Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: DMO Specialties [Re: Kenny4] #148973 09/11/20 08:45 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Adjusting via a spline tooth is fine with the cautions about lever arm you point out. The only words of caution about the turn buckle adjustment is make sure you have enough threads engaged for strength. It's also a good idea to sync the left and right threads so they run in/out equally.

As for shifting technique, it's the up shifting that requires getting under the lever. I always used the soul top of my motocross boot to pull up on the shifter. Enough of it stuck out beyond the boot to catch the lever. You'll not want that lever to interfere with ground clearance. Another word of caution is to avoid an accidental downshift whilst standing on the pegs. The can happen if your boot hovers over the shift lever (set too high) and the bike's frame comes up. Your balance instincts are to try to remain vertical. That can cause your boot toe to downshift. Which can throw you forward abruptly. This can happen climbing hills and/or going up and over rocks.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Finishing off a sweep at Peach Valley - Olathe, CO

If you're riding steep stuff, which I usually did in 2nd gear it's easy to accidentally shift into neutral. The photo above shows the rear kicking out dirt. Barely enough traction to make the top. If you hit neutral you're done. You'll never get back into gear quick enough. This is one place I wish the bike had a few more CCs. Some of the hills in this area required 400 CCs and a paddle tire. We always picked what was within the bike and rider limitations. It's a soft fall in this terrain but a PITA getting the bike back on its feet.

Doing horseshoes in Peach Valley - Olathe, CO

The above is a lot steeper than it looks. The bike didn't have enough power to hit the top. So you do horseshoes, cresting with just enough speed to make the turn back down. The terrain here is uneven, so you can only enter so fast. The DMO pegs are a nice enhancement to the bike. Ride safely and enjoy.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: DMO Specialties [Re: Muniac] #148978 09/12/20 03:08 PM
W
Woods Walker Offline
W
Originally Posted by Muniac
Adjusting via a spline tooth is fine with the cautions about lever arm you point out. The only words of caution about the turn buckle adjustment is make sure you have enough threads engaged for strength. It's also a good idea to sync the left and right threads so they run in/out equally.

As for shifting technique, it's the up shifting that requires getting under the lever. I always used the soul top of my motocross boot to pull up on the shifter. Enough of it stuck out beyond the boot to catch the lever. You'll not want that lever to interfere with ground clearance. Another word of caution is to avoid an accidental downshift whilst standing on the pegs. The can happen if your boot hovers over the shift lever (set too high) and the bike's frame comes up. Your balance instincts are to try to remain vertical. That can cause your boot toe to downshift. Which can throw you forward abruptly. This can happen climbing hills and/or going up and over rocks.

Finishing off a sweep at Peach Valley - Olathe, CO

If you're riding steep stuff, which I usually did in 2nd gear it's easy to accidentally shift into neutral. The photo above shows the rear kicking out dirt. Barely enough traction to make the top. If you hit neutral you're done. You'll never get back into gear quick enough. This is one place I wish the bike had a few more CCs. Some of the hills in this area required 400 CCs and a paddle tire. We always picked what was within the bike and rider limitations. It's a soft fall in this terrain but a PITA getting the bike back on its feet.

Doing horseshoes in Peach Valley - Olathe, CO

The above is a lot steeper than it looks. The bike didn't have enough power to hit the top. So you do horseshoes, cresting with just enough speed to make the turn back down. The terrain here is uneven, so you can only enter so fast. The DMO pegs are a nice enhancement to the bike. Ride safely and enjoy.

As a long time Machinist I have a pretty good gut feeling when it comes to thread strength but that's no substitute for some basic calculations. So I went out and checked that "feeling " of enough thread left and found I had less than I thought. I had about 7/32 of actual thread engagement, discounting the thread lead. It appears to be a 6mm screw which is slightly bigger than a #10-24 screw so I used the approximate tensile strength of a mild steel #10-24 screw for a conservative calculation. A rule of thumb I've used over the years is 1 1/2 times the diameter (min.) of thread engagement for max strength. When I used those figures at a 3 1/2 to 1 lever ratio that the XT has I figured it should be able to conservatively withstand 150 lbs. up shift force and much more on the down shift because of the lock nuts. So a 300 lb. man accidentally standing on the shifter with half his weight. (the other half being on the opposite peg) should be no problem with even that small amount of thread engagement. And just try to exert 150 lbs. on the up shift....or 100 lbs. for that matter !

Thank you for the "heads up" on the problem with a high shifter. Once again your knowledge saves time with trial and error ! That 7/32 thread engagement put the shift lever 5/8" ABOVE the foot peg so don't want to go that far after your advise.

I sure CAN see how crazy steep those hills are in your pics. I wouldn't have thought the XT could make it as far as you did. I'm sure rider skill had something to do with it. Can see where those DMO pegs are important and expect them to be the "Bees Knees" compared to the tiny stock ones. Once again.....thank you Scott for taking the time to give these pointers along with your pics that prove you know what you are talking about !

Last edited by Woods Walker; 09/12/20 03:11 PM.
Re: DMO Specialties [Re: Muniac] #148980 09/12/20 05:13 PM
W
Woods Walker Offline
W
I know this might not be the thread to ask about safety gear and which brand/types that people like so wondering if you could start a thread about safety gear or point me to one if has already been hashed over. Since things are constantly changing......perhaps a new topic about that could be warranted. What do you think ?

Re: DMO Specialties [Re: Woods Walker] #148981 09/12/20 05:38 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Woods Walker
I know this might not be the thread to ask about safety gear and which brand/types that people like so wondering if you could start a thread about safety gear or point me to one if has already been hashed over. Since things are constantly changing......perhaps a new topic about that could be warranted. What do you think ?

Feel free to start a new thread on that topic, or any other topic you like.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,615
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,064
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,153
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,112
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics