Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
XT225 Resurrection #144771 03/30/19 05:04 PM
Detour Offline OP
OP Offline
[img:center][/img]

So I have been dreaming about this for years… well over a decade. My dad bought this 93’ XT225 with super low gearing and the well known cold start issues at a yard sale and I immediately liked it. We are both short 5’5” ish and we actually fit on this bike. He kept trying to make simple fixes that wouldn’t last long and then kill the battery on the trail from stalling it and it not wanting to start. Back then you could easily find the kick start kit and I recommended it multiple times, even offered to buy it but he never went for it. I first chased him down forest roads with street bikes and later found a Honda NX250 which was fun, ran circles around the XT on the road, but every time I dropped it something broke.

At any rate, after letting it sit for the last 4 years rotting in the AZ sun I convinced him to give it up. So now I have it in WI and it is time to resurrect this gem. I am planning a lot of upgrades, perhaps too much for this bike, but it fits me and not much new on the market does. So I plan on building this bike to my specs.

I will try to keep this page updated as I go along. I have a YouTube channel that I have posted some trips and my Honda CB500x upgrades on, so I will be trying to continue the videos on it as well. But I will warn you that life gets in the way and sometimes there might not be updates for long periods of time.

Plans

Motor - The motor leaks a lot of oil, so it will need to be resealed. The bike has 17,000 miles on it (if memory serves) so I am now considering putting a Wiseco high compression piston in it. I have found some threads on it and it has me very tempted. This would bring the XT225 up to 10.25 to 1 compression.

• Carb - I have bought a new TM28 pumper for a DRZ250. I read that this is supposed to work a bit better than the TM33, but can only find a couple of people that have actually used the TM28. So this will be trial and error I think.

• Exhaust Exhaust - FMF Powercore 4, trying to find a used one to save money. I see one for a Honda that is $65, but the pipe is the wrong angle so it would need work.

• Suspension - Already bought a TTR225 rear shock with low hours on it. Plan on getting new front springs and RaceTech Gold Valves.

• Lighting/Plastics - I have bought an LED headlight from a different bike and will be swapping to LED tail and turn signals. All low profile to prevent damage. I am also swapping out to YZ fenders, I think they look much nicer.

• Tank - Considering the Clarke tank, although I am unsure if I really need the capacity. The factory tank is dented and the wrong color, so I would at least be painting it.

• Seat - New cover and change the contour a little, less board and more Squishy.

• Controls and Bars - I have a set of Rox Risers that I will probably end up using, cheaper than new bars to start with. I already bought new controls from a 2004 XT225 that are in much better condition, not bleached and brittle. Will also install break away levers and hand guards.

I wish there were stronger foot controls available, MSR, Tusk anyone know of an option that doesn’t bend into the case when dropped on a rock?

• Brakes - I found a new master cylinder for the front and twin piston caliper for the same amount everyone else wanted just for the master. So I will soon see how easy the twin bolts on compared to the factory single piston. Rear drums will get new shoes and the rod/linkage swapped to the high side.

• Tires - This bike needs a good set of dirt tires. Currently sitting on road tires that were grooved for more dirt traction. I was amazed at how well they hooked up in hard back and loose rock when riding with my dad. But I am thinking Pirelli MT-21 front. Rear is up in the air Dunlop D606, Michelin AC-10 or the K760 Trackmaster. I do want some road manors for around the neighborhood and runs down the highway between trails, so I am leery about the Trackmasters.

• Foot Pegs - Already bought the DMO Specialties, those factory pegs are way to tiny.

• Electrical - WPS lithium battery is planned and if it doesn’t make the bike run it is going away otherwise. No kickstand nannies and will be ditching the factory gauges. Also as mentioned above, all LED lighting.

• Skid Plate - I guess this will be Ricochet unless there are other opinions on options. Is the TTR225 skid worth it?

• Gearing - I am thinking lower 16/55 or 15/50 but I have another post discussing this already.

Well I will try and keep this thread updated and if anyone has input, suggestions or knows of some good used deals I am very interested.

Last edited by Detour; 03/30/19 05:12 PM.

An O2 dependent, H2O saturated, carbon based life-form that swims slower than a sea-cucumber.
Re: XT225 Resurrection [Re: Detour] #144778 03/30/19 08:39 PM
ThumperStorm Offline
Seems like you are off to a good start. Do you have a link to your Youtube channel or a name to look up on there?

"Maybe you ain't in a rut, maybe you're in a ditch, way over your head." Don Marshall
Re: XT225 Resurrection [Re: ThumperStorm] #144792 03/31/19 04:45 PM
Detour Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: ThumperStorm
Do you have a link to your Youtube channel or a name to look up on there?

https://www.youtube.com/chaoticdetour

Wow, just noticed it has been 8 months since I posted anything. I need to finish one of the many videos and get some content up.

An O2 dependent, H2O saturated, carbon based life-form that swims slower than a sea-cucumber.
Re: XT225 Resurrection [Re: Detour] #145166 05/02/19 06:07 PM
Detour Offline OP
OP Offline
Just a little update. I was able to score an FMF Powercore 4 listed for the TTR225 for $100. It has a few expected scuffs on it but no dents. Not sure yet but I might want a quiet insert depending on just how loud they are. Looking forward to getting this pipe on.

Re: XT225 Resurrection [Re: Detour] #146579 12/07/19 04:24 PM
Detour Offline OP
OP Offline
Clarke tank and Cogent springs and valves are on their way from Procycle.

I have still been very busy so all I've managed to do is get a key made for it, got a cheap gel cell and was able to get it started and idling. Tried to take it around the neighborhood and it would fall on its face with very little throttle. Short shifted 1-2-3 and then it didn't have any power to pull from there. I'm sure the carb is just dirty and it will be getting replaced any ways.

Wish I had more of an update, but the project is not forgotten.

Re: XT225 Resurrection [Re: Detour] #146582 12/07/19 06:26 PM
Az4x4 Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member

You'll get it done. It's a project. Lots of things yet to be done. It's fun to read where you are and how far you've got with it, so no worries. Keep us in the loop as you progress with the restoration. If a photo or two helps we'd love to see them..

"When it's a life-and-death matter, the market for bullshit drops to zero."
Re: XT225 Resurrection [Re: Detour] #147225 03/12/20 09:59 AM
J
JerryH Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
J
I have made a lot of modifications to my XT225, but I left the engine and brakes stock. I kept the engine stock for reliability. It has plenty of power for the way I ride. In first gear it will climb anything that the rear tire can get traction on. I have over 30,000 miles on it and it still runs fine. And I have a like new 3000 mile engine to replace it with when/if it ever does wear out. I left the brakes stock because they work just fine. I did get the Clarke tank, the stock tank just does not hold enough gas for all day rides in the AZ desert. I also did the kickstarter back when they were available. I also added a custom made centerstand which is also no longer available. That probably saved my life a couple of times when I had a flat and there was absolutely nothing to prop the bike up on. I installed an Immix Racing flat rear rack. I had the sea redone. All new plastics. New bars and risers. Z1 mod to stock exhaust (just for the sound) and the big one. Almost $1000 went into suspension mods. I weigh 240, and the stock suspension just wasn't designed for that kind of weight. Works Performance rear shock built to my specs, and I also got the front springs and Race Tech Gold Valves. I also replaced the stock choke setup with one that attaches directly to the carb. And I carry a spare. I was stranded overnight 140 miles from home because that cheap plastic crap broke off the carb.

Last edited by JerryH; 03/12/20 10:06 AM.

The above is my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
1994/2001 custom built XT225 with a ton of aftermarket parts.

Re: XT225 Resurrection [Re: Detour] #147226 03/12/20 02:07 PM
Muniac Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
As for cleaning carbs, Berryman B-12 is good cleaner. Might want to give that a try first.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: XT225 Resurrection [Re: Detour] #147340 03/20/20 04:19 PM
Az4x4 Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member

Second the Berryman B-12 recommendation. That's really good stuff..

"When it's a life-and-death matter, the market for bullshit drops to zero."

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Az4x4, Muniac), 22 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 5,955
alexd 5,915
Moto Psycho 4,684
Az4x4 4,466
peejman 3,384
kris 2,366
Paul49 1,829
Doc250 1,643
JerryH 1,546
Forum Statistics