Rate Thread
Exploring Wildomar OHV #149163 10/22/20 05:10 PM
J
JPouchet Offline OP
Member L1
OP Offline
Member L1
J
Ok, great title and idea but wow - it was a lot of road miles getting there and back. Still we had a blast. Three of us went out last Sunday morning. Buddy on his new KTM790 Adventure R (wow, what a bike!), another on a very clean '03 DRZ400S, and me on the reliable '07 XT225.

From the OC we had to go up Ortega highway. For those not familiar with this road it is a playground for Cafe' Racers and wannabe race car drivers. We had our heads on a swivel with frequent communication over our Cardo headsets to advise when motorcycles were closing quickly so we could hold the right side and wave them by. We did hit a pull-out to let a string of Porsche, various GTs and other cars by who clearly were in a hurry.

Little did we know further up the road there would be a cameraman taking glamor shots. We saw his huge sign on the inside of one of the corners and all worked hard to remember the website URL.

Score - a pretty darn good 'glamor' shot, if there is such a thing, of me on the XT with my buddy on the KTM right behind.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Rever map of the ride - https://a.rever.co/rides/2063801

Have to say the trip was a blast. Wildomar was worth the ride.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] quite the climb up to this spot. Not long but a bit technical. 2nd gear on the XT was just fine.

The last straight coming up [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You can see there are miles of trails. Unfortunately since it is open to the public this means any yahoo with a quad and not much for brains can be coming at you around a blind corner anytime. You really have to pay attention to visual cues, dust, sand, noise, gut feelings, etc. to stay safe.

After blasting around the OHV for a while we continued on South Main Divide. Frank on the DRZ was certain it would lead do to Camp Pendleton and San Diego County. We never made it that far. Started to run out of time.

On the way back down Ortega we made a mandatory stop for coffee (Iced), sandwiches, and snacks. Great people at the Candy store with plenty of outdoor seating for the tried and sweaty adventure bike rider.

We plan to go back. Next time we will haul the bikes out to Ortega Highway a nice parking lot right across the street from the Candy Store. This will give us more time to explore. And a few more XTs should be joining us.

Fun times! JP

Adding some Adventure to my life. Orange County, CA
'07 XT225
Re: Exploring Wildomar OHV [Re: JPouchet] #149164 10/22/20 08:13 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thanks for posting your RR. Glad you all had a safe and enjoyable ride. Good idea to bring the bikes into a staging area closer to your trail space. Watching out for idiots is the new riding norm.

Here's what we're dealing with.

Black Bear Pass Accident
Black Bear Pass Video

Stay safe, healthy and enjoy!

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Exploring Wildomar OHV [Re: Muniac] #149165 10/22/20 08:34 PM
J
JPouchet Offline OP
Member L1
OP Offline
Member L1
J
@muniac - WOW! Incredible video and story. Glad no one was killed. Cold have been a lot worse.

We had a similar jeep parking on our Maple Springs a few weekends ago. Not as long of a fall. Looked more like a flip but closed down a good portion of the road.

yes, we are always looking for the unexpected. Too many videos of motorists running into, over motorcyclists.

Thanks

JP

Adding some Adventure to my life. Orange County, CA
'07 XT225
Re: Exploring Wildomar OHV [Re: Muniac] #149166 10/22/20 11:26 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Muniac
Thanks for posting your RR. Glad you all had a safe and enjoyable ride. Good idea to bring the bikes into a staging area closer to your trail space. Watching out for idiots is the new riding norm.

Black Bear Pass Accident
Black Bear Pass Video

Holy crap!!.. That sort of accident caught on camera reminds me of the high dollar Chinese off road toy being driven way too fast on the old Rim Road just south of us with four guys on board a year or two ago. It sailed off the edge of the Rim and landed upside down in a boulder field 200+ feet below, killing the driver and his three passengers. Any update on those injured in this Jeep wreck?

..FAILURE is not the opposite of SUCCESS, it's part of what makes SUCCESS..
Re: Exploring Wildomar OHV [Re: Muniac] #149170 10/23/20 04:27 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by JPouchet

We plan to go back. Next time we will haul the bikes out to Ortega Highway a nice parking lot right across the street from the Candy Store. This will give us more time to explore. And a few more XTs should be joining us.

Fun times! JP

Fun times indeed. Hours of fun in that playground.

Originally Posted by Muniac

Black Bear Pass Accident
Black Bear Pass Video

Not such fun times there. Curious what happened there, did the road give way or did the brake not hold it? Glad it didn't collect anyone else during the tumble.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: Exploring Wildomar OHV [Re: JPouchet] #149171 10/23/20 09:00 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Newpaper has a few more details. Some local chat about it too. The girl (hospitalized) is paralyzed from the waist down. Not sure if this is permanent or from swelling. The Jeep supposedly had manual transmission given the mention of an emergency brake and it rolling. It's thought the driver pulled the brake up and left the Jeep to guide another Jeep behind him. I've been through that section of shelf rock steps and it ends in a very tight turn to the left. Most vehicles need to backup to get another bite to clear the turn.

Why the girl (passenger) didn't try to stop the Jeep we don't know. Most have power brakes and she could have quickly released her belt and pressed the brake with her hand. Or pull up harder on the emergency brake. It's the usual comedy of errors which don't make for humorous theater. Black Bear Pass is one of our most difficult high country roads. As such it's on everyone's bucket list regardless of experience levels. Many drive it that have no business doing so.

This has been a tough Summer with accidents and tomfoolery going on all over the high country roads. How stupid does it get? Check out this Box Truck following a GPS route. Got to love those smart phone apps!

Search and Rescue plus county sheriffs are overloaded with dealing with this. It also threatens our high country recreational assets. The Forest Service has been known to enact land management by closure. We'll see what happens. Things are a bit quieter during the week now.

Some bad forest fires going on now. Since there has been no lightening all of these are human caused. Some involve arson. Like Bob Grant said many years ago in his AM radio program, "It's sick out there and getting sicker." Little did he know the wisdom in those words. No one listens to the warning signs, however. Be safe out there.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Exploring Wildomar OHV [Re: JPouchet] #149172 10/23/20 09:44 PM
O
onceona50 Offline
Member L4
Member L4
O
Last time I rode the Ortega Highway it was 1968 and I was on a Honda 160 Scrambler. Good memories.

2018 XT250 New 06/12/18. Now at 10,600 miles.

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,308
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 4,951
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 3,911
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,048
Paul49 2,026
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics