Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Engine floats at high rpm [Re: Namdar Bolour] #147840 04/28/20 10:13 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Namdar Bolour
Originally Posted by Az4x4
.....Still miss that sweet BSA. Paid $750 for it in '57, equal to $6,983 today. If I still had it in the as new condition it was in the bike would easily be worth north of $20k on the classic bike market..

That is a beautiful piece of manufacturing! To me it has the perfect look of balance. The cylinder head, the exhaust pipes, the engine case side cover, the fenders. The tank and seat are gorgeous...

That BSA was gorgeous! No two ways about it. Purchased it from Buddy Stubbs, the BSA dealer in Phoenix at that time, in 1957. It was, if memory still serves, manufactured in '56. Once Buddy received it he set it up with performance mods and rode it a few hundred miles as his personal bike before selling it to me.

I had just turned 18 when I bought it. Lived some miles west of the Phoenix metro area in Litchfield Park. Indian School Rd. was a direct shot from Phoenix west to Litchfield Park. In those days Indian School Rd. west out of Phoenix was a two lane concrete WPA road through miles and miles of farmland with almost no stop signs the whole distance. Nothing out there except the occasional vehicle, so I often rode what today would be way too fast as crowded as the West Valley area has become.

Anyway, yes, that was a beautiful bike, and the one I bought from Buddy Stubbs was literally dynamite on two wheels performance wise.

The Buddy Stubbs dealership is still around, with Harley Davidson their main product these days. Here's a link to their awesome motorcycle museum, a don't miss seeing collection of vintage bikes if there ever was one: https://www.buddystubbshd.com/dont-miss-our-motorcycle--museum

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Engine floats at high rpm [Re: LMJ123] #147841 04/29/20 02:53 AM
Namdar Bolour Offline
Thanks for relating this story, Az4x4. Arizona must have been just up and coming at that time! Thanks for the Buddy Stubbs museum info. I'll definitely check it out if I'm in the area. Best Regards...

-- Nam, 2019 XT250, LA Metro
Re: Engine floats at high rpm [Re: Namdar Bolour] #147859 05/01/20 09:19 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

..Thanks for relating this story, Az4x4. Arizona must have been just up and coming at that time!..

The Territory of Arizona became a State in 1912. By the late '50s, nearly 15 years after the end of WW2, Arizona was in the midst of an economic boom that continues to this day.

..Thanks for the Buddy Stubbs museum info. I'll definitely check it out if I'm in the area. Best Regards...

The Buddy Stubbs vintage bike museum is a fascinating place to visit, particularly if someone has a real interest in bikes and their development. Wish the museum had a classic mid to late '50s BSA 650 'Spitfire Scrambler' on display. That would really be the frosting on the cake as far as I'm concerned!..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Engine floats at high rpm [Re: Az4x4] #148982 09/12/20 06:22 PM
W
Woods Walker Offline
W

Originally Posted by patuca
.....Any fairly current motorcycle I can think of has some form of rev-limiter that makes it impossible to damage the engine by throttle on over-revving. Most of them can't even rev to the red-line when the bike is in neutral...

Wish my bike had a built in rev-limiter back in the late '50s. Late in the evening, riding my BSA 650 'Spitfire Scrambler' past a drive-in theater in Phoenix, I glanced at the marquee reading 'James Dean and Elizabeth Taylor in "GIANT" -- and that's all I remember till I woke up strapped to a gurney in an ambulance on the way to the hospital. I survived. The bike didn't.
[Linked Image from cybermotorcycle.com]

The main thing with the bike was the throttle stuck wide open when a car turned directly in front of me and I T-boned it at 40 mph. The BSA's engine revved to the point that it self destructed, exploding like someone planted a bomb in the crankcase.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The only thing I recovered from that wreck was a piece of one of my BSA's exploded pistons lying in the bottom of that blown apart engine. Use it suspended from a cord as a 'Cowboy Weather Station'. When it's hot, it's hot. When it's cold, it's cold. When it's wet, it's raining. When it's moving, the wind is blowing. When there's snow on it, it's snowing. Etc.!!

[Linked Image from farm4.static.flickr.com]

Still miss that sweet BSA. Paid $750 for it in '57, equal to $6,983 today. If I still had it in the as new condition it was in the bike would easily be worth north of $20k on the classic bike market..

"Cowboy Weather Station"......made me laugh my a-- off ! I had to show the wife and she just shrugged her shoulders. Just confirmed what I already knew......that our funny bones are different. Anyway....GOOD ONE !

That BSA model is a beautiful bike ! I sure would liked to have owned one. The engine design looks similar to a 69 Triumph TR6 650 that I owned. Mine was a chopper though and the only thing left from the original bike was part of the frame and the engine. I put a 750 big bore kit on that. Vibrated like hell though. Both piston go up and down at the same time. That's what the guy that put the big bore kit on for me said. I never looked at it apart. Crap would just fall off if it wasn't lock tighted on. Love the look of the vintage/antique English motorcycles. The guys I rode with during the 70's/80's allowed English bikes but not Japanese bikes. Different world back then. Who would know that I would end up in my 60's with 2 Yamaha's.

When I rode my XT225 home a couple of weeks ago(just bought it), I revved it out pretty good in 2nd then got the wheel up when I hit 3rd. I didn't notice any problem at all so maybe I didn't get the R's up high enough. I'm pretty good at NOT hitting the rev limit though. My Yamaha Road Star 1600 has a pretty low rev limit and I still don't hit it very often. I think I can feel the power curve that is always lower so makes no sense.

The only T-bone I had was about 5-10 MPH when I thought I could make the stop and that was enough to bend my forks and break my nose when my face hit the passenger window. So you were luck to be alive. I saw my riding buddy get busted up real bad when he T-boned a car. He went up and over the car. Cracked his helmet right off when he hit the ground. That put a bad fear of riding in me for a long time. Hell of a bad thing to see.

I gotta git me a "Cowboy Weather Station" LMAO !

Last edited by Woods Walker; 09/12/20 06:29 PM.
Re: Engine floats at high rpm [Re: Woods Walker] #148989 09/12/20 11:22 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Woods Walker
..."Cowboy Weather Station"......made me laugh my a-- off ! I had to show the wife and she just shrugged her shoulders. Just confirmed what I already knew......that our funny bones are different. Anyway....GOOD ONE !..I gotta git me a "Cowboy Weather Station" LMAO !..

You can hang anything you like on a cord and suspend it outdoors as a Cowboy Weather Station. First one I saw was a small polished rock on a base with an arched arm holding the rock suspended. It was a Cowboy Weather Rock, for what that's worth!..

Re: Engine floats at high rpm [Re: Az4x4] #148990 09/12/20 11:29 PM
W
Woods Walker Offline
W
Originally Posted by Woods Walker
..."Cowboy Weather Station"......made me laugh my a-- off ! I had to show the wife and she just shrugged her shoulders. Just confirmed what I already knew......that our funny bones are different. Anyway....GOOD ONE !..I gotta git me a "Cowboy Weather Station" LMAO !..

You can hang anything you like on a cord and suspend it outdoors as a Cowboy Weather Station. First one I saw was a small polished rock on a base with an arched arm holding the rock suspended. It was a Cowboy Weather Rock, for what that's worth!..

YEA....that's the ticket. Think I'll do that when I get time. Maybe use a wrought iron plant hanger I just happen to have. Now to find a good rock that'll tell the weather real good ! LOL

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 27 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,621
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,074
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,163
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,114
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics