Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Linux Mint 20.1, code-name “Ulyssa”.. #149108 10/03/20 03:04 PM
Az4x4 Online Content OP
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member

Linux Mint 20.1, code-name “Ulyssa”, is on track for release in mid-December, shortly before Christmas. New features in Mint 20.1 will include the latest version of the open source Chromium web browser, the project Google bases its Chrome web browser on. The latest Chromium web browser along with regular Chromium updates will be available directly through the official Mint repositories. Mint's development team took note of delays between official Chromium releases and versions available in most Linux distros, and decided they would build their own Chromium releases based on upstream code along with patches from Debian and Ubuntu.

Mint 20.1 will also offer a new Web-App Manager that lets users turn a favorite website into what is essentially a standalone desktop application. Another feature set to appear in Linux Mint 20.1 will be hardware video acceleration enabled by default in the Celluloid video player. This will provide smoother, more fluid playback, better overall performance and significantly reduced CPU usage.

Mint is also considering IPTV (Internet Protocol Television) enabled by default in December's Mint 20.1 release. If you use M3U IPTV on your phone, tablet or smart TV, send Mint a note and let them know. The development team will develop an IPTV solution for general Linux desktop use as a side project if the intended audience seems small, or they may make it an official Linux Mint project if demand appears sufficient.

With these and other upgrades and improvements scheduled for December's release, Mint 20.1 is set to be a highly anticipated upgrade to the new Mint 20..

The voyage of discovery that truly matters is not in seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes.
Re: Linux Mint 20.1, code-name “Ulyssa”.. [Re: Az4x4] #149111 10/03/20 06:19 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I loaded another Dell 1501 Inspiron PC with Mint 20 Ulyana. Did the usual upgrade thereafter. My other PC still runs Mint 19.3 which I'll leave alone until I'm certain all is well with Mint 20. I bring files over on my USB WD 2 Tb Passport drive. Mint 20 is considerably slower to boot and a little slower to shut down. I usually leave my PC run 24x7. Also the small graphic windows that pop up when you mouse over tabs get garbled sometimes. FF is now V81.0 up from V66.0b on the old system. Otherwise the system seems to run fine. FF, FileZilla, Geany, Thunderbird and the Arduino IDE are my main applications. This PC is a knock around computer. The serious stuff goes on the Dell Precision M4800 (Manjaro).

I did like being able to plug my printer into the USB port, having it detected and drivers installed automatically. That was a nice change from having to install CUPS and do a manual configure. I haven't played around yet with installing a virtual PDF printer. Comes in handy for certain things. I think Mint 20 will butter the biscuit for what I'll load. I need to make allowances for running on 15 year old hardware. The Dell that I'm on now has an 80 Mb HD which gives me 20 additional Mbs of space. Never hurts.

The WiFi drivers don't work on these old Dells which is a known problem going back to Mint 17. I solved that some years ago with locating the old B43 Broadcom drivers which are stored in a b43 directory in /lib/firmware/ The boot process scans for them and does a load. Nice to have WiFi but I'm on an ethernet connection now. If the internet goes down here, I can create a WiFi hot spot with my phone. That would be an emergency BU situation. We'll see how it all performs over time.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 34 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,098
alexd 5,915
Moto Psycho 4,684
Az4x4 4,616
peejman 3,544
kris 2,366
Paul49 1,880
Doc250 1,643
JerryH 1,593
Forum Statistics