Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Never say NEVER.. [Re: Az4x4] #149358 11/21/20 03:02 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Front will go a lot easier. If you go the valve stem in rim first, remember to tuck the tube all the way around and inside the tire. As you pry to tire back on make sure the tube sits away from the beads to avoid pinching it. This is generally easy to do. I've also had brand new tubes leak at the valve stem base. And come with loose valve cores.

Leaving some lubricant on the rim/bead interface will help the tire center on the rim quick. I usually bounce the tire off the floor to equalize the seating. A couple of rides usually accomplished the same thing. Remember to check the rim tape. 3M Super 88 vinyl electrical tape makes a good repair.

We've had a mild Fall so far this season. It we don't get our snow pack, that means low reservoirs and a dry Summer. Every winter here has been different. Enjoy the bike and ride safely.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Never say NEVER.. [Re: Az4x4] #149359 11/21/20 03:25 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My technique is similar to Muniac's. Leaving tires out in the sun helps a lot. Lots of lube and patience to work your way around the rim. Seems like 3 hands would make it a lot easier. Getting the rear bead locker in/out can be a pain. I also install one bead of the new tire, then put the tube and bead lock in, lots of lube, and the second bead. I also put in a little air to get the tube to sort itself, then deflate and make sure its straight before seating the bead.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: Never say NEVER.. [Re: peejman] #149360 11/21/20 04:40 PM
Az4x4 Online Content OP
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member

Damn!.. I could not figure out how to get the bead lock in place. Worked on it till my frustration level got the best of me, then I put the tire and tube together without a bead lock - something I've done in the distant past. Now, given Peejman's description, I'm thinking I need to retrace my steps. If the bead lock is ESSENTIAL to the tire's performance it needs to be in place, no matter how tough it may be to get it installed..

The voyage of discovery that truly matters is not in seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes.
Re: Never say NEVER.. [Re: Az4x4] #149361 11/21/20 05:36 PM
O
onceona50 Offline
Member L3
Member L3
O
Had Cycle Gear replace my OE Trail Wings with Dunlop 605's. Over a 1,000 miles on them now. They feel and perform the same to me. Have fun.

2018 XT250 New 06/12/18. Now at 8,100 miles.
Re: Never say NEVER.. [Re: peejman] #149363 11/22/20 12:27 AM
Az4x4 Online Content OP
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by peejman
.....Getting the rear bead locker in/out can be a pain...

That's true...

Decided to take another whack at installing the bead locker today. Used my old 'QuickStand' instead of yesterday's milk crate to keep the wheel up in the air.
[Linked Image from i282.photobucket.com]
It worked great, a LOT easier than lifting the bike onto the milk crate. Almost forgot I still had that simple DIY tool!..

Originally Posted by peejman
...install one bead of the new tire, then put the tube and bead lock in, lots of lube, and the second bead....

When Peejman describes it the steps 'sound simple' enough.. In actual practice it wasn't at all simple, at least for me. I failed miserably to turn those simple sounding steps into something that worked when I tried it..

Broke the tire beads with a couple of large 'C' clamps, then removed the valve core from the tube letting the air out and levered one bead off the rim. With the bead lock in hand and 'very little room to work in', once again I tried every way I could think of to fit that bead lock under the tube and into the tiny space available. Came close a time or two - at least I think I did just going by feel - but in the end, like yesterday, I finally called it quits and put the tire and tube back together without a bead lock in place.

One thing I did while putting the tire and tube back together was use Muniac's WD-40 lube everything trick. That worked great!

Had I been successful installing the bead lock I would have hit it outa' the park today. At least digging out the old 'QuickStand' (click the above link for a more complete look at what this tool is) plus the WD-40 lube trick made the day a semi-success in my book!..

The voyage of discovery that truly matters is not in seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes.
Re: Never say NEVER.. [Re: Az4x4] #149364 11/22/20 01:41 AM
O
onceona50 Offline
Member L3
Member L3
O
I use a floor jack to raise the bike, never thought about using a crutch.

Last edited by onceona50; 11/22/20 01:41 AM.

2018 XT250 New 06/12/18. Now at 8,100 miles.
Re: Never say NEVER.. [Re: Az4x4] #149366 11/22/20 02:40 PM
Az4x4 Online Content OP
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member

Heck yeah! An old aluminum crutch and a minute or two with a hacksaw, and you have a 'QuickStand' - one of handiest DIY tools you'll ever have for lifting your bike to work on it no matter where you happen to be.

Floor jacks, motorcycle jacks, milk crates aside, the 'QuickStand' collapses and extends to whatever length you need it to be. As strong and light weight as it is, adding one to your tool kit is a smart move no matter how you look at it!

Now that I've dug the old 'QuickStand' out of storage it'll be on my bench and in my tool kit from now on. To use it simply turn your front wheel hard right, push the bike up on its Kick Stand so the appropriate wheel is lifted, place the 'QuickStand' where you need it to keep either the rear or front wheel 'up', and you're 'good to go'!

With the rear wheel 'up' you might want to Velcro the front brake lever 'on'. With the front wheel 'up' put the bike in gear and it won't move..

Re: Never say NEVER.. [Re: Az4x4] #149373 11/22/20 05:55 PM
Az4x4 Online Content OP
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member

Here's a shot from yesterday showing the rear wheel off the ground with the QuickStand in place. With the front brake locked, the kick stand combined with the QuickStand provide all the clearance needed to remove and replace the rear wheel. Works the same for the front wheel as well. Just change your lift point (as shown on the page linked earlier) and it's off the ground ready to be worked on..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Re: Never say NEVER.. [Re: Az4x4] #149375 11/22/20 07:40 PM
Az4x4 Online Content OP
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member

Found this short 'How To' video showing a neat trick for installing rim locks. Not ready just yet to pull my rear tire and go at it a third time, but with this trick in hand when we have another warm day and I tackle that chore again, I think I'll be successful - hope so anyway..

Re: Never say NEVER.. [Re: Az4x4] #149377 11/22/20 08:10 PM
A
Aguaski Offline
A
Good to see you back on a XT225. I used this video to guide me when I did a recent tire change. I am not a profane person, but I have to admit when I am changing tires there are a bunch of bad words bouncing around inside my head. Luckily none of those words escaped into open air during my most recent tire change, but that job gets me as close as anything to swearing. I am fortunate to have never had a flat on the trail. In my garage I have significantly longer tire irons that offer better leverage than any tire iron I would consider for an onboard kit. At home I also have access to a variety of lubes that make the job easier. I think if I ever have a flat on the trail I will go the zip tie route and limp home. I can’t see myself doing a tire repair on the trail.

https://youtu.be/DqiSV4WZb-c

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 56 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,121
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 4,687
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 3,583
kris 2,366
Paul49 1,887
Doc250 1,643
JerryH 1,603
Forum Statistics