Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Heads Up: Apple's iOS is now *ad-ware*.. #147132 02/24/20 09:17 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Apple provides services and add-ons that you pay a subscription fee for if you're using iOS and want to add them to your system. *AppleCare* extended warranties and *iCloud* data subscriptions began this. After that *Apple Music* was added a few years ago. Then last year Apple greatly increased these pay-to-use offerings adding *TV+*, *News+*, *Arcade*, and *Card*.

You might think, if you're not an iOS user, that people most likely wouldn't sign up for such pay-to-use services. If you're a Linux open-source user the very idea of paying for stuff like Apple pedals to iOS users on a monthly basis makes no sense at all.

Why does Apple do this? Simply put, Apple's services has become a massive money making machine, bringing in $12.7 billion USD this first part of 2020 alone, nearly a sixth of Apple's staggeringly huge 1st quarter revenue projection. That massive amount of money comes from 480 million current *Apple Services* subscribers, and Apple has its sights set on raising that number to 600 million by the end of this year.

To make this happen Apple pushes a massive number of ads onto iOS users devices. Apple's newest iOS version brings with it a huge number of ads marketing *Apple Services*. From first use to the day you throw up your hands in disgust and set your Apple device aside, these ads will constantly be in your face, prodding, prompting, encouraging you to subscribe to pay-to-use Apple services of one sort or another.

It's unfortunate, yet not unexpected, that these ads can't be blocked with the iOS content blocker extension. Some can be dismissed once they pop up, and fewer yet can be hidden. Most however cannot be hidden or dismissed because they've been built into iOS core apps like Apple Music and the App Store.

Software that comes with unremovable ads is know as "ad-ware". Sadly that is precisely what Apple's iOS has become.

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Heads Up: Apple's iOS is now *ad-ware*.. [Re: Az4x4] #147138 02/25/20 05:08 PM
Muniac Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I don't own a single Apple product. Never have and probably never will. But their stock (on average) has done very well. With the usual roller coaster of the market. I'm glad Apple has endured and prospered over the years. If Apple has figured out a way to generate $12.7B with add on products, hats off to that. No one is forced to use their iOS or smart phones, etc. People make conscience choices to buy and participate. As for PCs, smart phones, services and O/S loads, we have many options. Pick what works best for you and your wallet.

As for backups and music I much prefer my own devices, methods and libraries. Things that don't depend on an internet connection and/or service. Just provides a bit of peace of mind.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Heads Up: Apple's iOS is now *ad-ware*.. [Re: Muniac] #147139 02/25/20 06:30 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Muniac
.....for backups and music I much prefer my own devices, methods and libraries. Things that don't depend on an internet connection and/or service. Just provides a bit of peace of mind..

Ditto that, Scott! +++1!!

As you noted, no one forces anyone to buy into anything OS wise. Those who like the idea of placing their on-line life in the hands of Apple, or Microsoft for that matter, regardless of the cost in dollars and personal security that doing so entails, blindly trusting these companies to 'do right by them' while not minding the full-bore 'ad-ware' with all its in-your-face annoyances that iOS, macOS, and Win10 have become, then all the best to them. My sister and her family are part of the dyed in the wool Apple crowd. My youngest son is mixed Apple and Windows, while my oldest son is a dedicated Linux user, as are my wife and I.

Interesting how through the decades Apple and Microsoft have steadily moved towards their respective versions of 'walled garden' operating systems who's primary reason-for-being is that 'captive audiences' are easier to bend to the company's will, providing a massive 'cash cow' herd of users willing to 'pay-to-play' no matter the cost.

Again, not saying this isn't brilliant marking, ensuring massive profits for these companies. Just saying that the Apple OS I knew when we used Macs at work doing graphics, and the Microsoft OSs, from MS-DOS to Windows 3.x through 7, OSs I was intimately familiar with and enjoyed using, were offered by companies whose priorities were a lot more 'user oriented' in those days as opposed to 'company oriented' as we see them today.

Hey, if I were a shareholder of Apple and/or Microsoft stock I'd be singing a different tune, no doubt about it! I'd probably still be using Linux Mint on my own PCs, but I'd be encouraging people to buy into all the latest and greatest marketing ploys these two giants roll out!..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,615
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,064
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,153
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,112
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics