Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146529 - 12/02/19 11:27 PM Cutting the Cable TV Cord..
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Heber/Overgaard, AZ

Users have been cutting the cord on cable TV and its practice of media bundling for years, looking instead to streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video and Disney+ among others for what they want to watch. Such services have made a huge impact, with cable TV shows and movies hardest hit.

How big has streaming media become? For example, between November 17-23 "The Mandalorian," a new series from Disney+ set in the "Star Wars" universe, was the "most in-demand show” bypassing everything available on cable TV.

With streaming services being not only “on-demand” but also far less costly than high priced cable TV, these services are quickly reaching the “tipping point” at which traditional cable TV will be seen as the fading flower that increasing numbers walk away from, opting instead to join the streaming revolution.

We cut the cord on cable TV years ago, opting instead to stream content we're interested in viewing. Paying $60 a month for high speed internet, along with another $200+ a month for cable or satellite TV that bundles hundreds of programs we’ll never watch into their “service package”, made walking away from cable a no-brainer. Haven’t missed anything worthwhile by doing so, and the monthly savings add up in a big hurry.

How about you? How many have made the move or are considering moving away from cable TV to online streaming services?
Lovin' life in Arizona's Mogollon Rim Mountain Country!!

#146541 - 12/03/19 03:37 PM Re: Cutting the Cable TV Cord.. [Re: Az4x4]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: East TN USA
We're thinking about it. We have Dish now. The price isn't terrible and their customer service has been good (as opposed to the cable company... don't get me started).

I've got to get smarter on all the streaming services, I really don't know much about how they work or what's involved. I know plenty of people who've cut the cord, but I just haven't educated myself to get a comfort level with it.

#146544 - 12/03/19 05:13 PM Re: Cutting the Cable TV Cord.. [Re: Az4x4]
Deserteagle56 Offline
Member L2

Loc: Central Nevada, USA
I pay $60 a month for "high speed internet". On the best days it comes in at about 5 Mbps. Most of the time it is a lot less - we're talking Kbps speeds. In the evenings I don't even try to get on the internet it is so slow. So streaming is not an option for me.

Some of my neighbors have tried Hughesnet and some of the other satellite providers but quickly gave them up because the service was so terrible. There is no cable here so my TV viewing is limited to the few channels I can pick up over the air.

I keep reading about the "Starlink" system that's sending up satellites now and hoping that it will solve my internet problems.

#146545 - 12/03/19 05:48 PM Re: Cutting the Cable TV Cord.. [Re: peejman]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: peejman
..We're thinking about it...I've got to get smarter on all the streaming services, I really don't know much about how they work or what's involved..

I had Dish network satellite service years back. Some things I liked about it, most I didn't -- mainly having to sign up for a very long time with no option to walk away without paying for Dish service you didn't use. That, along with the bucket full of 'channels' we never watch but still had to pay for, sucked.

Streaming is about as simple as it gets. All you need is a decent internet connection, which you're paying for anyway if you're online. I tried it out before cutting the cord to make sure I knew what I was doing. Signed up online with Netflix, and discovered a massive library of streaming video for $9 a month that I could select from and watch whatever I liked whenever I liked.

Quickly plugged my large screen TV into my computer using an HDMI cable, and suddenly I had all the media I wanted or needed available on the big screen I'd previously used to watch
expensive cable or satellite TV bundled services.

In the years since we cut the cord, online streaming services have improved and multiplied to the point that there's literally nothing of genuine interest that you can't find a source to watch it on. Most streaming services allow you to share a paid connection with family and friends, which makes the cost of these services about what a cup of coffee would cost.

It's really not rocket science, and with your present internet connection you can check out lots of streaming services right now with free trial runs. If you're like millions of others you'll soon agree that streaming is the way to go.

#146546 - 12/03/19 06:14 PM Re: Cutting the Cable TV Cord.. [Re: Deserteagle56]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Deserteagle56
..I pay $60 a month for "high speed internet". On the best days it comes in at about 5 Mbps. Most of the time it is a lot less - we're talking Kbps speeds...

Sounds like where we were a with Frontier Internet for the longest time here on the Rim. Called the Frontier office in Show Low and discovered we were close enough to Frontier's main internet distrubition point here in Overgaard that we could, for an extra few bucks a month, have our service's speed upgraded by a factor of 8 to 10 times what we had been saddled with. Took a service call (which they waived the fee on) and a new faster modem, but it made all the difference in the world.

No idea if your service can likewise be improved, but it's worth checking into..

#146550 - 12/04/19 12:31 AM Re: Cutting the Cable TV Cord.. [Re: Az4x4]
rocmoc Offline
Member L1

Loc: So Az
Turned the Dish off about two years ago when YouTubeTv came out. We had few options being out like we are. We still had Dialup Internet in 2011, we are a bit better now. We can run the Roku and one computer most of the time without a problem on our $45 unlimited landline internet. We still have Dish in the Motorhome as we do a lot of boondocking and many times can not pickup a Wireless signal for hotspot use with the Roku. YouTubeTv has unlimited DVR storage on the cloud so we record everything and watch when we want and fast forward thu commercials. The other reason is we can get all of the racing events on YouTubeTv for around $50 (was $40 when we started). I would never go back.
rocmoc n AZ/Baja

#146552 - 12/04/19 01:58 AM Re: Cutting the Cable TV Cord.. [Re: Az4x4]
#brer15 Offline
Bronze Member

Loc: Atlanta,GA
I get about 80 stations for free with an antenna. Never had cable.

#146558 - 12/04/19 05:43 PM Re: Cutting the Cable TV Cord.. [Re: rocmoc]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: rocmoc
..Turned the Dish off about two years ago when YouTubeTv came out..... YouTubeTv has unlimited DVR storage on the cloud so we record everything and watch when we want... we can get all of the racing events on YouTubeTv for around $50 (was $40 when we started). I would never go back..

Never met anyone, yourself included Rocmoc, who ditched satellite or cable TV for streaming services then wanted to go back. I've met lots of people who ask about cutting the cord, and I've walked some through it. But going back to satellite or cable TV never crosses anyone's mind that I'm aware of.

Sounds like you've hit on what works in your case, and that's what counts!..

#146559 - 12/04/19 05:52 PM Re: Cutting the Cable TV Cord.. [Re: #brer15]
Az4x4 Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: #brer15
..I get about 80 stations for free with an antenna. Never had cable..

As long as over-the-air TV works for you, stick with it, Brer. You can't beat the price!

In my area over-the-air TV simply doesn't work. Used to get a number of OTA stations when I lived in the Valley, but here in Rim Country there's no signal to be had at all.

#146562 - 12/04/19 09:16 PM Re: Cutting the Cable TV Cord.. [Re: Az4x4]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: East TN USA
We've got the slowest/cheapest ATT U-verse they offer. Even the prior DSL service supported 4 devices streaming video simultaneously. My concern was time to download or buffer HD video for streaming and access to live sports.

There's been a lot of work locally installing what we believe is fiber optic cable in various places, but none past our house yet. We've been told that it's coming.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 121 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 11645
alexd 5915
Muniac 5848
Moto Psycho 4684
Az4x4 4351
peejman 3304
kris 2366
Paul49 1768
Doc250 1643