Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: should I stash some parts? [Re: Jerry XT] #153464 07/09/22 09:10 PM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
Many of those parts are available from non Yamaha sources. You can get O rings for the valve covers that work even better than oem Yamaha. Spark plugs, air filters, fuses, grease/oil, tires, tubes, batteries, and most hardware should be available from many different sources. You can make a seal for the airbox cover. I use UNI filters. I do recommend getting a new petcock while they are still available, and some parts to rebuild a petcock. Ethanol gas is hard on petcocks. I would also recommend getting some replaceable carburetor parts, specifically the float bowl gasket and drain screw, and the float needle and seat. Also get the coasting enricher cover and diaphragm. Maybe even a couple. Yamaha does not sell them and never did, but they are available on eBay. I would also include shift shaft and countershaft oil seals, fork seals, and if they weren't so expensive, all the bushings and seals in the rear suspension linkage. A new CDI is also a good idea unless they are available from the aftermarket. I was able to get aftermarket brake pads and shoes, but I would probably get a new front brake hose, and parts to rebuild the front master cylinder and caliper. Maybe a new speedometer cable. All the other cables are available from Motion Pro. Clutch plates are available from the aftermarket. I don't know whether aftermarket stators are available or not. They can usually be rewound. OEM stators are super expensive, as are oem starters. Then there are the starter drive parts. Those tend to fail. I have had to replace starter drive parts twice on mine. The original parts were failing at 1800 miles. Handlebar switches will also eventually fail, but those are too expensive for me to buy as spare parts. I would rig something. The XT225 is a simple bike, and lends itself well to improvised repairs and modifications.

The above is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
1994/2001 custom built XT225 with a ton of aftermarket parts.

Re: should I stash some parts? [Re: JerryH] #153466 07/09/22 10:06 PM
J
Jerry XT Offline OP
Member L1
OP Offline
Member L1
J
Originally Posted by JerryH
Many of those parts are available from non Yamaha sources. You can get O rings for the valve covers that work even better than oem Yamaha.

Great info Jerry, thanks!
do you have a link or more specifics on the improved valve cover o rings?

JJ 2007 XT225
Re: should I stash some parts? [Re: Jerry XT] #153467 07/09/22 10:45 PM
J
Jerry XT Offline OP
Member L1
OP Offline
Member L1
J
Originally Posted by Jerry XT
Many of those parts are available from non Yamaha sources. You can get O rings for the valve covers that work even better than oem Yamaha.

Great info Jerry, thanks!
do you have a link or more specifics on the improved valve cover o rings?

I think I found these on the xt225.com store
email sent to Muniac

JJ 2007 XT225
Re: should I stash some parts? [Re: Jerry XT] #153469 07/10/22 02:56 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The dope on the valve cover O-rings was constant leaking on the exhaust valve side. The female 6mmx1 threads in the cylinder head are delicate. Well after awhile one of the three holes lost its threads. I had to do a helicoil thread repair which in this case was a PITA. Had to let the engine down so I could get a straight shot to drill the hole for the helicoil tap. I made a guide from an aluminum block so the hole was drilled square with the machined surface. Then you need to be careful with depth. Tapped the hole and wound in the helicoil which was SS. So the repair is actually stronger than the original threads. I did the R&D on the silicone rings and put together the kit for others to avoid this problem. Oil leaks on that side make a mess too. As I recall the OEM O-rings went for about $7.50/ea. That's going back now 18 years. The silicone holds up much better in the heat.

As for the 3 screws, the other two would have been easier to repair. Murphy was a genius. Do be careful with those screws and their threads.

Jerry - I did get your email and responded.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: should I stash some parts? [Re: Jerry XT] #153473 07/10/22 08:10 PM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
I knew I had seen this information recently, but after a couple of searches, I couldn't locate it. It was right under my nose, on the right side of the page below the footpeg ad. Yes do be very careful with all the small threads on the bike, they are fragile. Don't use a torque wrench, but barely snug them up. Both the valve cover bolts and oil filter cover bolts aren't really holding much of anything, and compression of the O rings should keep them from coming loose. I have yet to use a torque wrench on the XT. The only thing I would use one for is internal engine fasteners. If the head didn't get so hot, you could install hardened studs in the holes where the valve cover bolts go, and put red Loctite on them. Then just put nuts on the studs. But the head gets hot enough to melt even red loctite.

The above is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
1994/2001 custom built XT225 with a ton of aftermarket parts.

Re: should I stash some parts? [Re: JerryH] #153476 07/10/22 10:37 PM
J
Jerry XT Offline OP
Member L1
OP Offline
Member L1
J
I knew I had seen this information recently, but after a couple of searches, I couldn't locate it. It was right under my nose, on the right side of the page below the footpeg ad. Yes do be very careful with all the small threads on the bike, they are fragile. Don't use a torque wrench, but barely snug them up. Both the valve cover bolts and oil filter cover bolts aren't really holding much of anything, and compression of the O rings should keep them from coming loose. I have yet to use a torque wrench on the XT. The only thing I would use one for is internal engine fasteners. If the head didn't get so hot, you could install hardened studs in the holes where the valve cover bolts go, and put red Loctite on them. Then just put nuts on the studs. But the head gets hot enough to melt even red loctite.

Interesting note on the torque wrench. I have always used a small torque wrench on the oil filter cover, I’m going to switch to hand tight!

JJ 2007 XT225
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 16 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,615
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,064
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,153
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,112
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics