Print Thread
Rate Thread
SpaceX relies on Linux to launch NASA astronauts.. #148173 06/05/20 06:01 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
[Linked Image from wp-assets.futurism.com]
SpaceX isn’t the first to use open-source Linux to bring astronauts into orbit. NASA itself, and the International Space Station where the NASA astronauts launched by SpaceX are now stationed, switched to Linux from Windows 7 years ago, in 2013.

Also 7 years ago, on Reddit, SpaceX provided this in-depth information about their software engineering teams in which they outlined the nature and overall scope of the work they do with open-source Linux. Informative read for anyone interested in what it takes to launch astronauts into space and maintain the vast amount of high tech infrastructure that working off planet requires.

Plus here's a link to a fascinating ZDNet Article detailing SpaceX's use of Linux in its space flight operations.

Enjoy!..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: SpaceX relies on Linux to launch NASA astronauts.. [Re: Az4x4] #148174 06/05/20 07:03 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I watched the SpaceX launch and the rocket booster landing back on its pad. Very impressive stuff. Nice to see some activity in the space program again now with private industry partnering with the government. The people that engineering rockets are no strangers to software options. UNIX is what really needs to be given credit. Before which, the page was blank.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: SpaceX relies on Linux to launch NASA astronauts.. [Re: Muniac] #148175 06/05/20 10:41 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Muniac
..I watched the SpaceX launch and the rocket booster landing back on its pad. Very impressive stuff. Nice to see some activity in the space program again now with private industry partnering with the government..

That was impressive. No two ways about it. Interesting how smart people working as teams in private industry, like the SpaceX software engineering team, have what it takes to solve problems and reach the goals and standards they've been tasked to reach, doing it in less than a decade. Without politicians pushing personal agendas and government 'oversight committees' muddying the waters and bogging down the work with stuff it didn't need, Musk and company made things happen that no one ever thought they'd see - like landing the booster rocket back on its pad where it can be prepped for another launch, saving billions of dollars in the process.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Here's a photo of SpaceX's software engineering team in 2013. This is the talented group of young people who kick started the transition to Linux just 7 years ago, resulting in the incredible launch of our astronauts to the ISS from American soil that we witnessed just a few days ago. Add to that the equally incredible return of SpaceX's booster rocket to its launch pad where one day soon it will launch another astronaut crew to the ISS. In effect SpaceX has reinvented the future of US space flight. From here on everyone else is playing catch-up.

Originally Posted by Muniac
.....UNIX is what really needs to be given credit. Before which, the page was blank..

Unix was the starting point for all sorts of things that have spun off from it over the years. The amazing rise of Unix-like systems such as Linux, which just 25+ years ago was a hobby operating system project that Linus Torvalds, then a university student in Helsinki decided to post on the internet seeking input from others on how to improve it, is legendary to say the least.

The rest of the Linux story is the stuff of history, creating the promise of a future we'll all benefit from if we'll grow up, put our differences aside, and act responsibly towards one another as fellow travelers aboard spaceship earth..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,615
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,064
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,153
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,112
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics