Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Moderna Vaccine #150608 02/25/21 04:32 PM
Muniac Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
I got my first shot on Wed Feb 17th at our county clinic. The people there did an excellent job of addressing concerns, scheduling and administering the vaccine. My tier is 1B.2 I had a sore arm for a couple of days and felt slightly tired the next day. The stats are 30% of people will feel mild symptoms after the first shot. That jumps up to 60% after the second shot. I'm scheduled for my second shot on Mar 17th. It takes two weeks after that to be fully immunized. I had a TeleMed visit with my doctor the Tuesday before my first shot to get questions answered. He's had the virus and the vaccine. The advice was there is no medical reason to not get the vaccine. I also have a business trip coming up to Maine. I've spoken with about 20 people that have had the virus and about 8 who have been vaccinated. Regarding being a lab rat, pick the vaccine or getting infected as either of them will be an experiment. Some concluding thoughts below which I hope are helpful:

Viral infections have always been around which we know from annual flu seasons. Last year it was COVID-19. So are we heading for COVID-20, COVID-21, etc. all designed to intimidate and control us? I don't think so as people's patience is stretched pretty thin. As I've mentioned, this virus BS has been on my mind for 4-6 months. Over which time I've struggled to get reliable data. Data that stands the best chances of applying to me not large population groups. Each of us is an individual so facts, figures and stats derived from the large group can go terribly wrong for the single person. Errors being on either side of the median. It's our responsibility to know the difference and extrapolate what's applicable. And when you'll all done with that, you'll never know for sure. My summaries below:

1) The virus is real and contagious.
2) Most people will survive an infection. With some being asymptomatic carriers.
3) Symptoms vary widely from person to person. Ranging from nothing at all to cardiac arrest and death.
4) Being healthy helps minimize impacts but isn't a guarantee. Some healthy people get very sick. Some unhealthy people get mildly sick. The reasons aren't well understood.
5) Therapeutic treatments may help some if available and administered early at or before the onset of symptoms.
6) Your chances of getting infected are good if you are exposed via other people. Or frequenting hot spots. Work may prevent isolation.
7) Masks attenuate moisture droplets and reduce the distance viral particles will project. They don't protect the wearer from infection. Viral particles enter via eyes, nose and throat.
8) Viral particles can be picked up from surfaces. Plastic and metal being better transmitters than paper and wood.
9) Viral particles can remain "alive" on surfaces for 5 days. Not well understood and depends on many factors.
10) RNA protein marker vaccine technology is safe and effective for most people. Exceptions and adverse reactions exist but are a small percentage of trial groups.
11) Vaccines aren't 100% effective. You can get vaccinated and still get sick. Chances are with less severe symptoms.
12) Vaccinated people can still spread live viral particles to another person.
13) Loss of taste and smell are common sides effects. Ranging from several days to permanent. Not well understood how and why.
14) Reduced lung capacity and cardio damage are also possible. Again, not well understood.
15) The virus originated from Wuhan, China and was likely engineered in some way. Making it behave differently from other flu strains.
16) Viruses do mutate and COVID-19 is no exception. Into what and how severe isn't known yet.
17) It will be several years before the host population is reduced. Either by death, vaccines and/or more people getting infected (body manufactures antibodies).
18) Younger people are less likely to get very sick. Although some are showing pulmonary inflammation afterwards. Data is sketchy.
19) Ultimately herd immunity will prevail.
20) The virus is nature's way of controlling population. Who gets removed from the herd isn't well understood. Usually the weak, old, sick, infirm and those with comorbidity issues go first.

The above are my conclusions based on reading, thinking, watching videos and talking with people that have been infected and/or vaccinated. I will continue to provide updates as I move through my vaccine program. And collect additional data from people I speak with. Haven't keeled over yet or grown a 6th finger. Stay healthy.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Moderna Vaccine [Re: Muniac] #150612 02/25/21 07:51 PM
P
ptxyz Offline
P
thanks for sharing your experience with the jab. i'd add that from what i've read, being vaccinated almost guarantees one won't have a serious case of covid19. one might still get infected but, will almost certainly avoid hospitalization.

my wife's (education) eligible starting monday, myself (transit) sometime in the future.

can't happen soon enough.

Re: Moderna Vaccine [Re: Muniac] #150613 02/25/21 08:27 PM
Muniac Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
It's all about reducing the host population the virus infects (my point 17). I've had two bad influenza infections, whooping cough and 3 bouts of food poisoning. Food poisoning was, without a doubt, the worst of the lot. The last flu (early 2000s) I ran 103.5F for 10 days. Had barely enough energy to walk up stairs. I also had to work which wasn't fun. No one back then was concerned about spreading the infection. It was flu season and some got sick and others didn't. Once my fever broke, I coughed for about 1 month.

The reports I've been getting from COVID-19 range from virtually no symptoms to death via cardiac arrest. Jeannie lost her 1st cousin (age 70) late in December 2020. He started coughing on Thursday, was taken to the hospital on Friday then went into cardiac arrest and checked out. Reasonably healthy but just didn't handle the infection well. Other's I've spoken with haven't been really sick. All of them report loss of smell and/or taste with some running out 4+ months. It seems unique to this viral infection. Attitudes towards the vaccine range from rat poison all the way to I can't get it soon enough. Each to his own.

Everyone globally is dealing with this. So I hope this thread helps the thought process and promotes a rational discussion. BTW: I never felt the needle either. I though she hadn't stuck me yet only to find out I was done. Takes about 2 seconds and it's a very tiny needle. They make you sit for 15 minutes just to make sure you're OK.

Evolve & Simplify
Re: Moderna Vaccine [Re: Muniac] #150639 02/27/21 10:42 AM
Paul49 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
We both had 1st jabs 8th Jan, me Pfizer mrs Astra Zeneca, neither of us had any effects at all. We'll get 2nd jab end of March, 12 week gap here.

Restrictions being lifted steadily in UK, should be legal to go a ride on 29th March, then all back to normal 21st June.

Take care y'all.

Current: 1958 Ariel 650 FH, 2014 Tiger Sport1050, 1995 XT225 Serow, 2016 Tiger 800 XRx.
Re: Moderna Vaccine [Re: Muniac] #150645 02/28/21 05:22 PM
Muniac Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Dr. Makary is a professor at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and Bloomberg School of Public Health, chief medical adviser to Sesame Care, and author of “The Price We Pay.” He's predicting herd immunity by April and explains why IN THIS PDF which is 3 pages and worth a read. Glad you guys are moving forward back to a normal life. People generally don't do well being clammed up for extended periods of time.

Our vaccine shot interval here is 28-30 days. Many people I've spoken with have easing concerns about taking it. No 6th finger on my hand yet. Stats go from 30% to 60% chance for symptoms after the 2nd shot. That said, I haven't heard any horror stories. Being optimistic never hurts either.

Evolve & Simplify
Re: Moderna Vaccine [Re: Muniac] #150673 03/02/21 04:56 PM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
I have decided not to take the vaccine, at least until it has been around a lot longer. While I am in poor physical condition (mostly orthopedic type stuff) my immune system seems to work just fine. I have never had the flu or even a cold. I have never had a flu shot. I still remember back when I was a teenager during the Carter administration, when they ran out out of vaccine for what they called the "swine flu" which was supposed to be really bad. They rushed to make more, and it killed a lot of people. I have not taken a vaccine since, other than a couple of tetanus shots after being injured at work.

While this virus is real, I fully believe it's danger has been grossly exaggerated as a means of controlling people. Approximately 7,452 people die every day in the United States. With numbers like that, it would not be difficult to make people believe that a lot more of them died from CV than what actually did. Unfortunately most everybody I know just believes what they are told, and don't question anything. The longer this drags on, the more people seem to accept living (existing) the way the government tells them to, and are perfectly willing to give up their freedom and rights for "protection"

Here is a quote I have lived my life by. I read it in a motorcycle magazine as a teenager. The guy that wrote it is/was a motorcycle magazine editor and roadracer.

"I refuse to believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence." — Nick Ienatsch

Life is not without risk, and never will be. Risk is a part of life, and a big part of what gives life meaning.

The above is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
1994/2001 custom built XT225 with a ton of aftermarket parts.

Re: Moderna Vaccine [Re: JerryH] #150675 03/02/21 07:58 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JerryH
.........Life is not without risk, and never will be. Risk is a part of life, and a big part of what gives life meaning..

To each their own, Jerry. Deciding not to get the vaccine is risky. Deciding, as most will, to get the vaccine likewise comes with a risk. ..A certain amount of risk is inherent in everything we do. For those who's immune systems may not be as robust as yours and others, and at my age even though I feel great I see myself among that group, the benefits of getting the vaccine outweigh whatever small risk there may be.

A week from today I get my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine. Some say the second dose has more side effects than the slightly sore arm the first dose brought with it. We'll see. I'll report back on how it goes..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Moderna Vaccine [Re: Muniac] #150678 03/03/21 04:27 PM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
Like you said, it is a choice everybody has to make. For me, doing something potentially dangerous when I don't see the need presents more risk than doing nothing. I am sure I have been exposed to various viruses all my life, I know I have been close to many people with the flu and colds, yet I have never had the symptoms of either. I DID have the measles, mumps, and chicken pox in first grade, along with everybody else, and survived them all just fine.

I have never made any attempt to protect myself from common viruses. When a family member had one, I did not stay away from them. I worked with people who had various viruses. I believe that strengthened my immune system. Unfortunately, being isolated from people for the past year likely weakened my immune system.

Still, in order to justify the risk of doing something potentially dangerous (they came up with this vaccine in a VERY short time, and several people have died after taking it) there needs to be a reason, and I do not yet have a sufficient reason. I took all kinds of vaccines when I was a kid, but other than the tetanus shots, have not had any kind of vaccine as an adult.

Many Desert Storm veterans developed lifelong and debilitating conditions after coming home. Some died. It has long been thought that the vaccines they took before going over there had something to do with it, though that was, to my knowledge, never proven.

I have also noticed that the government is really pushing this vaccine. Not just here, but around the world. Every year I get pressured into taking a flu shot, but never have. I don't like being pressured, especially by someone I don't trust. Since I am on Medicare, I have an annual wellness visit every year, and mine is coming up this month. I'm expecting my doctor to try and pressure me into getting not only a flu shot as always, but this vaccine as well. However, after having done a lot of research, I found that there are a lot of doctors out there who are NOT recommending it. So it is not universally accepted within the medical community as a good thing. I have to make my decisions based on the best information I have at the time. I could do one or the other, either one could be right or wrong, or it might make no real difference.

My relatives are pretty much equally divided on this issue. Some can't wait to take the vaccine, the others want nothing to do with it. I wish them them all the best, as I do you. I also hope I am doing the right thing.

On a different note, it is being reported that the governor of Texas is dropping the mask requirement and allowing all businesses to open back up 100%. I absolutely believe that is the right thing to do. I hope other politicians follow his lead. We have had a mask policy here that has been in place for almost 10 months. Most businesses where people gather are still closed, many permanently. I think it is long past time that we got back to the "old" normal. I have no desire to spend the rest of my life like this, however long it lasts. I consider this just "existing" not living. I've lost a year of my life that I can never get back. And I haven't seen anything that can justify that. Everyone take care

The above is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
1994/2001 custom built XT225 with a ton of aftermarket parts.

Re: Moderna Vaccine [Re: Muniac] #150783 03/13/21 02:14 AM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Got my second Covid shot two days ago. Thought I had received the Pfizer vaccine with the first shot, but it turned out what I got was the Moderna vaccine - which the tech who delivered the second shot explained was equal in every way to the Pfizer product, delivering 90 to 95% immunity with its two doses.

With the first shot I had a sore arm for three or four days. With the second dose, which I got at 11:00 AM, my arm didn't hurt but about 6 hours later my whole body ached like I had the flu. I was basically down for about 20 hours, then the aches went away and I feel fine again.

From what I'm told reactions to the second dose range from not much at all to being down and out for upwards of a week. So feeling achy for about a day wasn't bad at all, in case anyone wonders..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Moderna Vaccine [Re: Muniac] #150850 03/17/21 10:21 PM
Muniac Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
I just got my 2nd Moderna shot, Mar 17th Wednesday 10:55a MDT. Side effects jump from 30% to 60% for the second shot. So far (about 4 hours later) I'm fine. I'll provide updates as the days tick off. It's 2 weeks more before this kicks in fully. Hoping for no issues.

Evolve & Simplify
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,615
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,064
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,153
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,112
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics