Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: New Member From Indonesia [Re: Gilang Pratama] #148860 09/02/20 01:26 AM
W
Woods Walker Offline
W
Welcome Gilang !
Nice Bike ! I'm new on here too and have much to learn. I also like that center stand.

Re: New Member From Indonesia [Re: Woods Walker] #150635 02/27/21 02:44 AM
G
Gilang Pratama Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Woods Walker
Welcome Gilang !
Nice Bike ! I'm new on here too and have much to learn. I also like that center stand.

That is the cheapest center stand I could ever find!

Re: New Member From Indonesia [Re: Gilang Pratama] #150636 02/27/21 02:56 AM
G
OP Offline
G
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Just did an oil change with 5W40 Pertamina Fastron Gold. An Indonesian local brand with a group 3 based oil. I chose that because it meets ACEA A3/B4, API SN certification, with HTHS above 3.5, TBN around 10, and low kV at 40 degree celcius which is only 84 cST. The bike sounds smoother with this 5w40 compared to the 20w50 from the same brand.

Just FYI, I recently measured the temp of the oil sump. It mostly reached 65 degree Celcius. So I don't think I ever need that thick 50 weight oil, despite the hot tropical weather at where I live. With thinner oil and better base oil, the oil gets distributed faster, thus protects engine more.

Re: New Member From Indonesia [Re: Gilang Pratama] #150637 02/27/21 03:54 AM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
I wish that bike were available in the U.S., carburetor and all. It would be perfect for short distance rides, maybe a couple hundred miles. Something I use a 750cc bike for. Are those tubeless tires? One of the reasons I don't get too far from home on the XT is because of it's tube type tires. I like that centerstand. I have a centerstand on my XT. I use Castrol 20w50 oil in the XT in the U.S. I live in the hottest place in the U.S.

The above is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
1994/2001 custom built XT225 with a ton of aftermarket parts.

Re: New Member From Indonesia [Re: JerryH] #150638 02/27/21 04:28 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by JerryH
I wish that bike were available in the U.S., carburetor and all. It would be perfect for short distance rides, maybe a couple hundred miles. Something I use a 750cc bike for. Are those tubeless tires? One of the reasons I don't get too far from home on the XT is because of it's tube type tires. I like that centerstand. I have a centerstand on my XT. I use Castrol 20w50 oil in the XT in the U.S. I live in the hottest place in the U.S.

Hi, JerryH

They came with two version, the earlier with spoke rim, the latter with alloy rim. Both are tube type. Mine came with alloy rim, and I changed my tyres to tubeless for the sake of convinience of use. You can, use the tubeless tyre with spoke rim. We usually (cheap ways) use the inner tube of 14 inch automatic scooter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0P_zuO0ipE

Couple hundred miles is considered long distance ride in my country. We do it with "small bike" 100-250cc. We don't really have big bike. They are only a few and most of them are without paper.

How long is your OCI with castrol? And what's the ambient temp down there? We are usually at 28-31 degree celcius.82-87 degree Fahrenheit.

Re: New Member From Indonesia [Re: Gilang Pratama] #150642 02/27/21 04:00 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Gilang Pratama
Originally Posted by JerryH
..I wish that bike were available in the U.S., carburetor and all. It would be perfect for short distance rides, maybe a couple hundred miles. Something I use a 750cc bike for. Are those tubeless tires?.....

.....Both are tube type. Mine came with alloy rim, and I changed my tyres to tubeless for the sake of convenience... use the inner tube of 14 inch automatic scooter... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0P_zuO0ipE.......

Thanks for the video, Gilang. That's an ingenious solution to a DIY 'tubeless tire' spoked wheel conversion!..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: New Member From Indonesia [Re: Gilang Pratama] #150643 02/27/21 10:41 PM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
Interesting. I have seen various methods used to mount a tubeless tire on a spoked rim, but I've never trusted any of them. Most involve trying to seal the spokes where they come through the rim. The problem is, spokes flex and move, and would likely break the seal at some point. I don't understand why we still have tube type tires on bikes in 2001. Cars went with tubeless tires in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Not only are tube type tires extremely difficult to repair when you have a flat out on the road, but when a tube is punctured, it usually goes flat immediately. If you are riding at highway speeds, that can be extremely dangerous. When a tubeless tire is punctured (and it is harder to puncture a tubeless tire than a tube type tire) they usually lose air very slowly, giving you a chance to pull over safely.

We have EFI and ABS, but are still using stone age tires. Even bicycles are switching to tubeless tires. Some XT225s came with tubeless rear wheels, but not in the U.S. I notice many of the big adventure bikes are coming with tubeless wire spoke wheels. But you can still get large street bikes capable of well over 100 mph with tube type tires in the U.S. Way back in 1986, Honda came up with tubeless wire spoked wheels for tubeless tires for the 1986-1987 Rebel 450. They designed special wheels for a small bike they only made for 2 years because at the time, according to a magazine article, they did not consider tube type tires safe for a 450cc bike. That didn't last very long. I can't help but laugh when I see ABS disc brakes on a wire spoked tube type wheel. IMO anyway, you are way more likely to be killed by a tube type tire blowout than improper braking. It's happened to me a couple of times. I've had front tire blowouts at 80 mph on the highway. I consider myself lucky to have survived. I will no longer ride a bike with tube type tires on the highway.

I change the oil in the XT225 around 1000 miles. It is a small air cooled engine that only holds a little over 1 qt. of oil. Sometimes I have changed it after riding for one day in the dusty AZ desert. Ambient temperature varies widely here. It can be down in the 40s F in the winter, and over 115 F in the summer. I no longer ride during the day in the summer. Just too hot. I have owned over 50 bikes in my life, and have used 20w50 oil in all of them. I have never let any vehicle, bike, car, or truck go past 3000 miles without changing the oil.

The above is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
1994/2001 custom built XT225 with a ton of aftermarket parts.

Re: New Member From Indonesia [Re: Gilang Pratama] #150650 02/28/21 07:32 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just did an oil change with 5W40 Pertamina Fastron Gold. An Indonesian local brand with a group 3 based oil. I chose that because it meets ACEA A3/B4, API SN certification, with HTHS above 3.5, TBN around 10, and low kV at 40 degree celcius which is only 84 cST. The bike sounds smoother with this 5w40 compared to the 20w50 from the same brand.

Just FYI, I recently measured the temp of the oil sump. It mostly reached 65 degree Celcius. So I don't think I ever need that thick 50 weight oil, despite the hot tropical weather at where I live. With thinner oil and better base oil, the oil gets distributed faster, thus protects engine more.

The sump is the coolest place in the oil system. The temp there is far less important than the temp of the oil thats passing through the cylinder head. Cylinder head oil temps of 100C or higher aren't unusual.

I also doubt your infrared thermometer is giving you accurate readings. The thermometer isn't telling you the temperature at the little laser dot, its giving the average temp of a much larger area.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: New Member From Indonesia [Re: Gilang Pratama] #150682 03/03/21 07:28 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Gilang Pratama
Originally Posted by Woods Walker
..Welcome Gilang !
Nice Bike ! I'm new on here too and have much to learn. I also like that center stand..

That is the cheapest center stand I could ever find!

Tell us if you will, Gilang, where you found that center stand? If it could be fitted to the XT225 I'd order one today!..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 15 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,620
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,072
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,160
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,113
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics