Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Carb miss-aligned, cracked intake manifold #148204 06/11/20 05:54 PM
J
JPouchet Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Let me begin by saying If I knew the results were going to turn out so good I would have photographed everything we did.

Bought my '07 back in December. had about 6.800 miles on it. Been cleaning it up, doing needed service, replaced worn items, sprocket, gear, chain, etc,

Bike always ran 'ok' but was super cold-blooded like there was something wrong with the air/fuel mixture. Floats were stuck but a heavy dose of SeaFoam cleared that up. Still wasn't running right with ok performance but not anything special.

My mechanic buddy and former MX racer/tuner said he would help me rebuild the carb. Ordered the rebuild kit in Feb then COVID-19 hit. Finally was able to get together this past weekend to do the rebuild.

We got about 15 minutes into the tear-down, removing seat, etc. when my buddy noticed the carb was not properly seated / aligned with the intake manifold. Worse - the manifold was cracked. No wonder this bike wouldn't idle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Fortunately very little dirt was visible in the manifold. Glad we caught it before I put another few hundred miles on the bike off-road.

He pulled ups the part on Amazon, $16.99, ordered for Tuesday delivery. In the mean time we finished tearing down the bike, removed the carb, and started a very long, arduous cleaning process. The insides were a mess. PO clearly did a few mods as the pilot screw plus was removed although it was set at 1 1/8 turns. But whenever they re-installed the carb they did not properly insert the carb into the manifold.

Kit came with all the necessary pieces. We only did a lower-end rebuild. Did use about 1/4 can of carb cleaner on the upper body, internals. etc. making certain it was good and clean. All jets, tubes, etc. were functioning properly. So focused on float bowl and jets.

Floats were not set properly. Too low which could explain why I sometime felt like I was running out of fuel. Of corse the cracked manifold and downstream air getting into the mixture didn't help either.

New manifold arrived Tuesday evening. We did the final rebuild and assembly on Wednesday. had to buy two new manifold bolts as one was frozen. We cut a portion of the manifold off with a drill to get access to the bolt Of course it had to be the one NOT on the slotted side. Cleaned everything up, installed the new manifold, capped the vacuum tube, and began the arduous task of re-installing the carb. Took both of us to get it properly aligned and fully seated in the manifold. Took some careful rotation to walk the carb into place. That is a tight space with the upper part of the carb housing just clearing the frame.

Choke and throttle cables were reattached. Added an in-line fuel filter. had to get creative to prevent a significant bend in the fuel line so we ran an extra length looping the frame just below the seat to ensure a smooth bend in the fuel line. Worked like a charm!

Quick test of the fuel line, carb, choke with a trial start and the bike jumped back to life very quickly. Did a few initial tweaks to the pilot then shut it down to finis the assembly.

After that I did a proper warm-up run on the bike. My buddy made a few more tweaks to the pilot, adjusted idle speed, then told me to go do a test drive.

OMG this bike FLIES! I can not believe the difference in performance. Much more torque off the line. Pulls strongly through the mid-range and now has a top end that I just never saw before. Almost pulled a wheelie (ok, well the front end did get light) shifting into 3rd gear.

Yes, I am here to tell you that you can breathe new life back into the old motorcycles. When I bought It I never noticed the cracked manifold or carb not being properly seated. Don't know how many times my wife would say - honey, tour bike doesn't sound right and always has a strong oder of unburned gas'. To which I would reply, it's the choke and one of these days I'm going to rebuild the carb with Frank. When he is ok with me coming over to his garage.

Looking forward to many more miles on this bike with some exciting new performance.

JP

Adding some Adventure to my life. Orange County, CA
'07 XT225
Re: Carb miss-aligned, cracked intake manifold [Re: JPouchet] #148206 06/11/20 06:20 PM
Az4x4 Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member

JP, good for you! I'm intimately familiar with what a cracked carburetor boot will do to an XT225's performance (By the way the link to the IMGUR image you provided doesn't work, at least not for me). Glad you've got that problem solved. Now you can enjoy your bike like it's meant to be enjoyed!..

The voyage of discovery that truly matters is not in seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes.
Re: Carb miss-aligned, cracked intake manifold [Re: JPouchet] #148207 06/11/20 06:44 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
They run pretty well when done properly. Glad you got it sorted out. A little grease on the intake helps the carb slide right in.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: Carb miss-aligned, cracked intake manifold [Re: JPouchet] #148209 06/11/20 10:19 PM
Az4x4 Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member

JP, the image displays correctly now. That carburetor misalignment and split manifold was a problem crying out for a fix! Well done..

The voyage of discovery that truly matters is not in seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes.
Re: Carb miss-aligned, cracked intake manifold [Re: Az4x4] #148210 06/11/20 10:39 PM
J
JPouchet Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Good to know. I may have hit upload on the forum before saving the image properly on Imgur

I would say there isn't much left to fix/upgrade on the bike but we all know there is always another mod or farkle. X-Mount for the phone/GPS, fork update at least change out the old oil, may do a YZ front fender, new rear turn signals as existing ones are now shadowed by the rack, a new rear tire, replace OEM air filter ......

Adding some Adventure to my life. Orange County, CA
'07 XT225
Re: Carb miss-aligned, cracked intake manifold [Re: JPouchet] #148216 06/13/20 05:25 PM
Az4x4 Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member

It happens with all of us. We get so busy with daily life that most of what we do with our bikes at various points in time is fix, upgrade, mod and farkle -- with the occasional ride shoe horned in if we have a free moment! Never an end it seems to tweaks and changes we can make on our two wheel steeds! Hey, if we didn't enjoy it we wouldn't do it - no further excuse needed!..

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 26 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,045
alexd 5,915
Moto Psycho 4,684
Az4x4 4,577
peejman 3,492
kris 2,366
Paul49 1,873
Doc250 1,643
JerryH 1,582
Forum Statistics