Also on the petcock issue. The plastic knob can be replaced by it's self, if that is the part that broke. And if it doesn't go on due to tool damage from the vice grips, you should be able to file the damage out, so the knob would fit.
Thats about the best possible news I could hope for. I do not have a service manual and have had some trouble finding one. I've already learned (and am still in the process of learning) an extremely difficult lesson about the dangers of over torqueing the bolts on the oil filter cap.
The petcock has been so abused over time that it rotates 360 degrees. It was a cheap enough part that simply replacing it is probably a good idea in general.
By 'eck worra orribull filthy bike. Poor wee thing needs some love.
Yes it does. Its in pretty bad shape. It only has 5,000 miles on it, but looks like 10-12 times that. I swapped the air filter and changed the oil, and I've never seen filthier filters before in my life.
This is my todo list so far:
- Rebuild carb (fuel leaking from Pilot screw)
- Replace starter motor O Ring (as per this post)
- Replace broken (cracked open)speedo with Vapor Speedo/Tach
- Replace petcock
- Replace/rewire taillight (green wire is not connected, all wires to light are electrical taped together)
- Retrofit a lower profile replacement for the rear light/plate holder (existing one is snapped in half just below the light and the housing is dangerously loose)
- Replace blinkers w/ LED and resistors(both on right side are cracked open)
- Replace headlight (light itself is cracked and the bulb is not at all bright enough)
- Replace front brake lever (existing lever is broken and 80% of the lever is MIA)
- Replace clutch lever and clutch pearl
- Swap stock handlebar for high rise bars
- Replace mirrors
- New plastics
- DMO oversized pegs