Fab Ads
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146163 - 10/04/19 02:21 PM Re: Finally! [Re: Vinduroman]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: East TN USA
When I've ridden in groups the direction is simple... Keep the rider behind you in sight. If you can't see them, slow down or stop. If they don't appear in a minute or two, turn around and go find them. Regardless of where you are in line, it'll travel back up to the leader.

#146164 - 10/04/19 03:38 PM Re: Finally! [Re: Vinduroman]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Loc: Montrose, CO
Dallas and Barbara go back a few years. Last I saw them was in St. George, UT and we did ride as a foursome there. Nice people. Not sure if they are still riding/traveling now.

Yes keeping riders in sight and/or waiting is important. Something we always do. Be safe out there.

#146181 - 10/07/19 10:36 PM Re: Finally! [Re: Vinduroman]
Vinduroman Offline

Loc: OK
Okay, we had a change of plans. Sharon's ride was moved to today (instead of tomorrow), so this morning I loaded up the bikes and we trailered over to our stage point (PJ's at Monroe, OK). There we unload and road paved back roads to Mansfield, AR for a burger n' fries at Joyce's. This would be her first time to ride since her injurious (bruised ribs) "Stop n' Plop" out in Colorado back in 2015.

Years ago, we used to similar rides (burger runs). Here's a couple pics of us out on one of our dual sport rides from waaaay back in the early 90s. She's on a little long travel KE100 I built for her. First pic is the old general store at Monroe, OK. (Long ago burned down.)

And here we are out in the mountains...

Once we reached our stage point, we unloaded, geared-up and started off on paved back roads. I was aboard my WR250R and she was aboard the little XT225. At the first stop she said she was fine and was enjoying being back to riding again.

During lunch at Joyce's Diner, she questioned me about my plans to ride out of the Shores Lake area in the Arkansas Ozarks. (She has ridden up there and we both love the Ozark Mountains.) Mainly, she was asking about what kinds of road/trails/whatever, I was going to ride out of Shores Lake area tomorrow. I told her I would be riding forest roads, mainly, and a bit of blacktop to the Turner Bend store for vittles.

I could see the gears spinning.

"I may go with you", she stated.

Upon that I offered to change our return route to include riding The Ridge (a long forest road that runs the ridge of the Poteau Mountains) so she could get out on some dirt and gravel roads and such. She readily agreed. Thus we geared up again and headed out.

After turning west on the Ridge Road, and after being on dirt/gravel/etc for a spell, we made our first stop. During that stop she said she was enjoying it, doing fine, and was riding relaxed and tensed-free. I could tell she was excited about being out in the mountains aboard a bike again, and was enjoying the experience. In fact, at the next stop she politely informed me to pick up the pace! (I had been holding the pace down in deference to her hiatus from riding.)

SO, looks like in the morn we'll trek off to the Shores Lake area and ride the Ozarks!

Here's a pic out on The Ridge run with Honey Buns standing beside the trusty little XT...

We ended up doing about 75 miles total, with at least 20-25 of them being forest and county dirt/gravel roads. The little XT never missed a beat and ran like a top all day.

All fer now!

V-man

#146183 - 10/08/19 11:48 AM Re: Finally! [Re: Vinduroman]
peejman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: East TN USA
Nice!

#146184 - 10/08/19 01:38 PM Re: Finally! [Re: Vinduroman]
Vinduroman Offline

Looks like I'll be riding by myself today. Wife's brother will be in NW AR to see their aged mother and Sharon is going to go up to meet them and spend the day/evening with them.

I will probably continue with my Shores Lake (or Cass, AR) plans aboard the WR.

Was hoping she would be able to follow-up today with a one-two knock-out punch to the chin on the "lack of ride time/back in the saddle" bugaboo.

Ah well! There'll be more rides in our future!

V-man

#146185 - 10/08/19 02:22 PM Re: Finally! [Re: Vinduroman]
Az4x4 Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Heber/Overgaard, AZ

Originally Posted By: Vinduroman
.....Here's a pic out on The Ridge run with Honey Buns standing beside the trusty little XT...

We ended up doing about 75 miles total, with at least 20-25 of them being forest and county dirt/gravel roads. The little XT never missed a beat and ran like a top all day...V-man

Looks like you guys enjoyed a really fun ride, and it's great that Sharon's riding confidence has returned. Nice report V-man. Thanks for sharing!..

#146187 - 10/09/19 03:20 PM Re: Finally! [Re: Vinduroman]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Glad you guys got out as a couple. Nice to see dual enjoyment. Gorgeous weather too! Freeze warning for us tonight. Snow coming to the high country too. Will know more on Friday after the storm passes. Not too much time left on high country roads before they get blocked with snow. Be safe out there.

#146188 - 10/09/19 09:29 PM Re: Finally! [Re: Muniac]
Az4x4 Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Heber/Overgaard, AZ

Ditto on the freeze warning tonight, down in the mid 20'sF here. Going to get in a short ride this afternoon after we get back from our Post Office run. Not sure how many more 'good days' we can count on before snow flies..

#146189 - 10/10/19 03:54 PM Re: Finally! [Re: Vinduroman]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Well snow is already flying around here. 28F now and that will drop perhaps another 10F by tonight. Warming up thereafter which is good. Don't think we'll see too much accumulation at the house. I'll be making a run up to the mountains later today for a hike and dinner. Can check out snow levels up around 10k.

As for riding, was planning something with a friend for this Sunday afternoon. Not sure about the snow, however.

#146190 - 10/10/19 04:33 PM Re: Finally! [Re: Vinduroman]
Vinduroman Offline

Muniac:

Well... both the wife and I envy you in regards to the state you live in. Colorado is our most favoritist place! We both love snow, however, I'm not so sure I would enjoy facing it in the quantities you receive up in the Rocky Mountain state! Snow is great to look at, not so great to deal with in substantial quantities.

We've passed through Montrose several times over the years, both in cages and aboard a Harley Ultra. Some wonderful views in that area. In fact, it's hard to find a place in Colorado to dislike! (Denver traffic, perhaps??)

Here's a pic taken at Silverton the first week of June, 2011, while suiting up before leaving for Ridgway, Montrose, Independence Pass and on to Leadville. It was 19 degrees!

V-man

Edited by Vinduroman (10/10/19 04:35 PM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 11645
alexd 5915
Muniac 5801
Moto Psycho 4684
Az4x4 4286
peejman 3269
kris 2366
Paul49 1736
Doc250 1643