Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Flu vs. COVID-19 Statistics #147218 03/11/20 03:03 PM
Muniac Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Thought I'd throw my hat into this ring. Hopefully to restore some sanity against propaganda and those fanning the flames of fear/hysteria. You can visit Hopkins Medicine to check stats and read further. Some highlights from their site below as of 3/10/2020:

Infection Stats:
  • COVID-19: Approximately 115,997 cases worldwide; 761 cases in the U.S. as of Mar 10, 2020.
  • Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Death Stats:
  • COVID-19: Approximately 4,087 deaths reported worldwide; 27 deaths in the U.S. as of Mar 10, 2020.
  • Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

Like most flu viruses, they transmit via droplets in the air. Usually from people exhaling, sneezing, etc. Entry points being eyes, nose and mouth. As for COVID-19, it appears to be a bit more hardy (than a normal flu) along the droplet path from the infected. You can have it (w/no symptoms) and be contagious as its incubation period is about 14 days. Pretty much like any other flu.

Not widely known is Italy's involvements with China. Lots of business deals going on and traveling. Hence their (Italy) outbreak ahead of other areas. I think everyone should be aware of what the facts are, take precautions and remain in a rational state of mind. Fear, panic and hysteria never accomplish anything of value. Those promoting this, are doing an extreme disservice to humanity.

As for something good coming from COVID-19, I hope it is a wake up call for the CDC to improve efficiency and response times. Getting vaccines and test kits to those in need quickly. My condolences go out to anyone losing a friend, family member or loved one to this infection. Fingers crossed this runs its course and is over come late Spring. It's been one hell of a wild ride! What say you?

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Flu vs. COVID-19 Statistics [Re: Muniac] #147219 03/11/20 04:32 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I think the number of people infected is woefully underestimated... by up to an order of magnitude. A large percent of those infected have reported relatively minor symptoms, little more than your typical cold. When I get sick, I don't go to the doctor unless I've been miserable for at least a week. It takes about that long to fight off most viruses and I have no need to pay the doctor $100 to tell me I'm sick and there's not much they can do. I'd estimate I'm likely in the majority in not immediately running off to the doctor. That makes me think that there's many, many people who've had it but didn't think enough of it to anything more than wait for it to go away.

If that's the case and the infection rate is much higher, then the death rate is much lower... closer to what's considered normal for the flu. The problem with COVID-19 appears to be how contagious it is. Lots of people get it all of a sudden and it overwhelms the medical community's ability to respond effectively. It also means that by week 3 of the "outbreak", most of the medical folks have it too which further reduces their ability to treat people.

It's a virus and in our global community, it will be around the world before long. That is inevitable. The hope is that it spreads at a slow enough rate that it doesn't overwhelm the hospitals as it has in China and Italy.

Last edited by peejman; 03/11/20 04:33 PM.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: Flu vs. COVID-19 Statistics [Re: Muniac] #147220 03/11/20 07:46 PM
Muniac Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
I've had two flu viruses and whopping cough in my lifetime. Fevers maxed out at around 103.5 which is high. But I let my body do what it needed to fight the virus. Tylenol, mild exercise and rest did help with reducing feeling like crap. That said, I had to work as staying home just wasn't an option. Didn't go to the doctor except to get some cough medicine for the whooping cough. It was a prescription syrup with 5mg of codeine per tablespoon and it worked extremely well taken before bedtime. Had sounds coming out of my lungs that were terrifying. Jeannie got infected with the flu in both cases showing symptoms 24 hours after me. She didn't get the whooping cough. Both of us weathered the infections and made it through. Cough lingered for a couple of weeks after the fever broke as did just feeling tired. Then you forget about it.

So our cases went undocumented proving out your hypothesis of many more people getting sick than what's on the books. And many more people making it through and back to good health. The worst things I've had were two bouts of food poisoning. Not fun at all as George can attest to.

China claims things are settling down and stabilizing. They also aren't the most transparent about such things either.

We hope for the best and plan for the worst. Got 2 weeks of food in place if we come down with a flu. In our rural area, we can duck out of sight, suffer and make our way back to good health without passing it along. People institutionalized or dealing with underlying medical conditions might not be so lucky. As mentioned, it's a virus and viruses will spread. What's important is not to panic or become hysterical. Chances are you'll make it through and survive. As for the US, we're in pretty good shape now and dealing with what I'd term a normal flu season. Fingers crossed it stays that way and is reported as such.

Last edited by Muniac; 03/11/20 07:51 PM.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 42 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,621
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,074
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,163
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,114
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics