid mistakes and stubborn refusal to give up, it caused me to do the Win and Linux installs several times; including several calls to Microsoft Help. That sucked! I finally decided to stay with only a password for my Linux login..

A couple of my Dell laptops have fingerprint readers, but having never used one in the past I had no interest in getting them working on either machine. Like you, I simply installed Mint 21.1 with a password and went from there.

..BTW, I was pleasantly surprised at how helpful Microsoft's people were (no charge!), even after I told them I was dual-booting with Linux on an old Thinkpad. It is really great being able to touch-type without errors again. So far I'm happy with the old Thinkpad and with Mint 21.1 Vera..

Your X1 Carbon Thinkpad is a favorite with Linux users. If I ever come across one at a bargain price I'd love to set it up myself! ..My oldest son, Brent, uses Thinkpads exclusively for his work, running nothing but the latest version of Mint.

Years ago, shortly after retiring from full time graphic designing and having time to do things I'd always wanted to do, Brent gave me a pair of installation disks for what was at that time the original release of Ubuntu Linux with the Gnome 3.x desktop (the predecessor from which today's 'Mate' desktop was forked).

I had tried and largely failed to install earlier versions of Linux on a spare machine prior to this, finding the whole procedure much too 'cryptic' for me at that time. However the 2005 edition of Ubuntu that Brent gave me got me 'over the hump' and into an ongoing relationship with desktop Linux. A year later, after installing and being extremely impressed with the first ever edition of Linux Mint, truth be told I've never really 'looked back'.

..I still own two XT225s, a stock 2001 model, and the 2004 model I rode for all of our western trips. The 2004 is still set up for off-road, with a steering damper, kick start kit, lower gearing, sealed wheel bearings, etc, but I spend most of my time on the stock XT225 around the city..

I sold the last of my XT225s late this past summer. Spent the week before it sold exploring every nook and cranny of this remote mountain top area where we live. Still healthy and strong at 83 years of age, and with my wife encouraging me to 'quit while I'm ahead' the '02 XT went with a new owner to New Mexico, and that was that for my many years of two wheel adventuring. Certainly not in poor company with that decision, given that Scott and Jeannie among others have likewise hung up their riding boots..

..I'm still healthier than most 72 year olds, although with more aches and pains than I'd prefer. Right now I'm still busy moving into the new place and will not have much time to go dual-sporting till next spring. I get a kick out of viewing the movies of our trips out west once in awhile. I looked a lot younger then. Anyway, I wish you and Jeannie a great New Year, and I'll go back to lurking mode for now..

Lurking mode is OK, ..and we all "looked a lot younger then" - but don't disappear entirely, Steve - it's both interesting and informative hearing from you!

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 23 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,623
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,074
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,168
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,114
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics