Rate Thread
Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18
Re: To old to ride? [Re: Bris] #148251 06/17/20 05:38 PM
S
skypupbob Offline
Member L1
Member L1
S
Kenny, one of my favorite short rides is up La Contenta road to Eureka peak. Seems like it is mostly sandy at the bottom and a good place to practice sand riding.
I go to Joshua tree every February to visit my sister in law, maybe next year we can meet and do some riding ?

Re: To old to ride? [Re: skypupbob] #148254 06/17/20 11:26 PM
K
Kenny4 Offline
K
Originally Posted by skypupbob
Kenny, one of my favorite short rides is up La Contenta road to Eureka peak. Seems like it is mostly sandy at the bottom and a good place to practice sand riding.
I go to Joshua tree every February to visit my sister in law, maybe next year we can meet and do some riding ?

The sand on that road now is very deep for about a mile. But worse then that, the park has allowed a tourist outfit to run many trips per day in multi seated Hummers and they have made the entire road all the way to Eureka deep washboard. It's just miserable to drive on. I don't even take my quad on it as it just shakes the poo out of it. What's worse is that I own a private piece of property way up in there and haven't been visiting it because of the miserable washboarding.

Re: To old to ride? [Re: Kenny4] #148266 06/19/20 01:54 AM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Kenny4
Originally Posted by skypupbob

The sand on that road now is very deep for about a mile. But worse then that, the park has allowed a tourist outfit to run many trips per day in multi seated Hummers and they have made the entire road all the way to Eureka deep washboard. It's just miserable to drive on. I don't even take my quad on it as it just shakes the poo out of it. What's worse is that I own a private piece of property way up in there and haven't been visiting it because of the miserable washboarding.

Nothing worse than deep washboard combined with heavy sand. Sorry to hear that getting to your property up that way has been turned into a terribly unpleasant experience. Saw a lot of that same thing years ago down around Rocky Point in Mexico on the Gulf of California. Vehicle wrecking washboard with deep sand all the way out to the beach. Not fun at all..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: To old to ride? [Re: Bris] #148551 07/29/20 09:15 AM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
After several months of medical issues I finally got the XT running again and went for a ride (it's so hot here you have to ride at night) I had drained the carburetor, but the Clarke fuel tank was about half full of what used to be gas. I removed the tank and poured it out. I almost got sick from the smell of the stuff. I got some E85, filled the tank to the top, let it soak for a week, then poured it out. I then washed it out with dish detergent and water, rinsed it good with water, poured that out, then poured a couple of gallons of distilled water in it, sloshed it around to get rid of the calcium chloride in the faucet water around here, and poured that out. After letting it dry thoroughly, I reinstalled the tank and filled it up with gas. I removed the plug, poured in a little Marvel Mystery Oil, let it soak overnight, and it eventually fired up, smoked a bit, and settled into a nice idle. After it warmed up a bit, I revved it up and it did not sputter or hesitate, so I think the carb is ok. I aired up the tires, and rode it about 20 miles. It seems ok. I'm going to replace the spark plug, chain, and rear tire. I have a new 5 year old tire that has been kept under the bed, it seems to be in perfect condition. I will probably not be able to replace the tire myself, since that requires getting down on your knees. There is a place in Mesa called Steve's Cycle that will install a tire for a really decent price. No off road riding (or rather dirt road riding) until summer is over. Just too hot. Don't want to ride on dirt roads in the middle of nowhere at night. But I will drain the gas out of it once a month, pour it in my car, and put fresh gas in it. I'm actually surprised the ethanol didn't destroy the plastic tank. I hope the petcock will be ok. I removed it and flushed it with WD-40, then put some light oil in it and let it soak overnight to hopefully soften up the rubber seals in it. It was stored in the shed in my back yard, and is/was covered in cobwebs. Hopefully I will ride it at least once a week, close to home.

The above is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
1994/2001 custom built XT225 with a ton of aftermarket parts.

Re: To old to ride? [Re: Bris] #148552 07/29/20 09:19 AM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
After several months of medical issues I finally got the XT running again and went for a ride (it's so hot here you have to ride at night) I had drained the carburetor, but the Clarke fuel tank was about half full of what used to be gas. I removed the tank and poured it out. I almost got sick from the smell of the stuff. I got some E85, filled the tank to the top, let it soak for a week, then poured it out. I then washed it out with dish detergent and water, rinsed it good with water, poured that out, then poured a couple of gallons of distilled water in it, sloshed it around to get rid of the calcium chloride in the faucet water around here, and poured that out. After letting it dry thoroughly, I reinstalled the tank and filled it up with gas. I removed the plug, poured in a little Marvel Mystery Oil, let it soak overnight, and it eventually fired up, smoked a bit, and settled into a nice idle. After it warmed up a bit, I revved it up and it did not sputter or hesitate, so I think the carb is ok. I aired up the tires, and rode it about 20 miles. It seems ok. I'm going to replace the spark plug, chain, and rear tire. I have a new 5 year old tire that has been kept under the bed, it seems to be in perfect condition. I will probably not be able to replace the tire myself, since that requires getting down on your knees. There is a place in Mesa called Steve's Cycle that will install a tire for a really decent price. No off road riding (or rather dirt road riding) until summer is over. Just too hot. Don't want to ride on dirt roads in the middle of nowhere at night. But I will drain the gas out of it once a month, pour it in my car, and put fresh gas in it. I'm actually surprised the ethanol didn't destroy the plastic tank. I hope the petcock will be ok. I removed it and flushed it with WD-40, then put some light oil in it and let it soak overnight to hopefully soften up the rubber seals in it. It was stored in the shed in my back yard, and is/was covered in cobwebs. Hopefully I will ride it at least once a week, close to home.

Re: To old to ride? [Re: Bris] #149437 11/29/20 04:15 AM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Bris
.....The front of the bike started sliding and I knew if I tried to correct on the road I was going down. I decided to go off the road into the grass. What I didn't know was going off the road put me on a 45 degree hill heading down. It was "hidden" by the tall grass but readily apparent as the bike tipped over and I went flying off. The right side of my rib cage let me know when I landed on hard ground. Let me tell you, the XT is not so light when trying to right if from that angle while standing on a slope. Took me about 30 minutes to get it upright..

Things often 'sneak up on you' when riding rough unfamiliar country. Suddenly, like Bris, you may find yourself going one way while the bike goes the other.

Bris' post detailing a surprise 'get-off' he found himself involved in on his XT, and the aftermath of that as he slowly recovered from his experience, is a reminder to every rider who ventures off-road in unfamiliar areas that scouting the trail ahead before getting too deep into a situation you really should have thought twice about is always the smart thing to do.

Originally Posted by Bris
..Anyway, after two weeks I still can feel rib pain at times. Wake up with discomfort. You don't heal as fast at age 62 compared with the younger years. Maybe it's time to sell the bike?..

When Bris started this thread in 2013 he asked if being past age 60 meant it was time to sell the bike and back away from further 2 wheel adventuring. Muniac rightly reminded him that such a decision was his alone to make.

Bris posted another few times, then in May 8, 2014 his last post said that after recovering from his off-road crash he had decided to reconfigure his bike as a street machine. After that post he disappeared from the site.

Reading about his off-road crash and thinking about the question of age he ended his post with, I found Muniac's follow up very much to the point..

Originally Posted by Muniac
..Bris - Sorry to hear about your debacle. I can't advise you on selling your bike as that's a personal decision. Each of us needs to evaluate our own risks and rewards. That to include the mental side of coming back from injuries. Fold or hold as it were.

Crashes and lay downs are part of motorcycle riding. All of us that ride roads/trails which present irregular and uncertain conditions face these risks. Throw in steep too.

Poor judgment, lack of skill, inexperience, too much bike and too much throttle become the most common explanations for crashes. As for rib cage injuries a motocross shell helps to a degree. Did you have one on? There are many good pieces of safety gear that might help de-rate an injury. Having a front tire wash out and going off an edge usually means too much speed for available traction. Were you going too fast for the terrain conditions?

I had a similar situation back in Aridzona. I came peeling around a sharp bend on loose granular conditions and washed out. I went off a 45 degree embankment, through a bunch of manzanita, over some rocks and ended up in a ditch. Rubber side down thankfully. A couple of guys came along so between them, Jeannie and me we all got the bike back up on the road. A stupid stunt on my part and a good lesson learned. I've since practiced these turns and learned how better to manage the conditions. One piece of advice I give myself is slow the hell down!!.....

Lots to digest when thinking about these things. None of us who've ridden for some time can say we've escaped unscathed from every situation. For me at least, Muniac's "slow the hell down" is advice I've ridden with since crashing my BSA back in the late '50s.

I'm well past 62 now, the age Bris asked about, actually past 81. I still ride, and I'm super cautious about when and where I ride. Don't do really rough off-road any more. Value my health and well being too much to jeopardize it by being overly confidant at this stage of the game.

In answer to Bris' question about what age is "too old to ride?", I simply say "slow the hell down", take a deep breath, and make that decision based on what you see as best for you.

Riding can be a joy, but life and health and well being is likewise a joy - especially when we slow down and take time to 'smell the roses'!..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: To old to ride? [Re: Bris] #149455 12/01/20 04:36 AM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
Sorry about the double post. Age is not the only issue that can affect riding ability. I'm 61, but have a lot of medical issues, most of them orthopedic. I have arthritis, all my joints are bad, I have back problems, also soft tissue issues like muscles, tendons, ligaments, cartilage, etc. All of this causes a loss of mobility and a lot of pain. I have done quite a bit of riding during the past month, when it finally cooled off a bit. But most of it was on the street, on a cruiser type motorcycle. I have a Kawasaki Vulcan 750 and a Harley Sportster 1200. I have put a couple hundred mostly dirt road miles on the XT, but I'm afraid to get too far away from civilization. There is a guy in his mid 70s on advrider.com who rode from Iowa to Prudhoe Bay, AK and back BY HIMSELF last summer on a Suzuki VStrom 650. He made it just fine. Getting to Prudhoe Bay means riding the Dalton Highway, and there are guys in their 20s that probably couldn't do that. I wish I had made that trip when I was younger and in much better condition. To late now.

I have no plans to give up riding, though I may have to give up off road riding. If I get to where I can't ride on 2 wheels anymore, I plan to make a trike out of the Sportster. I have been riding since age 8. It's been my main form of recreation my entire life. And living where I do (Phoenix, AZ, where it exceeds 115 degrees most of the summer) I'm already limited to riding about 5 months a year. For the near future, I'm hoping to trade my car for a van, get a rail type bike trailer, and haul a bike up north in the summer to get out of the heat. That is if the restrictions due to this stupid virus ever end.

Re: To old to ride? [Re: JerryH] #149462 12/01/20 02:48 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JerryH
...Age is not the only issue that can affect riding ability. I'm 61, but have a lot of medical issues, most of them orthopedic..... I have no plans to give up riding, though I may have to give up off road riding.... For the near future, I'm hoping to trade my car for a van, get a rail type bike trailer, and haul a bike up north in the summer to get out of the heat. That is if the restrictions due to this stupid virus ever end..

The invite to meet for coffee and conversation here in Heber/Overgaard still stands, Jerry. When Valley temps drive you indoors to survive the summer heat, that's the perfect time to pack up and head north to the high country! Summers up here on the Mogollon Rim in the White Mountains are delightful compared to down in the desert. So don't be a stranger - and don't worry about travel 'restrictions' related to Covid, there aren't any, at least not up here..

Re: To old to ride? [Re: Bris] #149465 12/01/20 09:33 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
George - Thanks for the kind words about my old post. Just one person's take on the riding experience. If it helps and provides some insight then mission accomplished.

Age creeps up on all of us. I've taken my life in decades just to make things easy to understand. Getting through each decade is a challenge for different reasons. My late Mother remarked that her 50s were the best decade of her life. That being still in good health, youthful and enough acquired wisdom/experience to sort things out. At 65, I'd look back and agree with her assessment. As for health and functional issues the later decades have presented unique challenges. Decades are linear on the calendar but not so with how we age and what's lost. Jeannie and I have worked hard at staying healthy and so far so good. Other than minor annoyances that come with the territory of getting older.

I admire anyone that has a deep life long love of an activity. And still able to partake and enjoy it later in life. Even if it's scaled back that doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable and satisfying. People that play chess or the piano have less physical demands than those riding a dirt bike. A lot less risk of injury too. If your calling has been power sports, outdoor adventures and speed age creeps up faster than those engaging in stationary avocations. None of us older folks bounce off the ground as well as we used to either. For some of us, a bounce of the ground could mean the end of the line. Makes you think twice about risks and rewards. A personal line we all choose where best to draw. But consider yourself lucky to at least have that choice and the pencil needed to draw. My long term friend and MTB partner checked out at 53. Felt sick on Friday, was hospitalized and diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Was dead by Sunday gone now about 10 years. None of us new he'd be gone in 3 years when we went riding together.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Riding at Ray's MTB indoor MTB park in Cleveland, OH March 2007.

Jeannie hit 62 this past Nov 22nd and we crossed 48 years together. Neither one of us do as much as we used to. Probably more of just not feeling like it rather than age restrictions. Simplicity, easy access and less equipment works better for us now.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Jeannie riding a teeter totter. Younger and more confident.

We hike and walk 4 miles everyday. Our place includes a trail which is accessible right out the front door. Daily exercise is important and eating well is even more important. We still back country ski when the snow is good. The San Juan Mountains are 30 minutes away and offer about 10K square miles of terrain for dirt biking, 4WD, MTB, hiking, climbing, scrambling, slack lining, ice climbing and skiing. Runs all year long and has every level from stupid easy to insane. Getting outdoors is a requirement for us and that's why we live here. The best activities are the ones you'll do and stay with. Stay active, eat well, use the brain and enjoy. Life is precious and amazingly short so don't waste a single day. smile

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: To old to ride? [Re: Bris] #149467 12/02/20 07:56 AM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
I can barely walk a block. But a couple of times during the past month I have ridden from Chandler to Tucson and back on my Vulcan 750 cruiser on I-10 with very little pain. I wanted to go to the Pima Air and Space Museum, but I would have to have some kind of battery powered scooter to do that.

Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,615
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,064
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,153
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,112
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics