Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: hello from nyc! [Re: whatwobbly] #148998 09/13/20 08:26 PM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
I discovered that the XT carb tends to respond to jetting changes backwards to most other carbs. I did the Z1 mod, and since I figured the stock jetting was on the lean side, I upjetted both the main and pilot jets one size, and turned the pilot screw out about one turn. I immediately began having hesitation problems with it, like would be caused by lean jetting or fuel starvation. I went up one more size on the jets and the problem got worse. I found a post on another forum where someone else had the same issue, and resolved it by going back to the stock jetting. That sounded wrong, but I had nothing to lose but a little time and work, since I already had the stock jets. To my amazement, the problem cleared up and it ran just fine. Never had that happen before with any other bike. I left the airbox COMPLETELY stock. IMO, the purpose of the airbox and air filter is to keep dirt out of the engine. They are not tuning parts. I ride in the AZ desert, which is about the dustiest environment there is, and I want all the protection I can get. For me the XT has plenty of power for trail riding. I did the Z1 mod just to make it sound more like a dirt bike. I may have even lost some power by doing it, but I can't tell the difference.

The above is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
1994/2001 custom built XT225 with a ton of aftermarket parts.

Re: hello from nyc! [Re: JerryH] #149001 09/14/20 03:31 AM
W
whatwobbly Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thanks for sharing your experience, JerryH. It is very informative.

Originally Posted by JerryH
I left the airbox COMPLETELY stock. IMO, the purpose of the airbox and air filter is to keep dirt out of the engine. They are not tuning parts. I ride in the AZ desert, which is about the dustiest environment there is, and I want all the protection I can get. For me the XT has plenty of power for trail riding. I did the Z1 mod just to make it sound more like a dirt bike. I may have even lost some power by doing it, but I can't tell the difference.

I like the idea of keeping things stock, and may try to replace the snorkel which the prior owner had removed. However, doesn't the airbox affect the fuel/air mix, and therefore might be considered part of the tuning parts?

This weekend, I removed the shims from the needle and the result was fantastic. I was able to hit 50mph without bogging, however a new problem emerged. The mechanic who trued and balanced my wheels for me told me there was an issue with my front rim, but that the problem was not severe enough to cause the front wheel to wobble at the speeds an XT could achieve.

When I hit 50mph, however, my front wheel seemed a bit unsteady. I didn't have the confidence in my front end that I had with my prior XT. This week, I will try to find a deserted, smooth street with a higher speed limit so I can see if my front wheel is wobbling.

If anyone here has ever rebuilt their wheels using Sun or Excel rims, or Buchanen spokes, I would appreciate hearing about your experience. I am looking at Procycle's build-your-own Sun rim set, but I am also doing my best to convince myself the wheel doesn't need to be rebuilt yet.

Re: hello from nyc! [Re: whatwobbly] #149005 09/14/20 02:02 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The airbox can be a tuning item, depending on how restrictive it is.

The engine is just an air pump with restrictions on both ends. If you reduce the exhaust restriction you typically also must reduce the intake restriction for the pump to work efficiently. If you do both of those, you've increased the amount of air moving through the engine and must adjust the amount of fuel accordingly.

What is the problem with your front wheel? It might be fixable. This guy does good work... http://www.framestraightsystem.com/MotorcycleWheelRepair.htm

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: hello from nyc! [Re: peejman] #149008 09/14/20 05:14 PM
W
whatwobbly Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by peejman
What is the problem with your front wheel? It might be fixable. This guy does good work... http://www.framestraightsystem.com/MotorcycleWheelRepair.htm

Thank you for providing that link, I will look into those services. Depending on the cost of service and shipping, it may be more economical for me to purchase the new rim and spokes via procycle and then relace the wheel myself.

I was told the problem with the front wheel had to do with the rim, and that the wheel could not be fully trued as a result. The mechanic said it would not affect how the front wheel handled at speed, stating specifically that the XT would not be able to achieve the speeds necessary for the rim damage to cause wobble. However, I suspect otherwise.

Currently, I am continuing to ride it around and look for opportunities to test out how it handles. Because I am located in NYC, it is difficult to test the speed wobble--it is not something I would like to test out on NYC highways. Every other street in NYC (other than a select few) are 25mph. The few times that I managed to get the bike to reach 50, it was on the same stretch, so the wobble might just be poor street conditions. Once I am able to ride on more streets at that speed (which are either city highways, or streets out in the suburbs), I can collect more "data" on how the wheel is performing.

Re: hello from nyc! [Re: whatwobbly] #149009 09/14/20 06:15 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
If not mentioned, Buchanan Spokes is another source for spoke kits. Excel rims are always good quality. I know several here have done wheel builds using Buchanan products with good results. Buchanan doesn't sell hubs. They offer prepacked kits and made to order kits. I'd be very surprised if they don't have an XT225 front wheel kit with spokes and rim. Best of contact them for pricing and availability. Good luck.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: hello from nyc! [Re: whatwobbly] #149010 09/14/20 06:44 PM
W
whatwobbly Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thanks, Muniac. I am thinking of going with this kit from ProCycle. Buchanen's website states that they are the manufacturer for Sun rims, and ProCycle uses Buchanen spokes.

For a black rim to match the 2005 xt225, as well as the Buchanen spokes, the kit from ProCycle would run me about $377. I would then need to use my current hub and relace the wheel myself.

Re: hello from nyc! [Re: whatwobbly] #149013 09/15/20 01:32 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
There are several things that can cause front end wobble... uneven tire wear being the most common. You should also check the alignment of the rear wheel, which can cause strange behavior if it's crooked, and make sure the steering head bearings aren't in need of adjustment.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: hello from nyc! [Re: whatwobbly] #149014 09/15/20 05:16 PM
W
whatwobbly Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thanks, peejman. The tires are brand new Shinko 705 (front and rear) with less than 150 miles on them. I will double check the chain/rear wheel alignment, but I have not checked the steering head bearings. Considering the condition of the other bearings/pivot points on the bike, I would not be surprised to find out the steering head bearings may need adjustment.

When you say adjustment, do you mean anything specific as referenced in the owner's manual, or just a general cleaning and repacking?

Re: hello from nyc! [Re: whatwobbly] #149015 09/15/20 06:19 PM
P
ptxyz Offline
P
my $.02 on front end wobbles, as my klr650 taught me...

steering head bearings should be just tight enough that the suspended front end will just "flop" to either side. you shouldn't be able to feel any play in the wheel.

the main reason for my wobble however was incorrect suspension sag. you, geared up on the bike should take about 1/3 of total travel. in my case, i needed a bit more sag up front and bit of tightening of the bearings.

having gotten those things dialed in, i can comfortably push that pig up to mid 90's on the freeways and even change lanes over pavement seams!

Re: hello from nyc! [Re: ptxyz] #149017 09/15/20 08:23 PM
W
whatwobbly Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by ptxyz
the main reason for my wobble however was incorrect suspension sag.

Would this apply to both front and rear sag? Adjusting my rear suspension is on my to-do list. As for the front end, I was told by the previous owner that the front springs were upgraded, but they did not provide me with the spring rate. I assume the upgraded springs are either Cogent or Race Tech.

I do not know if they changed anything about the stock oil weight or the spacers. I am hoping to handle the issue with front end handling without really popping open the forks yet, although I will need to do the seals and oil at one point anyway.

How does one adjust the front end sag on an XT225? I thought it could not be adjusted, other than by some combination of changing the springs, spacers, oil weight, or by adding some kind of emulator.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 16 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,615
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,064
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,153
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,112
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics