Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: "They Paved Paradise.. [Re: Az4x4] #152302 09/23/21 02:33 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The engine noise is the least annoying part. The high pitched whine isn't the engine, it's the CVT. The faster you go, the faster the drivetrain spins, and the louder it gets. There's no "cruise" type setting to dial it back when just riding at a constant speed. The tires are also very loud on asphalt.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: "They Paved Paradise.. [Re: peejman] #152304 09/24/21 02:47 AM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Examples of the marginal build quality that a many SxS's sold these days are known for can be seen in any number of YouTube videos posted by 'Matt's Off Road Recovery' of Hurricane, Utah. For those who've never seen any of Matt's videos Here's A Link that should be of interest..

..FAILURE is not the opposite of SUCCESS, it's part of what makes SUCCESS..
Re: "They Paved Paradise.. [Re: Az4x4] #152305 09/24/21 09:14 AM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
I've been watching that channel for a while. I want a yellow Jeep Cherokee just like theirs (the banana) with a carbureted engine. I can't believe some of the vehicles people have gotten stuck in. You would have thought that anybody would realize that those vehicles were not suitable for terrain like that. You mentioned the SxSs. I also noticed just how many modern trucks, including four wheel drives get stuck out there. They don't build trucks like they used to. Many of those trucks have what I call "ghetto" wheels. Huge diameter wheels and tires with almost no sidewalls. That crap doesn't even work on the street, let alone out on a rocky trail or deep sand. You need 15" wheels with huge tires and super wide sidewalls, aired down to about 10 psi. That's what they have on that Jeep, and it has pulled out trucks twice it's size.

The above is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
1994/2001 custom built XT225 with a ton of aftermarket parts.

Re: "They Paved Paradise.. [Re: JerryH] #152308 09/25/21 06:14 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JerryH
..I've been watching that channel for a while. I want a yellow Jeep Cherokee just like theirs (the banana) with a carbureted engine. I can't believe some of the vehicles people have gotten stuck in..... You need 15" wheels with huge tires and super wide sidewalls, aired down to about 10 psi. That's what they have on that Jeep, and it has pulled out trucks twice it's size...

Those who've followed 'Matt's Off Road Recovery' channel on YouTube for some time have watched as Matt's yellow Jeep Cherokee, 'the Banana' has gone through a complete upgrade front to back right in Matt's own garage. It now has a brand new 4.6L inline Jeep 'stroker' engine with new running gear throughout and a huge oversize radiator to keep it cool. Custom built bead lockers on every wheel so they don't have to worry about rolling a tire off a 10" wheel bead any longer. Huge 37" tires they typically run at about 8 to 10 pounds of air pressure. A new 12,000 lb "Badlands" winch with a synthetic pull rope mounted to a receiver for use either front or rear on the Banana. Plus the Cherokee's chassis and interior has been completely rebuilt with custom gauges, new seats, air conditioning, ..you name it and the Banana isn't the same old yellow Jeep any longer! It was fascinating watching Matt and his crew tear that Jeep apart and upgrade it from the ground up.

With both their 'Morrvair' (another custom built off road recovery vehicle with an awesome Corvair station wagon body) and the totally rebuilt Jeep Cherokee available to work with, recovering people who get stuck in soft sand, slide off some steep mountainside trail, or roll their vehicles upside down into a desert wash while off roading in vehicles never designed for the sort of smash mouth terrain that southern Utah and the Arizona Strip (the rugged remote section of Arizona from north of the Grand Canyon to the Utah border) throw at them, Matt has a constantly 'in demand' business he and his crew run out of their work place in Hurricane, Utah.

What's particularly fascinating about the videos Matt posts on a weekly basis is they provide a close up look for those who'd otherwise have no idea how rugged and potentially deadly this area of the southwest actually is. Just because someone has some sort of new super high dollar do it all 4x4 with every whistle and bell known to man, unless they know up front what they're getting into going off road in terrain like this - they're more than likely going to be calling Matt or someone like him to get them and their flashy vehicle out of some off road 'pickle' they've got themselves into..

Re: "They Paved Paradise.. [Re: Az4x4] #152311 09/25/21 11:54 PM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
I've never believed an off road vehicle should be flashy, which is one reason my XT is scratched and dirty. I remember one episode of Matt's Off Road Recovery where they had to rescue a $100K Jeep just covered in expensive bling, including those huge diameter wheels and tires with very little in the way of sidewalls. Yes, they fixed that "Banana" up to do what they intended for it to do, not to look pretty. That "Morrvair" is one weird looking vehicle. They did get it stuck once. I need to go back and look at how they built it.

Places like that is where they should go with these side by sides and buggys, NOT around peoples homes and campsites. There is nobody out there to bother. But most of them are probably afraid of places like that.

Re: "They Paved Paradise.. [Re: JerryH] #152315 09/26/21 07:41 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JerryH
.....That "Morrvair" is one weird looking vehicle. They did get it stuck once. I need to go back and look at how they built it...

Here's a link to part of the Morrvair Build that you'll find interesting. Matt's at his friend Paul's place a couple of hours from Hurricane. Paul runs a custom build shop he calls 'Fab Rats.' Once you've seen this video you'll understand how fitting that name is for Paul's business!..

Re: "They Paved Paradise.. [Re: Az4x4] #152330 09/28/21 02:36 AM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
Very unique vehicle for sure.

Re: "They Paved Paradise.. [Re: Az4x4] #152331 09/28/21 01:36 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dirt bikes are happiest when they're dirty.

While I think wagons in general are cool, that Morvair just might be the coolest thing I've seen this week. I didn't know a Corvair wagon even existed, though google has educated me. I bet it was a dynamics nightmare.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: "They Paved Paradise.. [Re: peejman] #152332 09/28/21 04:08 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by peejman
.....While I think wagons in general are cool, that Morvair just might be the coolest thing I've seen this week. I didn't know a Corvair wagon even existed, though google has educated me. I bet it was a dynamics nightmare..

Yeah, you're right Pj. Dirt bikes are in their element when they're dirty! A lot of the places we see in larger stuck vehicle recovery videos, in particular here in the southwest, wouldn't phase off road bike riders in the least. We'd pick a line and find our way through situations that see mega dollar factory built off road vehicles of all types stopped dead in their tracks - and that's just amazingly cool when you get right down to it!..

Watching various highlights of Matt's 'Morrvair' build provides some indication of the "dynamics nightmare" (very well put!) these guys faced as they 'eyeball engineered,' roughed out and built this unique vehicle from the ground up. In the end they created a 4 wheel vehicle that goes most anywhere one of our bikes will go (except maybe through tight spaces too narrow for it to manage) and can carry a lot of people and equipment with it or strapped to a utility trailer it's towing, things a bike couldn't begin to do.

The Morrvair's custom chassis and its '81 Corvair wagon body were put together in Hurricane, UT at Matt's shop. The complete power train assembly and installation took place at Paul's 'Fab Rats' shop in Glendale, UT. ..The completed build was pretty much a 'Friends and Family' collaborative effort start to finish, no great minds spending millions on test labs and government mandated impact studies, just one guy with help from family and friends turning an old Corvair 'Lakewood' wagon into an awesome off road recovery, rock crawler specialty vehicle on their own - with a lot of the YouTube world looking on and cheering their efforts..

Here's a Close Up Look at Matt's newly built 1981 Corvair 'Morrvair' Lakewood bodied off road recovery vehicle and his original 2001 Jeep 'Banana' Cherokee, the first a self-engineered and home built specialty vehicle, and the second a basically stock '01 Jeep Cherokee in a side-by-side comparison and field test of their abilities under a variety of conditions. Basically this video shows how well each of these handled the 'dynamics nightmare' their end use tested them with day after day at that time. Since that original head to head comparison the Cherokee has undergone a major upgrade, rebuilt from the ground up, making it virtually the equal of the Morrvair in every measurable way.

Nothing terribly 'scientific' going on here, no men in lab coats doing precise laser measurements and such, ..just a fun half hour video of the crew pitting these two vehicles against each other to show what they had to work with at that time.

Today, as they rescue people from often impossible to imagine situations in a huge variety of name brand "off-road" vehicles, people who discover endless ways of getting themselves stuck, broke down or otherwise out of commission all across the massive, unpredictable, rugged wilderness area that 'Matt's Off Road Recovery' services, both of these newly built (Morrvair) or now totally rebuilt (Banana) recovery vehicles prove their value and capabilities every time they're called out on a job..

Re: "They Paved Paradise.. [Re: Az4x4] #152358 09/30/21 12:46 AM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
I agree that wagons are cool in this "crossover" world. I have owned a 1972 Ford Pinto woodgrain wagon for more than 18 years. I took out the original 2.0L inline four and put in a 289 V8 out of a 1967 Falcon. It has a 4 speed manual transmission. I love the way it looks and it's a blast to drive.

A dirt bike will go just about anywhere but sand. I have gotten my XT stuck in sand a couple of times, while riding with others on 4 wheeled ATVs, and had to be pulled out. Four big wide tires work much better in sand. On the other hand, bikes do much better in rocks, because they are a single track vehicle with narrow tires, and you can pick your way through rocky sections without getting hung up.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,308
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 4,951
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 3,911
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,048
Paul49 2,026
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics