Let me begin by saying If I knew the results were going to turn out so good I would have photographed everything we did.
Bought my '07 back in December. had about 6.800 miles on it. Been cleaning it up, doing needed service, replaced worn items, sprocket, gear, chain, etc,
Bike always ran 'ok' but was super cold-blooded like there was something wrong with the air/fuel mixture. Floats were stuck but a heavy dose of SeaFoam cleared that up. Still wasn't running right with ok performance but not anything special.
My mechanic buddy and former MX racer/tuner said he would help me rebuild the carb. Ordered the rebuild kit in Feb then COVID-19 hit. Finally was able to get together this past weekend to do the rebuild.
We got about 15 minutes into the tear-down, removing seat, etc. when my buddy noticed the carb was not properly seated / aligned with the intake manifold. Worse - the manifold was cracked. No wonder this bike wouldn't idle.
Fortunately very little dirt was visible in the manifold. Glad we caught it before I put another few hundred miles on the bike off-road.
He pulled ups the part on Amazon, $16.99, ordered for Tuesday delivery. In the mean time we finished tearing down the bike, removed the carb, and started a very long, arduous cleaning process. The insides were a mess. PO clearly did a few mods as the pilot screw plus was removed although it was set at 1 1/8 turns. But whenever they re-installed the carb they did not properly insert the carb into the manifold.
Kit came with all the necessary pieces. We only did a lower-end rebuild. Did use about 1/4 can of carb cleaner on the upper body, internals. etc. making certain it was good and clean. All jets, tubes, etc. were functioning properly. So focused on float bowl and jets.
Floats were not set properly. Too low which could explain why I sometime felt like I was running out of fuel. Of corse the cracked manifold and downstream air getting into the mixture didn't help either.
New manifold arrived Tuesday evening. We did the final rebuild and assembly on Wednesday. had to buy two new manifold bolts as one was frozen. We cut a portion of the manifold off with a drill to get access to the bolt Of course it had to be the one NOT on the slotted side. Cleaned everything up, installed the new manifold, capped the vacuum tube, and began the arduous task of re-installing the carb. Took both of us to get it properly aligned and fully seated in the manifold. Took some careful rotation to walk the carb into place. That is a tight space with the upper part of the carb housing just clearing the frame.
Choke and throttle cables were reattached. Added an in-line fuel filter. had to get creative to prevent a significant bend in the fuel line so we ran an extra length looping the frame just below the seat to ensure a smooth bend in the fuel line. Worked like a charm!
Quick test of the fuel line, carb, choke with a trial start and the bike jumped back to life very quickly. Did a few initial tweaks to the pilot then shut it down to finis the assembly.
After that I did a proper warm-up run on the bike. My buddy made a few more tweaks to the pilot, adjusted idle speed, then told me to go do a test drive.
OMG this bike FLIES! I can not believe the difference in performance. Much more torque off the line. Pulls strongly through the mid-range and now has a top end that I just never saw before. Almost pulled a wheelie (ok, well the front end did get light) shifting into 3rd gear.
Yes, I am here to tell you that you can breathe new life back into the old motorcycles. When I bought It I never noticed the cracked manifold or carb not being properly seated. Don't know how many times my wife would say - honey, tour bike doesn't sound right and always has a strong oder of unburned gas'. To which I would reply, it's the choke and one of these days I'm going to rebuild the carb with Frank. When he is ok with me coming over to his garage.
Looking forward to many more miles on this bike with some exciting new performance.