Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
LEOs out enforcing trail / CV19 restrictions #147581 04/06/20 06:32 PM
J
JPouchet Offline OP
OP Offline
J
So my buddies and I got together for a small group ride on Saturday. Everything for the meetup to all of our stops were planned around safe distancing. What we didn't expect was to see the law enforcement community out in large numbers enforcing trail restrictions, trespassing (about time!), and those blatantly disregarding social distancing guidelines. It did however mean all of the local dirt roads, forest roads, etc. were closed to the public. Only homeowners with keys for the gates had access.

The group meetup at my house. Buddy's 2006 XT225 and Father/Son on 2017 Honda CRF250s Plus my 2007 XT

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Better view of the XTs

I tried to use the GoPro but forgot to check the record settings. It was in Photo mode not video. So when this street rider showed of his riding skills all I got was a still photo. Not that I recommend this type of display on the highway but this guy had some serious skills! Rode that wheelie over the top of the hill and down the other side. Kept it at 35 to 40 the entire way.

Ok - so our group went on a recon for miles looking for trail access. Every gate road was closed. Ended up on our old standby Trabuco Road for some dirt time. Most of it was graded last week, A good 1/2 mile had some nice loose gravel so we did some flat track work on the corners. Also a short - 250 foot jeep spur was open so we got in a bit of first-gear crawling technical practice. Until we got it near perfect.\

Trail end was being patrolled by Forest Service. They were ticketing anyone that went past the gate. We spoke to a woman with a toddler. She received a $180 ticket for going around the gate and letting the kid play in the water. Perhaps a bit excessive but there were too many people out in the creak bed to keep sage social distancing. You can just make her out in the background.

We made it almost back to the main road when we saw a Mercedes 4X4 truck head by. We went back to go get some photos. They politely stopped for a photo op. It only took about two. minutes for the LEOs to come by to ask everyone to disperse. LEOs were incredibly polite. Recognized we were keeping very safe distance and had full face helmets but did not want the photo shot to turn into a big social gathering. No problem. We got the message!

With Rain coming down hard and CV19 closures everywhere we plan to make our next ride 100% highways.

Stay safe.

JP

Adding some Adventure to my life. Orange County, CA
'07 XT225
Re: LEOs out enforcing trail / CV19 restrictions [Re: JPouchet] #147584 04/07/20 01:43 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thanks for the RR, photos and information. It's all very sad, indeed. Getting out for some outdoor activity is important, especially now. We haven't seen our tourist season start just yet. Not sure if it will be mobbed and/or how the CV19 will impact closures. Fingers crossed we can see this tail off and get people back to a normal life. Ride safely and enjoy what's open, legal and accessible. Stay healthy!

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: LEOs out enforcing trail / CV19 restrictions [Re: JPouchet] #147592 04/08/20 01:01 AM
Selden Offline
Member L3
Member L3
This undoubtedly differs from state to state. In Georgia, USFS fire roads are open, although campgrounds and hiking trails are closed. I went for a ~50-mile ride yesterday, and saw 1 bicycle, 2 motorcycles, three pickup trucks, two parked cars, and zero LEOs.

On the other hand, a ride last weekend through much of the same route felt like a summer day, with more traffic than I have ever seen.

County government officials in North Georgia are concerned about the weekend onslaughts:

"The past three weekends have been to levels that we only see during Fourth of July. Or even more people than that. It’s been extreme," said Tim Stamey, a member of the Habersham County Board of Commissioners. Tallulah Gorge straddles the Habersham and Rabun County line.

Stamey is backing a letter from eight county commissioners representing Tallulah Gorge and other north Georgia state parks – expressing concern to Gov. Kemp about “increased traffic ... coming from COVID-19 hot spots such as Atlanta” and from out of state.

It's a classic urban/rural clash, amplified by the pandemic. I moved here to get away from these people, but I also realize that until 3 years ago I was one of them.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke, don't break it if you can't fix it.

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 29 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,010
alexd 5,915
Moto Psycho 4,684
Az4x4 4,533
peejman 3,434
kris 2,366
Paul49 1,859
Doc250 1,643
JerryH 1,550
Forum Statistics