Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Does Anyone Trailer Their Bike at Home? [Re: Muniac] #152932 03/05/22 12:58 PM
L
LarryJ Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by ptxyz
i agree that a trailer in a motel parking lot is not secure.

Originally Posted by Muniac
Back in the mid 60s, we'd go away for the weekend. Doors unlocked. Car in driveway with keys in it. Never worried about theft. Then a house was broken into which changed our security concerns.

I appreciate y'alls concerns. I think maybe you're envisioning a box trailer sitting in a parking lot or camp site all by itself. That was never the idea. The trailer would always be connected to the tow vehicle, and the tongue aways locked to the hitch. Sure someone could steal the trailer off of the vehicle while I'm on the trail, but I believe that is a rarity that I'll take my chances with. As dumb luck would have it, I walked out into my garage friday morning to realize that I'd left the roll-up door open all night. Something I hadn't done in a couple of years. The car was blocking much of the door, but anyone could have taken the bike, the hobie kayak, numerous tools, etc, but, as in the past, nothing was missing. I'll be looking for a garage door closer/timer today.

Enough talk about theft concerns. Let's see some trailers.

Larry
2007 - XT225
Re: Does Anyone Trailer Their Bike at Home? [Re: LarryJ] #152947 03/07/22 05:05 PM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
I have never trailered a bike. I live near Phoenix, AZ, where it gets HOT in the summer. Way too hot to ride. 120 degrees is not uncommon. Just 150 miles away, up in the mountains, it will be 85 degrees. I would love to have just an open single rail motorcycle trailer, so I could trailer the bike up there in my air conditioned car, unload it, ride around all day, then load it up and haul it back home. I could also pack a tent and camping stuff in the car, trailer the bike up there, set up camp in one of the national forests, and spend a few days riding on the forest roads. But unfortunately I don't have any place to keep a trailer.

The above is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
1994/2001 custom built XT225 with a ton of aftermarket parts.

Re: Does Anyone Trailer Their Bike at Home? [Re: JerryH] #152950 03/07/22 10:01 PM
L
LarryJ Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by JerryH
I have never trailered a bike. I live near Phoenix, AZ, where it gets HOT in the summer. Way too hot to ride. 120 degrees is not uncommon. Just 150 miles away, up in the mountains, it will be 85 degrees. I would love to have just an open single rail motorcycle trailer, so I could trailer the bike up there in my air conditioned car, unload it, ride around all day, then load it up and haul it back home. I could also pack a tent and camping stuff in the car, trailer the bike up there, set up camp in one of the national forests, and spend a few days riding on the forest roads. But unfortunately I don't have any place to keep a trailer.

You don't need a trailer to haul a bike. Try one of these. I bought one to take my bike to the Track and Trail place 1.5 hours away, but haven't used it yet.
https://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-receiver-mount-aluminum-motorcycle-carrier-62837.html

Larry
2007 - XT225
Re: Does Anyone Trailer Their Bike at Home? [Re: LarryJ] #152951 03/08/22 01:03 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by LarryJ

You don't need a trailer to haul a bike. Try one of these. I bought one to take my bike to the Track and Trail place 1.5 hours away, but haven't used it yet.
https://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-receiver-mount-aluminum-motorcycle-carrier-62837.html

I have both and the trailer is MUCH easier to load/unload alone. Those little single rail trailers with a wheel chock are a snap to use. The hitch hauler is very convenient since it's not a 700lb trailer and doesn't cost me 3 mpg, but getting the bike on/off the hitch is much easier with another pair of hands.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: Does Anyone Trailer Their Bike at Home? [Re: LarryJ] #152958 03/09/22 02:49 AM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
I tried one of those on a pickup with a camper on it a long time ago, but only once. First, even though it was a proper fit for the receiver on the truck, it was really loose. The ends would rock up and down 6-8 inches. And on even a slightly bumpy road. the whole back end of the truck would almost jump up and down on the road, due to so much weight being so far behind the rear wheels. It had the see saw effect. It was beating the crap out of that carrier and my hitch. The combined weight of the carrier and bike would be around 400 pounds, but could put several times that much stress on the hitch from hitting a bump. With it constantly going up and down like that, it wouldn't take long to break the hitch.

I plan to talk to my former sister in law, their family owns a cabin up in the mountains where I want to go. I'm hoping they will let me park a small trailer (just big enough for the XT) at their cabin. It would be inconvenient, I would have to drive up there (about 120 miles) hook up the trailer, bring it back empty, put the bike on it, then go back. Then I would have to haul the bike back home, unload it, then take the empty trailer back up there and leave it, and drive back. I wouldn't go through all that unless I was planning on staying up there at least a week. But with gas prices being literally a dollar a gallon higher than they were late last year (where I live anyway) it would be expensive. But it would also be fun. The idea of spending a week camping in the forest, with a dual sport bike to ride all day every day, well, it doesn't get much better than that. I would only do it maybe 2-3 times during our 6 month summer.

There is also the possibility of widening my driveway, or tearing down the concrete block wall in front of my house and putting one in with a gate big enough to get a trailer through. But it would be several thousand $$$ either way. And it my possibly lower the property value. There is also the possibility of renting a place in a storage lot. Last time I checked, it was around $100 a month to rent a space big enough for a small trailer in a fenced dirt storage lot. Yet another possibility is finding one of those little single rail trailers that can be taken apart and carried through my front gate in pieces. I can put whatever I want behind the wall. They used to make what was called a "trailer in a bag" which you could do just that with. They were very expensive, and as far as I can tell they don't make them any more. Used ones turn up once in a while for around $3000.

There simply is no cheap or easy way to haul or trailer a bike for me. I've thought of every possibility. 15 years ago I had an old truck that I hauled dirt bikes in. It was a '75 Ford F250 with a 390 in it and a heavy utility bed on it, and got about 8 mpg. And had no A/C. Back then I was able to load bikes into it by myself with a ramp, but I couldn't do that anymore. I sold that truck a long time ago, and replaced it with something else. But I would have to have a low trailer anyway to be able to load and unload a bike by myself anymore.

The above is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
1994/2001 custom built XT225 with a ton of aftermarket parts.

Re: Does Anyone Trailer Their Bike at Home? [Re: LarryJ] #152960 03/09/22 07:04 AM
Ben Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Here in the UK a couple of my friends have trailers which collapse down to a size that fit into a car boot. One of them is security conscious so dismantles it and puts it inside his Volvo estate before we ride, takes about 15 minutes to unbolt it all..
They cost from £379 for a 150kg capacity one, nothing like this in the US?

http://www.davecooper.co.uk/trailers/trailers-for-bikes

Cheers Ben

2007 serow 250 from new, now gone to a new home. 2022 Gasgas EC300
Re: Does Anyone Trailer Their Bike at Home? [Re: JerryH] #152962 03/09/22 12:36 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by JerryH
I tried one of those on a pickup with a camper on it a long time ago, but only once. First, even though it was a proper fit for the receiver on the truck, it was really loose. The ends would rock up and down 6-8 inches. And on even a slightly bumpy road. the whole back end of the truck would almost jump up and down on the road, due to so much weight being so far behind the rear wheels. It had the see saw effect. It was beating the crap out of that carrier and my hitch. The combined weight of the carrier and bike would be around 400 pounds, but could put several times that much stress on the hitch from hitting a bump. With it constantly going up and down like that, it wouldn't take long to break the hitch.

I plan to talk to my former sister in law, their family owns a cabin up in the mountains where I want to go. I'm hoping they will let me park a small trailer (just big enough for the XT) at their cabin. It would be inconvenient, I would have to drive up there (about 120 miles) hook up the trailer, bring it back empty, put the bike on it, then go back. Then I would have to haul the bike back home, unload it, then take the empty trailer back up there and leave it, and drive back. I wouldn't go through all that unless I was planning on staying up there at least a week. But with gas prices being literally a dollar a gallon higher than they were late last year (where I live anyway) it would be expensive. But it would also be fun. The idea of spending a week camping in the forest, with a dual sport bike to ride all day every day, well, it doesn't get much better than that. I would only do it maybe 2-3 times during our 6 month summer.

There is also the possibility of widening my driveway, or tearing down the concrete block wall in front of my house and putting one in with a gate big enough to get a trailer through. But it would be several thousand $$$ either way. And it my possibly lower the property value. There is also the possibility of renting a place in a storage lot. Last time I checked, it was around $100 a month to rent a space big enough for a small trailer in a fenced dirt storage lot. Yet another possibility is finding one of those little single rail trailers that can be taken apart and carried through my front gate in pieces. I can put whatever I want behind the wall. They used to make what was called a "trailer in a bag" which you could do just that with. They were very expensive, and as far as I can tell they don't make them any more. Used ones turn up once in a while for around $3000.

There simply is no cheap or easy way to haul or trailer a bike for me. I've thought of every possibility. 15 years ago I had an old truck that I hauled dirt bikes in. It was a '75 Ford F250 with a 390 in it and a heavy utility bed on it, and got about 8 mpg. And had no A/C. Back then I was able to load bikes into it by myself with a ramp, but I couldn't do that anymore. I sold that truck a long time ago, and replaced it with something else. But I would have to have a low trailer anyway to be able to load and unload a bike by myself anymore.

Sounds like the hitch carrier you had was missing the lock. All that I've seen have either a locking pin or a wedge of some sort to prevent the carrier from wobbling just as you describe. With that in place, mine doesn't wobble at all.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: Does Anyone Trailer Their Bike at Home? [Re: LarryJ] #153125 03/31/22 05:14 PM
R
Ron Boals Offline
R
all good suggestions, I do have a very nice, single axle, Haulmark. Normally I use it for bike storage over the winter. Cut a plug in socket through the side wall, so I can run an extension cord for battery tenders, but it could also serve as a camper with a few additional modifications, and I could hook up a small generator or the electric hookup at a campsite.. I have made a couple trips to the Knoxville Tennessee area, actually Tellico Plains, and one trip to Florida with it. They will cut your mileage significantly. Common sense practices might include backing it into a parking space that has a fence behind it or the motel, then leaving your tow vehicle attached. Chains and locks might be discouraging, but are easily defeated with handheld grinders. I also have a smaller landscape type trailer, with a drop ramp, that is uncovered that works nicely if you aren't concerned about rain. If you are on any kind of trip, I'd highly recommend insurance coverage.
As far as theft a trailer is a convenient wa to move a stolen motorcycle(s).

Re: Does Anyone Trailer Their Bike at Home? [Re: LarryJ] #154102 01/28/23 07:19 AM
K
KMart Offline
K
I'm thinking of trying one of these rather than dealing with a trailer...
https://www.alljackedupinc.com/products

New to the XT250. New to off-road riding. On the trail since 27 Jan 2023.
2015 XT250
Re: Does Anyone Trailer Their Bike at Home? [Re: KMart] #154103 01/28/23 04:01 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Here's the all aluminum receiver hitch bike carrier I used to haul my bikes around. Got it with a bike I bought in New Mexico a few years back, the bike shown in the photo. The seller included it for an extra $100 with the deal. Saved me having to pull my trailer to New Mexico and back, so it was well worth it. Used it a number of times after that, then got my money back out of it when I sold my last XT225 this past summer.

Found this light weight Harbor Freight aluminum receiver hitch bike carrier a near ideal solution for when I wanted to tote my XT around with me without having to pull my trailer along too. The original owner said he gave around $160 for it new..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 18 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,620
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,072
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,160
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,113
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics