Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17
Re: To old to ride? [Re: Bris] #152643 12/20/21 05:24 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
We'll I'm 66 and in good health. No issues so far but I've worked at trying to make healthy choices all my life. Maybe those efforts are paying some dividends now. I can hope. The best exercises and activities are the ones you'll do. Keeping busy and staying active are important. I don't bounce off the ground as well as I used to so I avoid those things. All joints are OEM, except for my right knee.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Surgery on 11/19/2018. Full knee replacement. Try to avoid this if possible as it's no fun!

This from an old sports injury many years ago.

Crashed and burned in the woods. Hit so hard I split my knee open through armored pads. This led to joint failure years later.

OEM well cared for is best if you can achieve it. Not too old to ride physically, just not prepared to take the mental risks of an injury anymore. Wonderful memories of when I did, however. And enjoyment seeing others keep their riding activities alive. Stay active, ride safe and be well.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: To old to ride? [Re: Muniac] #152645 12/20/21 05:49 PM
Paul49 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wow, that's a bad one Scott. I highsided at 60 yr old, didn't bounce well either, broke clavicle & split tibia plateau in two, after 3 op's & 3 years of physio I could walk upstairs quite normal. Mind, I was back riding 4 months after the crash. Walking awkwardly made matters worse, jiggered the opposite hip & lower back. Nowt that a few painkillers can't help. Knee is giving a bit of grief lately, the surgeon said I'd need a knee replacement back in 2010, still hanging onto me own bits. Ha.

I still ride as much as the UK weather allows, out 4 days last week, lucky to get away with that, 'er indoors is a good'n & has a good bunch of chums also, she's out as much as me.

Current: 1958 Ariel 650 FH, 2014 Tiger Sport1050, 1995 XT225 Serow, 2016 Tiger 800 XRx.
Re: To old to ride? [Re: Bris] #152647 12/21/21 01:07 AM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
Both my knee and hip joints are in bad shape, but my left knee is pretty much toast. I wear a very stiff brace on it all the time. There is no cushion or cartilage left. My orthopedic doctor definitely recommended replacing it, and I probably would have already done it. My insurance already agreed to pay for the surgery, but they will not cover ANY follow up care, and I live alone. There is nobody to help me get around until it healed enough for me to walk on it. My oldest daughter volunteered to help, but she already has back issues, and there is no way she could deal with my 240 pounds. I looked into paying for it myself, and found that it would cost between $10,000-$12,000, which I just don't have. Another option that MIGHT help for a little while would be to do surgery to replace the meniscus. That's far less serious than total replacement. From my research, recovery from knee replacement surgery takes at least three months, but most likely six. A full recovery can take around eight to ten months. I'm assuming that during a lot of that I would probably be in better condition than I am right now.

The above is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
1994/2001 custom built XT225 with a ton of aftermarket parts.

Re: To old to ride? [Re: Bris] #152650 12/21/21 07:30 AM
Paul49 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Hi Jerry, you & I suffer too much bulk. Joint pain would be much less & any surgical work heal quicker without all this weight bearing down.

Blame Covid, locking us up eh m8. I'm no big eater, fed healthily, except when out on my own. Need more exercise but catch 22, condition don't like it. Only thing left, is to starve. Ha

I'm on the case, lost 2lbs of 23lbs put on since accident, being told I'm borderline obese was encouragement. I'm down to 198lbs & 36" waist, it's slow going.

Good luck & take care.

Current: 1958 Ariel 650 FH, 2014 Tiger Sport1050, 1995 XT225 Serow, 2016 Tiger 800 XRx.
Re: To old to ride? [Re: Bris] #152651 12/21/21 04:08 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Hi Paul - My neighbor is 93 and still reasonably active. She says, "Old age isn't for sissies." I've come to appreciate her wisdom. I had two arthroscopic surgeries on that knee prior to the full replacement. Each lasted about 2-1/2 years. What happens is the cartilage gets torn up and/or worn down causing bone/bone contact. It's painful.

HD scope image of right knee cartilage damage.

I generally felt pretty good and decided to build a retaining wall. Moved 25K Lbs of 70 Lb blocks twice to get the wall built. That finished off the knee joint or what was left of it. I'd go to bed (after the Tylenol) and lay there in pain until about 5am before it calmed down. Not fun. So I had no choice with the surgery without which I would be a cripple.

Hard work probably best left to those younger and stronger.

My issue now isn't bad pain but range of movement. Most of my older friends that have had knee replacements have full range of motion and no discomfort. Such is not my case, however. I've been trying to get into a second session of rehab but work travel is currently preventing me blocking out the time. The joint will rattle around at times and my hip joint snaps when I walk. But they straightened my leg and most of the bad pain is gone. I can walk and move around reasonably well. Also do some back country skiing keeping it within reasonable limits. See a good orthopedic surgeon, get evaluated and get it done. Rehab is really important too. The injuries you recall are the ones I fear.

Jeannie snapped off her clavicle in an MTB crash. Shown here after surgery w/plate installed.

As for weight, I maxed out at 210 Lbs (I'm 6' medium frame) some years ago. I weighed 160 Lbs in high school. This morning the scale said 147.8 Lbs which is light. I have trouble putting on the weight now. Jeannie weighed 122 Lbs when I met her (14) 48 years ago. She maxed out at 147 Lbs (she's 5' 8") medium frame. She now weighs 112 Lbs which is also a bit light. Excess weight is tough on the hips, knees and ankles. It's best to lose it. We made diet and lifestyle changes some years back with the hopes it will improve general health. Whatever you do, we all come with an expiration date. I've seen obese smokers and drinkers outlive health nuts.

Knee replacement surgery for me was in/out patient. Went under the knife at 7a and walked out the door at 3:30p (on crutches). I was told to walk around as pain levels allowed which I did on crutches. I didn't need any outside assistance to remain mobile, I just move slowly and carefully.

Out like a light for the second scoping back in (11/6/2014).

Feeling sort of sick following surgery. Me at 185 Lbs.

Recovery room after knee replacement. Me at 150 Lbs. Walked out under my own power.

The knee replacement is $65k off the street. I had a max out of pocket of $6.3k on insurance (Anthem BCBS) so that's what I paid. Rehab was included. My knee had to be replaced given pain levels and lack of mobility. People will tell you the knee replacement is the worst of the joint replacements. It isn't a surgery I'd repeat anytime soon either. But I'm grateful for the improvements. Sometimes my knee will swell up for no reason and hurt. Then it calms down in a couple of days. Like I've said, stay trim, keep muscles strong, remain active and make healthy choices. I've often thought the food industry is colluding with big pharma. They fatten you up on the way in, then sell you pills on the way out. Both laughing all the way to the bank. Opt out of that if possible. Be well, stay safe and enjoy.

PS: Jerry - I wish you well dealing with health and joint issues. With a positive attitude, I think you can make improvements. When the mind is ready, a teacher appears.

Evolve & Simplify
Re: To old to ride? [Re: Bris] #152652 12/21/21 04:34 PM
Paul49 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wow Scott, you sure been through it. I've talked to a few people who've had knee replacements, some gone well, some not so. a friend had hers done 15+ years ago, says it's a tad loose now. She's a very active lass, now at 65 yrs rides a Triumph Street triple 675, previously a Harley sportster, I tell her the HD shook it loose.

Re: To old to ride? [Re: Bris] #152653 12/21/21 04:39 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Paul - You are 150% correct about excess weight! Imagine someone gaining 12 Lbs per year which is 60 Lbs in 5 years. Or........ That's 1 Lb per month or 4 oz per week. That's a mouthful of food per day over your calorie needs. All these named diets, for the most part, are BS. Vegetarian diets are extreme IMHO. We weigh all our food on a postal scale just so calories are known. We also walk 3-4 miles daily all year long. We weigh ourselves twice daily. A pound one way or another doesn't matter. You will lose weight daily at a rate of 0.2 Lbs. X30 that's six Lbs gone in a month. With just some calibration on calories. Over time your stomach will shrink and you'll just eat less to feel full. Slow and steady wins this race. And I don't think any radical diet changes are necessary. Just eat a bit less and exercise a bit more. Everyday!

I don't eat bread or drink. That primarily owing to GI upsets caused by these foods. We eat all meats, salmon, trout, shrimp, scallops. Brown rice, baked potato and Birdseye frozen mixed vegetables. For liquids we like Imagine soups, tea and hot water. I eat 3/4 of a bar of extreme dark chocolate every day. No desserts or sweets of any kind. Avoid (or cut down on) sugar and high fructose corn sweeteners. Also like raw carrots with ranch dip. My weakness is potato chips for which I like Lays low sodium (blue bag) which are delicious. I eat FFs when available. Salads, daily of mixed greens, carrots, beats, beans and a hard cheese once in a while. Like hard boiled eggs too. The trick is we just don't over eat anything and stay on a consistent schedule. Eat what you enjoy but just do it so calories consumed are slightly less than calories burned. Keep track of portions and your weight. You will make progress and reach goals. Walking is great exercise and can be done almost anywhere. It takes about 20 minutes to walk 1 mile. I walk 20 minute intervals morning, mid morning, afternoon and evening. If the weather is really bad, that's a rest day which never hurts.

When I was in Maine on business I did loops in the hotel from the 5th floor. One loop took 4 minutes so I'd do 5 for 1 mile. Stairs steps are good exercise. Good luck.

Evolve & Simplify
Re: To old to ride? [Re: Bris] #152654 12/21/21 04:53 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Paul - Knee replacement surgery has come a long way since 15 years back. I have three parts in my knee. They removed only about 6mm of bone. They use surgical glue to join artificial parts to bone tissue. I have a flat plate on top of my tibia and a polished titanium spherical part on the femur. A HDPE (high density polyethylene) thin plate indexes the lower plate and has two scallops that match the titanium. The plastic piece and titanium are the running surfaces. They impregnate the plastic with vitamin E as an antiseptic. The parts weight approximately 1/2 Lb more than what's removed. The next step in this process is stem cells. The nurse in the photo above has blown her knees out skiing. She got stem cell treatments with marginal results. The idea is to get your body to regrow new cartilage. Some years off before this gets all working.

Replacements do vary in success. I'd give mine a C+ which is tons better than my damaged knee. Friends who've been through this are always good to speak with. When the man in the pink nightgown comes around and says, "Game over and lights out." I hope I'm sleeping. Take care.

Evolve & Simplify
Re: To old to ride? [Re: Bris] #152657 12/21/21 09:50 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My Dad has had both knees replaced. The three most important things I learned are therapy, therapy, and therapy. Never stop the therapy. Dad's 75 and while he says his knees don't hurt anymore, his flexibility is really bad. He's selling his bike because he can't get on it or hold it up anymore. Other people I've talked to who've had knees replaced say that's all about post op work.

Dad made a comment when he started therapy after the first one that's really stuck with me.... He said he had no idea how weak he'd gotten. That motivates me to keep lifting weights. I don't do anything heavy anymore because I don't want to get hurt (again), but I try to maintain my strength level. Lots of stuff I read talks about how it gets more important as you get older. So that helps keep me going.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: To old to ride? [Re: Bris] #152658 12/21/21 10:49 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
You're wise to do some strength training. And keep moving within limits. I see older guys at the gym thinking they are 35 and try lifting like that. Most go super nova then implode. Or snap something that takes them out of the game. For me, I've been doing this stuff all my life. But slow and steady never trying to make a statement. Balance training is another area I spend time with. I have about 5 exercises I do for this. What you don't use you will lose. It's the sports and activities that's beat me up. Broken bones, sprains, strains, tears, etc. It all hurts now at some level. Nothing a few Tylenol won't ease.

Jeannie and I don't do as much as we used to but remain active. That the adventure circle has shrunk a bit is fine. We have great memories, photos and videos. And we're still alive.

Beyond a certain point, some stuff doesn't make sense to risk. Climbing an unsanctioned trail in Zion NP (1/3/2014). Jeannie was 56 then.

Stay safe.

Evolve & Simplify
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,308
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 4,951
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 3,911
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,048
Paul49 2,026
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics