Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
Re: To old to ride? [Re: Bris] #148251 06/17/20 05:38 PM
S
skypupbob Offline
S
Kenny, one of my favorite short rides is up La Contenta road to Eureka peak. Seems like it is mostly sandy at the bottom and a good place to practice sand riding.
I go to Joshua tree every February to visit my sister in law, maybe next year we can meet and do some riding ?

Re: To old to ride? [Re: skypupbob] #148254 06/17/20 11:26 PM
K
Kenny4 Offline
K
Originally Posted by skypupbob
Kenny, one of my favorite short rides is up La Contenta road to Eureka peak. Seems like it is mostly sandy at the bottom and a good place to practice sand riding.
I go to Joshua tree every February to visit my sister in law, maybe next year we can meet and do some riding ?

The sand on that road now is very deep for about a mile. But worse then that, the park has allowed a tourist outfit to run many trips per day in multi seated Hummers and they have made the entire road all the way to Eureka deep washboard. It's just miserable to drive on. I don't even take my quad on it as it just shakes the poo out of it. What's worse is that I own a private piece of property way up in there and haven't been visiting it because of the miserable washboarding.

Re: To old to ride? [Re: Kenny4] #148266 06/19/20 01:54 AM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Kenny4
Originally Posted by skypupbob

The sand on that road now is very deep for about a mile. But worse then that, the park has allowed a tourist outfit to run many trips per day in multi seated Hummers and they have made the entire road all the way to Eureka deep washboard. It's just miserable to drive on. I don't even take my quad on it as it just shakes the poo out of it. What's worse is that I own a private piece of property way up in there and haven't been visiting it because of the miserable washboarding.

Nothing worse than deep washboard combined with heavy sand. Sorry to hear that getting to your property up that way has been turned into a terribly unpleasant experience. Saw a lot of that same thing years ago down around Rocky Point in Mexico on the Gulf of California. Vehicle wrecking washboard with deep sand all the way out to the beach. Not fun at all..

The voyage of discovery that truly matters is not in seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes.
Re: To old to ride? [Re: Bris] #148551 07/29/20 09:15 AM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
After several months of medical issues I finally got the XT running again and went for a ride (it's so hot here you have to ride at night) I had drained the carburetor, but the Clarke fuel tank was about half full of what used to be gas. I removed the tank and poured it out. I almost got sick from the smell of the stuff. I got some E85, filled the tank to the top, let it soak for a week, then poured it out. I then washed it out with dish detergent and water, rinsed it good with water, poured that out, then poured a couple of gallons of distilled water in it, sloshed it around to get rid of the calcium chloride in the faucet water around here, and poured that out. After letting it dry thoroughly, I reinstalled the tank and filled it up with gas. I removed the plug, poured in a little Marvel Mystery Oil, let it soak overnight, and it eventually fired up, smoked a bit, and settled into a nice idle. After it warmed up a bit, I revved it up and it did not sputter or hesitate, so I think the carb is ok. I aired up the tires, and rode it about 20 miles. It seems ok. I'm going to replace the spark plug, chain, and rear tire. I have a new 5 year old tire that has been kept under the bed, it seems to be in perfect condition. I will probably not be able to replace the tire myself, since that requires getting down on your knees. There is a place in Mesa called Steve's Cycle that will install a tire for a really decent price. No off road riding (or rather dirt road riding) until summer is over. Just too hot. Don't want to ride on dirt roads in the middle of nowhere at night. But I will drain the gas out of it once a month, pour it in my car, and put fresh gas in it. I'm actually surprised the ethanol didn't destroy the plastic tank. I hope the petcock will be ok. I removed it and flushed it with WD-40, then put some light oil in it and let it soak overnight to hopefully soften up the rubber seals in it. It was stored in the shed in my back yard, and is/was covered in cobwebs. Hopefully I will ride it at least once a week, close to home.

The above is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
1994/2001 custom built XT225 with a ton of aftermarket parts.

Re: To old to ride? [Re: Bris] #148552 07/29/20 09:19 AM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
After several months of medical issues I finally got the XT running again and went for a ride (it's so hot here you have to ride at night) I had drained the carburetor, but the Clarke fuel tank was about half full of what used to be gas. I removed the tank and poured it out. I almost got sick from the smell of the stuff. I got some E85, filled the tank to the top, let it soak for a week, then poured it out. I then washed it out with dish detergent and water, rinsed it good with water, poured that out, then poured a couple of gallons of distilled water in it, sloshed it around to get rid of the calcium chloride in the faucet water around here, and poured that out. After letting it dry thoroughly, I reinstalled the tank and filled it up with gas. I removed the plug, poured in a little Marvel Mystery Oil, let it soak overnight, and it eventually fired up, smoked a bit, and settled into a nice idle. After it warmed up a bit, I revved it up and it did not sputter or hesitate, so I think the carb is ok. I aired up the tires, and rode it about 20 miles. It seems ok. I'm going to replace the spark plug, chain, and rear tire. I have a new 5 year old tire that has been kept under the bed, it seems to be in perfect condition. I will probably not be able to replace the tire myself, since that requires getting down on your knees. There is a place in Mesa called Steve's Cycle that will install a tire for a really decent price. No off road riding (or rather dirt road riding) until summer is over. Just too hot. Don't want to ride on dirt roads in the middle of nowhere at night. But I will drain the gas out of it once a month, pour it in my car, and put fresh gas in it. I'm actually surprised the ethanol didn't destroy the plastic tank. I hope the petcock will be ok. I removed it and flushed it with WD-40, then put some light oil in it and let it soak overnight to hopefully soften up the rubber seals in it. It was stored in the shed in my back yard, and is/was covered in cobwebs. Hopefully I will ride it at least once a week, close to home.

The above is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
1994/2001 custom built XT225 with a ton of aftermarket parts.

Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 23 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,042
alexd 5,915
Moto Psycho 4,684
Az4x4 4,573
peejman 3,489
kris 2,366
Paul49 1,873
Doc250 1,643
JerryH 1,581
Forum Statistics