Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: MREs, Just in Case [Re: peejman] #150036 01/16/21 06:13 PM
D
Deserteagle56 Offline
Member L2
Member L2
D
Originally Posted by peejman

Imlost... while I am sad and despondent about the current state of our democracy, I absolutely haven't given up hope. I dont trust the leadership. Most of them are super wealthy and in politics only to advance their own agenda and bank accounts. I think all politicians should get paid the same salary as the average beat cop in their district. Democracy can't work when the leadership is in it for the money and power.

If you know of news sources that present verified and unbiased facts, I'd love to know about them. Personally, I think journalism is largely dead. Reporters aren't given the time to do thorough research, they're judged on how much revenue their stories generate than the quality of their writing.

My preparations have very little to do with a general decline in society and a lot to do with the storms that roll through here every spring and summer. We're also past due for another big winter storm. I think most of those TEOTWAWKI people are nuts and will be the first to go.

Well said, peejman. To my mind, the politicians in Washington should be limited to 2 terms, then go back home. Career politician have ruined our system of government, molding it to keep themselves and their party in power is their priority and not the good of the country.

I wish there were an "American" political party. Why does a politician have to identify as either "Democrat" or "Republican"...and then be forced to vote in lockstep with what the party leaders dictate? Look at the results of some of the votes recently taken in Congress...100% of the Democrats vote one way and 100% of the Republicans vote another. These people don't dare think for themselves because if they deviate from the party line their political career is over. We need people in office that put America first, not their political party.

And yes, journalism is dead. Even our local stations spend half their local broadcasts repeating what was just reported on by a national news source - without questioning the veracity of the story. One news item that irks me every evening is a report that the United States is leading the world per capita in coronavirus deaths. How do they know that? How do they know how many people have died in China? In North Korea? In Russia? In Zimbabwe? Do they really take the reports from those governments as gospel truth?

Worshipper of sun and wild country.
Re: MREs, Just in Case [Re: peejman] #150038 01/16/21 07:29 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

..Az.... you're not gonna like this, but it might help if you dial back the condescending tone and labels a smidge and attempt to have a conversation.

Imlost... while I am sad and despondent about the current state of our democracy, I absolutely haven't given up hope.....

Thanks Peejman. I don't disagree. I do need to "dial back" more than a bit. Constructive dialog is much preferred, and I'll do my best to switch gears in that regard.

I especially appreciated Imlost's latest post. Revealing more of his background and how he came to the political views he holds has been enlightening. To be honest I think if we had the time and means to meet around a table somewhere, with our XT's parked outside, and share in depth with each other, we'd likely find we've effectively bridged many of the 'gulfs' that appear at times to separate us. Face to face is so much better than sharing across a keyboard. We all know that, and not having such an opportunity makes things more difficult than they need be.

I really enjoyed Muniac's latest post as well. We're fortunate to have Scott as our site administrator. His evenhanded approach to things is refreshing, worthy of emulation by all of us. For my part I'll work at doing just that..

The voyage of discovery that truly matters is not in seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes.
Re: MREs, Just in Case [Re: Deserteagle56] #150039 01/16/21 08:16 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Deserteagle56
.....I wish there were an "American" political party. Why does a politician have to identify as either "Democrat" or "Republican"...and then be forced to vote in lockstep with what the party leaders dictate? Look at the results of some of the votes recently taken in Congress...100% of the Democrats vote one way and 100% of the Republicans vote another. These people don't dare think for themselves because if they deviate from the party line their political career is over. We need people in office that put America first, not their political party..

I couldn't agree more, DE. We should have a politically independent "American Party", a movement to effectively counter the "lockstep" directions that Democrats and Republicans have reverted to in pushing their leadership's political agendas to the forefront. Enough of the "my way or the highway" crap that American politics have devolved to. These two parties, as they're configured right now, do nothing to unite the nation. Instead they alienate large sections of the population as they spread fear and hostility in their wake. No idea how we'll get there, but hopefully we'll find a way out of this 'endlessly frustrating loop' that our two party system has become, not only with us here in the States but with friends and trading partners overseas as well..

The voyage of discovery that truly matters is not in seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes.
Re: MREs, Just in Case [Re: Muniac] #150040 01/16/21 09:29 PM
Muniac Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
This continues to be a discussion thread we can all be proud of. I just sweep the floors, find ways to keep this site free, update the software and make sure the board runs for all who enjoy it. I'm not terribly knowledgeable with bikes but have done enough repairs to be dangerous. I share what I know. Off label posting adds to the site's value and I'll jump in with my 5 Lbs of ham in a 2 Lb bag. Kind words always appreciated but not necessary. Thanks.

To all who posted - I generally agree with your thoughts to include journalism, term limits, political divisiveness and declining values. Per VDH, I believe America is a very resilient nation and will survive what's coming. I haven't lost hope either in America still retaining its common sense thinkers. We're good at solving problems and innovating. Greed is a terrible thing and has contaminated our elected leaders. They don't represent us but their own wallets. As for BIG tech and the MSM, I don't think they are acting in America's best interests. Truth and facts being essential to properly running our constitutional republic. My read is this sets us up for civil unrest. Right, wrong, smart or stupid my feeling is we're going to see plenty of this in 2021. I hope I'm dead wrong about this as nothing would please me more.

Our UPS driver is a member of the Teamsters Union as are most professional drivers. She feels all drivers may take a day or two off in protest. Conjecture? Perhaps. Reasonable? Perhaps. In NYC, the sanitation workers would go on strike with amazing effectiveness. Not protesting politics but a full on strike for wage increases. Large organized groups can snarl things up if they so choose. We as consumers can de-platform markets simply by changing the direction of our wallets. As for truckers not driving, this can be seen as counter productive for their wages. Especially independent drivers. A few I've spoken with are ready to make that sacrifice. A few other extremists are cleaning their guns. Of concern for me is an unprecedented level of discontentment from all walks of life. Yes for different reasons, but pissed off is pissed off. When HUGE numbers of people are pissed off at leadership and/or each other things usually don't go well. It were these concerns that led me to posting my original MRE text. They still remain concerns.

Personally, I'd like to see more partisan dialog to allow people to air concerns, feelings and opinions. Offer suggestions on how we might do a better job. Maybe even promote a little education for those with open minds. Less any shouting, disrespect and insults. No one needs to "hold forth" either with my way or the highway self righteous BS. We've got some challenges ahead.

This site started as a Yamaha XT225 rider's forum. The XT250 was added later. It still remains as it was. I started the off label threads first by asking the group's permission. No one had any strong objections, just concerns about making sure things stayed civil and they have. I'm in a service capacity here and would gladly shut down anything our group felt detracted from the site's value. As for these off label threads, no one is forced to read them. The "do gooder" part in me asks whether I can and should continue the off label threads with the hopes it helps our nation somehow. I have no visions of grandeur either as our group is only a very tiny part of global population. I say global because this site is international in its scope. The bulk being American with England in 2nd place.

COVID - I agree totally there isn't any accurate data out there. America seems to have politicized the virus ahead of treating it as a medical situation. I have a business trip to Maine coming up soon. This requires me to be vaccinated, a prospect I'm not completely comfortable with. Those I've spoken with say their vaccine experience has been fine except for a couple days of being tired and a sore arm. What we're getting out here is the two shot dosing 28 days apart. The woman (we're friends) I spoke with yesterday at our fitness center said, "They can kiss my ass with the damn vaccine." I'd like to start a thread on this to get boots on the ground input as to what people think and their experience if vaccinated. It's on a lot of people's minds.

I'll leave with those thoughts for now. Per usual, feel free to post and/or author another topic.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: MREs, Just in Case [Re: Muniac] #150041 01/16/21 11:38 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I don't necessarily think term limits are the answer. Being a representative shouldn't be any different than any other job, if you're good at it and enjoy it, keep doing it. Again the problems come with money and power. Take away the big money and ridiculous benefits and they have to be genuinely motivated to stay.

If you think a 2 party system is bad, have a look at the 6 or 8 party system in the UK. But I agree that ours is far from optimal. The division and unwillingness to even come to the table has got to change.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: MREs, Just in Case [Re: peejman] #150051 01/17/21 07:18 PM
D
Deserteagle56 Offline
Member L2
Member L2
D
I don't necessarily think term limits are the answer. Being a representative shouldn't be any different than any other job, if you're good at it and enjoy it, keep doing it. Again the problems come with money and power. Take away the big money and ridiculous benefits and they have to be genuinely motivated to stay.

If you think a 2 party system is bad, have a look at the 6 or 8 party system in the UK. But I agree that ours is far from optimal. The division and unwillingness to even come to the table has got to change.

Didn't mean to sound like I was knocking the 2 party system. I was knocking politicians who are more loyal to their party than to their country. Be an "American" first, then a Democrat or a Republican or whatever.

Worshipper of sun and wild country.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 46 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,162
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 4,799
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 3,665
kris 2,366
Paul49 1,920
JerryH 1,768
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics