Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146836 - 01/10/20 01:06 PM Hello from Tas :))
KngTyrannosaurus Offline

Loc: Perth, Australia
Hi all,

thank you for letting me join your forum! I've been lurking here for quite some time so I'm very excited to be a member!
I'll save you the story, but the short version is that I've been gifted a 2007 XT225 by a friend as a project bike.

Cosmetically the bike is fine, however mechanically it needs a little work. When it was running, it had developed a 'knocking sound' which the original owner and some mechanics couldn't find the source of.

When it passed into my hands, it had been sitting in a shed for a year so now it doesn't start (starter spinning, not engaging). Thankfully I have the notes from the last service, which mention that the starter clutch is beginning to slip so I've bought the flywheel puller to inspect the clutch and see how the dowels/springs are doing- after advice from a similar problem on this forum!

I've also learned that the carbies on these are known to clog, so I'm considering the rebuild kit for that. The issue is that the kit seems to be ~80 AUD, so I'm hoping I can just buy the jets/seals. I've heard an inline fuel filter is recommended, does that help with the carby gumming up?

Not sure on the knocking yet, haven't heard it myself. Best I could get out is that it was concurrent with engine speed and that its towards the top end of the cylinder. I'm unsure when the valve clearance was last done (bike was serviced with a non-specialty mechanic so I don't know if they knew to do it). A friend thought the timing chain might be slipping and 'slapping' the case, time will tell I suppose.

Anyway, thanks again!
See you all around smile

#146837 - 01/10/20 02:30 PM Re: Hello from Tas :)) [Re: KngTyrannosaurus]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Heber/Overgaard, AZ

Welcome aboard! Enjoy the site for everything it has to offer, and best of luck as you sort out problems you inherited with the gift of your '07 XT225. Lots of information and experience available here, so don't hesitate asking whatever questions you may have. Photos are a big help so post anything you think we'd enjoy seeing. Ride safely and enjoy!..

#146839 - 01/10/20 03:17 PM Re: Hello from Tas :)) [Re: KngTyrannosaurus]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: East TN USA
Welcome!

A gunked up carb doesn't necessarily need any replacement parts, just a thorough cleaning. A fuel filter will catch the big stuff, but won't do much for a carb left sitting. Best thing for that is 100% gas (no ethanol) and running the carb dry before it sits for an extended period of time.

#146841 - 01/10/20 04:56 PM Re: Hello from Tas :)) [Re: KngTyrannosaurus]
JPouchet Offline

Loc: California - Orange County
Welcome to the forum - best of luck with you '07 XT225. Mine fortunately was in a bit better running condition when I bought it. Still if everything is there you should be able to get the bike running and enjoy it for some time. The motors are very robust.

Once you get it started you may be able to get away with not much more than some good carb cleaner. A few blasts into the carb will help the clean up the air passages. As to the float bowl you won't need a full rebuild kit. Some perma gasket material may suffice at least for a quick clean. Again that can of carb cleaner will suffice.

Also try running some fuel additive in the next few tanks. Not the full bottle as these bikes only have an 8 liter tank. I've been successful running a rather strong mix at 1/2 a bottle or enough for 40 liters. No harm to the motor but definitely making an improvement.

Do read through forum. Tremendous amount of knowledge on hand.

Enjoy!

JP

PS: you may find some threads about using www.imgur.com for posting photos. other services also work but the Imgur interface is quick and easy. Plus no annual fees. At least non that I've found.

#146845 - 01/10/20 08:29 PM Re: Hello from Tas :)) [Re: KngTyrannosaurus]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Loc: Montrose, CO
Welcome to the site as a new USER. Glad you joined. Enjoy and ride safely. Post on!

#146848 - 01/10/20 08:46 PM Re: Hello from Tas :)) [Re: KngTyrannosaurus]
#brer15 Online   content
Silver Member

Loc: Atlanta,GA
Welcome

#146852 - 01/11/20 01:09 AM Re: Hello from Tas :)) [Re: peejman]
KngTyrannosaurus Offline

Loc: Perth, Australia
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Also cheers for the advice on the carby peejman/JPouchet! I'll try cleaning it first then and see how I go- it might be a while since its going to be ~3 weeks before I manage to fix the starter issue (not really home next week, and there's about a two week lag on parts). Its so worn the poor thing engages maybe once or twice then just spins... First goal is to get it started, so if I can clean the carb to get going then that'd be fantastic!

I'll do my best to grab photos, thanks for the recommend on a hosting site. If nothing else they might serve as a little more for the documentation pile.

End goal for this bike is to have it working smile its a journey/destination thing- I've always wanted a project machine and I'm thankful to finally have one! I'll probably end up using it as a commuter though, once I go for my license, and maybe a machine to take camping; give my poor little micra a break from the trails...

Very excited to see where this goes, I might be a little quiet for the first couple weeks (not as much to contribute/post yet) but I'll be hanging around laugh

#146857 - 01/11/20 08:20 PM Re: Hello from Tas :)) [Re: KngTyrannosaurus]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Loc: Montrose, CO
Berryman makes B-12 carb cleaner which is very good. Available at auto parts stores. At least here in the states. Ride safely.

#146861 - 01/11/20 11:04 PM Re: Hello from Tas :)) [Re: KngTyrannosaurus]
onceona50 Offline
Member L2

Loc: CA
Welcome!

#146868 - 01/12/20 10:10 PM Re: Hello from Tas :)) [Re: KngTyrannosaurus]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Heber/Overgaard, AZ

Originally Posted By: KngTyrannosaurus
.....End goal for this bike is to have it working smile its a journey/destination thing- I've always wanted a project machine and I'm thankful to finally have one! ...Very excited to see where this goes, I might be a little quiet for the first couple weeks (not as much to contribute/post yet) but I'll be hanging around laugh..

This whole bike adventure is a journey/destination thing. Something we each enjoy in our own way. Looking forward to much more from you as your XT journey progresses!..

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 11645
alexd 5915
Muniac 5877
Moto Psycho 4684
Az4x4 4395
peejman 3323
kris 2366
Paul49 1801
Doc250 1643