Print Thread
Rate Thread
2009 XT250 Carburettor #153300 05/24/22 05:36 PM
B
Beej Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi everyone,
My 2009 XT250 is at the mechanics getting it's first major service & there's a problem with the carburettor.
It is needing a rebuild kit but also when the mechanic opened it upthe pin that the float is on was seized. In freeing the pin the arm that holds it in place broke off. Mechanic has suggested that I find a new carb but I've no idea where! From what he has found out from Yamaha is that the part number is - 3C5 141 301 but they have said they can't order it as it's American.
Anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks in advance, Beej

Beej
Zig-Zagging Around on a wee XT250 called Suzie
Re: 2009 XT250 Carburettor [Re: Beej] #153349 06/06/22 01:29 PM
M
MikeUK Offline
M
I recently stripped and rebuilt my 2006 XT250X carb. My float pin was also very tight and I gave up rather than force it - looks like that might have been a wise decision. I put the complete float chamber + float, etc. in an ultrasonic cleaner and all seems to be fine.

I'd probably try repairing the carb - that part is under minimal stress in normal use. I'd have a go with JB Weld.

Alternatively, a quick search found a used carb on Ebay - there's probably others around.

And consider finding a less heavy-handed mechanic . . .

and a 2013 Triumph Street Triple
Re: 2009 XT250 Carburettor [Re: Beej] #153355 06/06/22 03:08 PM
Muniac Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
If you use JB Weld the standard formula is stronger than JB Quick. The boss that holds the float pin is delicate. To remove it, you need to use a penetrating oil first on the pin. Back up the bosses on the inside and outside. Use an automatic punch for a quick shot on the pin to break it loose. That pin isn't pressed in but sits comfortably in the holes. It's too bad the boss was broken by abuse. I'd say a JB Weld repair should work very well. Get the metal clean and be careful to not apply too much epoxy to the mating surfaces. Doing so will throw the holes out of alignment. When that sets, create a small bead around the break for extra strength. Full cure time should be 24 hours at room temp.

It wouldn't hurt to use a small drill bit to chase the pin holes so the pin slides in freely. Do this by hand and don't enlarge the holes. You're just looking to burnish the IDs. Always park your bike with fuel turned off. Good luck.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: 2009 XT250 Carburettor [Re: Muniac] #153356 06/06/22 08:54 PM
Y
youngfred Offline
Y
Originally Posted by Muniac
If you use JB Weld the standard formula is stronger than JB Quick. The boss that holds the float pin is delicate. To remove it, you need to use a penetrating oil first on the pin. Back up the bosses on the inside and outside. Use an automatic punch for a quick shot on the pin to break it loose. That pin isn't pressed in but sits comfortably in the holes. It's too bad the boss was broken by abuse. I'd say a JB Weld repair should work very well. Get the metal clean and be careful to not apply too much epoxy to the mating surfaces. Doing so will throw the holes out of alignment. When that sets, create a small bead around the break for extra strength. Full cure time should be 24 hours at room temp.

It wouldn't hurt to use a small drill bit to chase the pin holes so the pin slides in freely. Do this by hand and don't enlarge the holes. You're just looking to burnish the IDs. Always park your bike with fuel turned off. Good luck.

Very good advice for the fix.

I would definitively do the above fix if the Carb
is still in good shape after the repair and cleaning it up.

I would relegate it to use as a 'spare', only.

Three things:

Hard off-road riding, out in the middle of nowhere
and the boss fails to stay in place - FUEL EVERYWHERE.

If the epoxied boss binds the float and keeps the float
from free-pivot then, possibly - FUEL EVERYWHERE.

and the third one:

WHO - winds up doing the repair ???

If you leave it up to that same 'mechanic',
well...WHO knows what will happen???

~

Keep looking for another OEM Carb to rebuild.
or Chinese to get you by.

The FSM for the XT225 says to remove the Pin in ONLY
one direction. I do not know if the 250 carb is the same.

Left TO Right is the correct way to remove the Pin.
From the Needle and Seat side.

I use a Small Hammer. SMALL.
and a Small Punch. SMALL

You do not need a lot of iron, to remove
the pin.

Light tapping till the pin starts to move.

As the pin starts to show on the right side,
I use a Needle-Nose Plier or small Dykes
to gently pry it out.

youngfred

Last edited by youngfred; 06/06/22 10:27 PM.

2000 - XT225
Re: 2009 XT250 Carburettor [Re: Beej] #153357 06/06/22 09:43 PM
Muniac Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
JB Weld is amazing stuff. We repaired a hole in the engine case with JB Quick out on the trails. Rock punched a hole in the case with loss of oil. How well the compound would last in gasoline to include hot and cold cycles isn't known. If the epoxy can't flex to accommodate differences in linear expansion, the bond may break. These are very hard things to assess. If the repair fails, you will have fuel leaking and not be able to ride the bike. In a pinch you could open/close the fuel petcock to manually fill the bowl. PITA but it might get you riding out. I'd consider this repair as short term until another carb can be located. Spilling of fuel means a potential fire hazard. You don't want to go there. Good luck and ride safely.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: 2009 XT250 Carburettor [Re: Beej] #153358 06/07/22 04:08 PM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
Doesn't sound like he was much of a mechanic. I would never have tried to force a pin out of the little projections that hold it in place. It is highly unlikely it is repairable, as there just isn't enough surface area to use any kind of adhesive. Also, both those little projections have to line up absolutely perfectly. The pin will not go through both of them if they are not perfectly lined up. They are the most fragile part of a carburetor. Most likely soaking it in solvent and a bit more patience would have gotten the pin out without damaging anything. A new carburetor is available, but it is not cheap. You can't buy just the body new. And I would be very careful buying a used one, as it could be damaged. A lot of used carburetors have been damaged by ethanol gas. Here is where you can get a completely new carburetor https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2009/xt250-xt250y/carburetor Properly treated a carburetor will last forever, but ham fisted mechanics and ethanol gas can ruin them. NEVER leave ethanol gas in a carburetor for very long. The float bowl has a drain plug. Use it.

The above is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
1994/2001 custom built XT225 with a ton of aftermarket parts.

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 12 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,422
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 4,971
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,019
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,115
Paul49 2,053
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics