As most of us are aware, the online search market unfortunately is completely locked down. I’m a 'DuckDuckGo' guy in my attempts to bypass 'Google' and its all too invasive reach. But 'DDG' is simply a frontend for Microsoft's 'Bing' search engine, and unfortunately it shows.

Except for 'DDG' or vanilla 'Bing', the only other search option we have is 'Google'. We can either accept 'Google’s filter bubble', including the search bias it forces on us, or go with 'DDG's' version of 'Bing', complete with its often laughable results and sometimes nutty conspiracy theory driven searches.

Terrible choices, I know. But it's either that or we simply don't go online to search for stuff anymore -- which in this day and age isn't something any of us can easily do.

So, what do you think about the search options we have these days? Are they 'good enough' as is, or do you feel we're being 'shortchanged' by what these search engines and their biased filter bubbles allow us to see, in effect directing us to favored products, vendors and ideas at the expense of providing the sort of unfiltered information we need to make our own decisions?

The U.S. government’s biggest antitrust case in two decades, filed just recently against Google, touches on the alliance of Google and Apple as a prime example of what prosecutors say are Google’s illegal tactics to protect its search monopoly and choke off any possibility of real competition in web search - something they've done successfully for many years and only now are being challenged in the courts.

We'll see how this plays out, but for now there's no search engine user today who can say they haven't been impacted by Google's strangle hold on search.

The voyage of discovery that truly matters is not in seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes.