Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How Many Lights Come On With The Ignition #148351 06/29/20 11:33 PM
K
Kenny4 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
When I turn my ignition on the headlight, both front signal lights, and the brake light all come on and stay on as running lights. The rear signals don't come on. Is this correct for all those lights to come on. My street bike only the headlight comes on as a running light. Thanks

Kenny4

Re: How Many Lights Come On With The Ignition [Re: Kenny4] #148352 06/30/20 04:47 AM
C
Craig1 Offline
C
That sounds right
Front running lights come on. (Not really the front signal lights, but the lower wattage element in the two element turn signal bulb)
The tail light comes on. (Once again, not the brake light)

Craig
Re: How Many Lights Come On With The Ignition [Re: Kenny4] #148353 06/30/20 03:02 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Yes, your lights are working properly. I think the Japanese models have rear running lights, but US models only have front running lights.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: How Many Lights Come On With The Ignition [Re: Kenny4] #148356 06/30/20 07:53 PM
K
Kenny4 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks to both of you for confirming that. Just seemed odd when my Honda is only the headlight and to have all that draw on a tiny little battery.

What LED bulbs have you found as good energy saving replacements. Not the whole housing, just the bulbs. Thanks

Kenny4

Last edited by Kenny4; 06/30/20 07:55 PM.
Re: How Many Lights Come On With The Ignition [Re: Kenny4] #148357 06/30/20 08:45 PM
S
skypupbob Offline
Member L1
Member L1
S
I have used the Super Bright Led bulbs with great results. You have to watch for polarity sensitive bulbs for turn signal use,but other than that they are a great improvement . The tail light/ brake and the instrument lights are a whole bunch brighter.
Check them out at superbrightleds.com

Re: How Many Lights Come On With The Ignition [Re: Kenny4] #148366 07/01/20 11:56 PM
K
Kenny4 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
What about something like this in the links. Just something for a bit less power drain, a tad better lighting and perhaps a bit cooler, ( heat wise ).. Thanks

LED Headlight Bulb

Tail Light And Signals

Kenny4

Last edited by Kenny4; 07/02/20 12:15 AM.
Re: How Many Lights Come On With The Ignition [Re: Kenny4] #148371 07/02/20 11:51 AM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My old Honda had front running lights, but turned all the lights off when the starter button was pressed. The XT doesn't do that, but it seems to work well enough.

Several folks have upgraded to an LED headlight bulb, with mostly positive results. The issue seems to be beam pattern with the LED emitters. It tends to take some fiddling to get the beam pattern reasonably uniform.

With the idea to reduce power consumption, keep in mind how the XT's electrical system works. The stator makes a fixed amount of power when the engine is running. There isn't any fancy on/off circuitry for variable output like modern car alternators have. If the bike doesn't consume that power, it's released in the form of heat through the regulator/rectifier. So if you drastically reduce the electrical load, that makes the reg/rec run that much hotter. Typically when people replace everything with LED's, the goal is to free up power for some other accessories (heated gear, GPS, etc.) so the base electrical load isn't changed significantly.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: How Many Lights Come On With The Ignition [Re: Kenny4] #148381 07/02/20 11:49 PM
K
Kenny4 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
peejman---That's interesting. Thanks for posting that info. I also have an old Honda VT1100 that also shuts off running light at start, but the headlight is the only one that comes on, not the tail or signals.

Kenny4

Re: How Many Lights Come On With The Ignition [Re: Kenny4] #148385 07/03/20 07:51 PM
K
Kenny4 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Well, I am dead wrong about the Honda. I just went out in the garage and turned on the key and for sure headlight, signals and taillight all lit, same as the XT. I have no idea why I was so insistent about that especially when I was wrong. It's mostly a garage queen and not used much and for some reason I just never remembered them working that way.

Maybe part of getting old. You younger guys, what ever you do , don't get old as it's way over rated. ( smile )

Kenny4

Re: How Many Lights Come On With The Ignition [Re: Kenny4] #148387 07/03/20 10:27 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Kenny4
.....You younger guys, what ever you do, don't get old as it's way over rated. ( smile )..Kenny4

The alternative just isn't a great option, so growing older while maintaining health and vigor is doable if you plan ahead and take good care of yourself.

Eat healthy (far less meat, a lot more fresh vegetables, ideally home grown since they're the best), and avoid junk food like the plague it is!

Don't smoke. If you drink do so in moderation. Exercise daily (work up a good sweat). Read challenging books by great authors. Stay mentally sharp. Refuse to become a glassy eyed TV sucking 'couch potato'. Involve yourself in helpful constructive projects every day.

I know these things work. I'll be 81 in just over a month, and still there's nothing I set my mind to that I can't do. Shoveled and spread 6000 lbs of 1/2" smooth rock to cover our front entry way yard two weeks ago. Earlier I cleaned the area of stones and such and covered it with rolled weed barrier. Enjoy my bike riding as much as ever. Read new and informative articles every day.

Yes, I despair (like most of us do) for the deteriorating state of our beloved country and the mobs of crazies pushing it towards political and moral oblivion. Democracy, properly cared for and faithfully practiced, works. Mobocracy, which we see so much of today as main stream media voices its left handed approval, doesn't.

Not much I can do about such things one on one anymore. Couldn't do much decades ago as a police officer in the Valley other than step in to nip unlawful activity in the bud when it reared its ugly head.

Come November conservative voices hopefully will be heard in unison once again, and the brotherhood of reason and common sense that made America the great nation it is will once again bring order to the chaos a relative few are intent on imposing on all of us.

Never a dull moment no matter what stage of life we're at! Don't despair that 'growing old' is an integral part of the journey. Take things a day at a time and do your level best to make the most in every way of the time providence gifts you with. Then you can rest easy knowing you did your best with every gift you were blessed with.

As has been said; Life isn't measured by how many breaths we take, but by how many moments we participate in that take our breath away..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,615
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,064
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,153
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,112
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics