Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
"Beam me up, Scotty!.." #149409 11/24/20 10:51 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

If you're out riding in Utah's red-rock desert country, and you happen upon this, you've come face to face with a mystery of sorts.

A gleaming stainless steel monolith has been discovered in one of the most remote parts of the state. The tall, smooth structure was first located by a helicopter survey crew counting bighorn sheep in southeastern Utah. The crew spotted the gleaming object from the air on the 18th of this month, and landed to check it out. What they found was a three-sided stainless-steel monolith about as tall as two men put together. There were no available clues about who might have placed it in this remote area or why.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Utah Department of Public Safety says this is not an 'otherworldly object', but instead it is man made and took planning and specialized work to construct it and embed it in the rock. The location is so remote that officials have not publicly shared it.

The monolith's appearance is similar to the one featured in, "2001: A Space Odyssey."

It is illegal to place objects. artistic or otherwise, on federal lands without authorization. Bureau of Land Management officials are investigating to determine how long it's been there, who might have created it and whether to remove it or leave it in place.

So, if you're out riding in Utah's red rock country and you come across this gleaming stainless steel monolith hidden in a remote canyon, there's no need to panic or look to the sky for some alien 'mother ship' ready to beam you and your XT up!..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: "Beam me up, Scotty!.." [Re: Az4x4] #149690 12/22/20 11:51 PM
F
FL.SandBandit Offline
F
Originally Posted by Az4x4

If you're out riding in Utah's red-rock desert country, and you happen upon this, you've come face to face with a mystery of sorts.

A gleaming stainless steel monolith has been discovered in one of the most remote parts of the state. The tall, smooth structure was first located by a helicopter survey crew counting bighorn sheep in southeastern Utah. The crew spotted the gleaming object from the air on the 18th of this month, and landed to check it out. What they found was a three-sided stainless-steel monolith about as tall as two men put together. There were no available clues about who might have placed it in this remote area or why.

The Utah Department of Public Safety says this is not an 'otherworldly object', but instead it is man made and took planning and specialized work to construct it and embed it in the rock. The location is so remote that officials have not publicly shared it.

The monolith's appearance is similar to the one featured in, "2001: A Space Odyssey."

It is illegal to place objects. artistic or otherwise, on federal lands without authorization. Bureau of Land Management officials are investigating to determine how long it's been there, who might have created it and whether to remove it or leave it in place.

So, if you're out riding in Utah's red rock country and you come across this gleaming stainless steel monolith hidden in a remote canyon, there's no need to panic or look to the sky for some alien 'mother ship' ready to beam you and your XT up!..

That is so strange- and one showed up here in fort pierce exactly like it at ciderworks.

Re: "Beam me up, Scotty!.." [Re: Az4x4] #149694 12/23/20 12:22 AM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Turned out no aliens were involved, just a group of people who figured they'd throw a little 'mystery and excitement' into the mix! Soon after the Utah monolith was discovered, it disappeared, taken down and transported away by parties apparently still unknown..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: "Beam me up, Scotty!.." [Re: Az4x4] #149712 12/25/20 10:54 AM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
Someone got the idea from 2001 A Space Odyssey. It is not what it appears to be. It is made of sheet metal and put together with sheet metal screws, which you can clearly see in the close up picture. I would have hung around and waited to see who came to pick it up. Maybe I should build one of those and put it in my front yard to replace the ugly blue painted fountain that is there now.

The above is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
1994/2001 custom built XT225 with a ton of aftermarket parts.

Re: "Beam me up, Scotty!.." [Re: JerryH] #149719 12/25/20 03:03 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Yeah, you can clearly see the screws in the photo that was taken closest to that 3 sided monolith. However I read it was clad in stainless steel, not sheet metal. Whoever built and installed it obviously didn't want it rusting.

I really thought someone would have set up a hidden motion activated camera to ID those who showed up there. You'd have to figure that whoever knew where it was would be back once word was out, ..at least I thought that. But apparently not.

I haven't read anything further about it, just that similar monoliths have shown up elsewhere in the world and likewise disappeared after a brief time. One of 2020's more interesting and thankfully less challenging 'mysteries'!..

Merry Christmas one and all!..

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 7 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,620
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,072
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,161
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,114
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics