Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Ridin' Arklahoma! [Re: Vinduroman] #147678 04/15/20 02:26 PM
V
Vinduroman Offline OP
Member L1
OP Offline
Member L1
V
That's actually a lake, "Shores Lake". And yes, there have been continual heavy rains off/on all winter as well as recently. A lake takes a lot longer to "settle" than the creeks that rush over rocks. Rocks and rocky creek beds seem to help filter the sediment out of the water in few days.

As for that picture: I think on the ride in which I took that photo, it had rained (again) the night before, and the creeks were still showing that evidence. Plus, in warmer weather during spring, we have this "green dust" (pollen) that covers EVERYTHING, and it too, will color the water. Best water effects in my part of the world is in the dead of winter. Lastly, underbrush along the creek banks also contribute to the color of the water. If it's a wet winter (and it has been), and the water is running good, after a day or so after a rain is when it's at its cleanest. Otherwise, given the dirt/sediment and "green dust", there can be a light green tint as is evidenced by the above rushing creek scene. (However, that scene will have clearer water in another 24 hours as the rocks do their filtering thing.)

Our sandstone-based creeks are never truly "clear". Truly "clear" creeks are in the Ozark and Ouachita regions where there's more flint content in the rocks. Creeks in those regions can be clear enough to where you can plainly see the creek bottom in 6' or so of still water. IMHO, Colorado has some of the clearest creeks in our nation. Lack of underbrush, not as much pollen "green dust" in the spring, snow melt run-off, and the type of rocks there, contribute to truly spectacular creeks. We (wife and I) love being next to creeks in Colorado.

Our preferred mountains are the Rockies... but we're thankful we live where we live in that there are at least a type of mountains. We enjoy our mountains to the utmost until we can get out and get ourselves a Colorado "fix". Having lived a couple of looooong years out in western Oklahoma in "red dirt country"... I can truly say there are far worse places (for my tastes) to live for dirt biking!! Thus, we thank God for where we live!

V-man

Re: Ridin' Arklahoma! [Re: Vinduroman] #147679 04/15/20 04:40 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Some of our creeks have iron deposits that color the rocks and creek bed. Heavy Spring melt waters will stir up mud and silt which makes the water run murky brown or with a greenish tinge. Calmer flows tend to run clear in most creeks. We'll usually see that in late Summer and during the Fall.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Red Mountain Creek - 1/29/2017

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Red Mountain Creek 10/29/2017

Water flows are constantly changing up in the mountains.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Ridin' Arklahoma! [Re: Vinduroman] #149197 10/29/20 01:50 PM
V
Vinduroman Offline OP
Member L1
OP Offline
Member L1
V
Hey crew!

Just sayin' "HI!" and letting all you all know that Wild Child (wife) and I are still riding. Wild Child is the one that mainly rides our XT225 when we go for a "big bike" dual sport ride and we've already been on many rides since our riding season has hit.

HOWEVER...

In addition to our dual sport rides on the "big bikes", she now has her very own Yamaha vinduro "tiddler" that she rides when we do a "vinduro tiddler" dual sport ride. Here a month or so ago she purchased a '73 Yamaha AT-3 125. I went through it for her (serviced it, fixed/replaced issues/etc). It runs great and except for wear items (tires/chain/etc) it is 100% original. I slicked it up as best I could but left it pretty untouched seeing as its an original survivor bike.

Anyway, we've already been on three "vinduro dual sport" outings and she loves "Lil' Blue" (her AT-3). Here's a pic of her with Lil' Blue on her last "vinduro dual sport" ride we took.

[Linked Image from vscalecreations.com]

For that ride, I was riding my '72 DKW GS125. Both bikes are tagged/insured here in OK and we can ride them wherever street legal vehicles are allowed. That's cool.

On Satuday, Nov 7, we're both going to be participating in the T-Town Tiddler Fall Ride that's to be based out of our home town this year. Looking at 85 miles of back roads on our tiddlers. Ought to be about a couple dozen tiddlers that show up for the ride. When she learned of the T-Town Tiddlers rides, she wanted her own tiddler for the yearly Fall/Spring T-Town Tiddlers rides!

All fer now!

V-man

Last edited by Vinduroman; 10/29/20 04:58 PM.
Re: Ridin' Arklahoma! [Re: Vinduroman] #149202 10/29/20 08:03 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Glad you guys are still riding and enjoying the experience. Any morale boosting content is much welcome. Be safe!

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Ridin' Arklahoma! [Re: Vinduroman] #149211 10/30/20 02:28 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Cool!

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: Ridin' Arklahoma! [Re: Vinduroman] #149216 10/30/20 03:04 PM
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

'Wild Child' and her AT-3 125 seem a perfect match. Good on her and good on both of you for getting out and about on two wheels as often as you do!

The closest I ever came to the AT-3 125 two stroke was a new Honda 125 four stroke trials bike back in the mid '70s. Loved that little mountain goat like Wild Child loves her AT-3!

Enjoy your riding adventures and keep the reports coming!

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 42 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,621
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,074
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,163
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,114
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics