Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146165 - 10/04/19 04:37 PM Running Linux Mint 19.2 in Virtualbox..
Az4x4 Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Heber/Overgaard, AZ

For those with an interest in Linux Mint but a reluctance to do anything with their PC that's out of their comfort zone, a simple pain free solution is available.

Go to Oracle's official Virtualbox Download Site and download Virtualbox for Windows or macOS (OS-X). Now install Virtualbox on your machine.

Then go to OSBox's official Linux Mint 19.2 Download Site and download the fully prepared Mint Virtualbox image. Now you can run it in a new Virtualbox virtual machine.

You'll have a full edition of Linux Mint 19.2 to use and experience any way you like for as long as you like, with none of what it would take to install it on actual PC hardware. Once done with it simply 'Remove' that virtual machine from Virtualbox and it's no longer there.

Enjoy!

#146166 - 10/04/19 07:28 PM Re: Running Linux Mint 19.2 in Virtualbox.. [Re: Az4x4]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Loc: Montrose, CO
Linux Mint runs in demo mode with its boot disk too. Albeit a tad slowing given it's reading files from the DVD. But you can determine if Linux will boot up. First hurdle to jump. And you need to burn a boot device. I've always used DVDs in my LaCie USB burner for that. It's about a 1.7 Gb experience as I recall.

The pre-built VB route seems like a good idea as it saves a lot of potential hassles. A windows setup.exe should go smoothly. VB has an Export Appliance feature. This allows you to export an entire machine including its guest O/S in a single file.

I used this with Windows being the guest O/S, exporting an applicance just after a clean install. If windows got infected, you could simply reload the clean version (import appliance). Obviously data backups need to be handled separately. If data files are infected the above doesn't help much.

Lots of interesting tools out there to experiment with. And Oracle makes good software. My issue right now is no time. So I'll need to lean on another to give this a test drive. Maybe you George??

#146168 - 10/05/19 12:12 AM Re: Running Linux Mint 19.2 in Virtualbox.. [Re: Muniac]
Az4x4 Online   content
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Muniac
.....Oracle makes good software. My issue right now is no time. So I'll need to lean on another to give this a test drive. Maybe you George??..

I use Oracle's Virtualbox with Linux Mint as the host OS. In it I run Win7.SuperLite as the guest OS. It's smooth as silk and provides all the 'Windows' I need for the classic Windows graphic programs I run.

If I had a dedicated Windows machine (which I don't), and if I was a newcomer to desktop Linux and interested in trying it out, I'd be all over giving Linux Mint a test run in a Virtualbox virtual machine -- especially when all it takes is simply downloading the ready to run Mint 19.2 VB image and running it in Virtualbox.

Besides just Linux Mint, there are all sorts of ready made appliances and operating systems that Windows users can download and test to their heart's content in Virtualbox. The neat thing about doing it this way is the performance you'll enjoy running something in Virtualbox hosted in Windows will be almost the same as installing and running that same appliance or operating system on a dedicated PC.

It's simply a painless way of discovering what's out there besides Windows. If you're a Windows 7 user, like countless millions still are, with support for that system set to dry up and blow away in January this coming year, before you make the leap into Windows 10, with all the baggage it brings with it, it seems the smart thing to do would be to explore the options that are available - which is where Oracle's Virtualbox comes into play with ready to run downloads making the whole thing 'plug and play' simple!..

#146171 - 10/05/19 03:21 PM Re: Running Linux Mint 19.2 in Virtualbox.. [Re: Az4x4]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

I'd give VB a thumbs up. I think its install process (on Linux) has been smoothed somewhat since I last loaded it. My last upgrade to Mint 19.1 disabled VB for some reason. Haven't needed to reload it. I now have a Windows 10 PC given to me by a friend. It works fine for the single application I'm currently running on it. Lots of noise and pop-ups, however.

#146172 - 10/06/19 12:16 AM Re: Running Linux Mint 19.2 in Virtualbox.. [Re: Muniac]
Az4x4 Online   content
Platinum Member

..I'd give VB a thumbs up. I think its install process (on Linux) has been smoothed somewhat since I last loaded it..

I'm running VB 6.0.12, Oracle's latest edition of their popular virtualization software. Downloading the VB .deb file for Ubuntu 18.04 and installing it on Mint is as simple and straight forward as it can be, on a par with installing an .exe file in Windows.

..My last upgrade to Mint 19.1 disabled VB for some reason..

I experienced the same thing with my latest Mint upgrade. Ended up using the Synaptic package manager to completely remove the old VB installation. Then I installed the new VB 6.0.12 in its place and everything worked like it's supposed to again.

#146173 - 10/06/19 02:50 PM Re: Running Linux Mint 19.2 in Virtualbox.. [Re: Az4x4]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

Make sure you install the Guest Additions. You can setup a USB filter to automatically enumerate a thumb drive. If they didn't change that in the newer version.

Best to get all the D/Ls from Oracle's site. Linux repositories are often out of date.

PS: Just ran the update manager which ran fine. Took about 5 minutes to get up to date. I think the message is don't let your system get too far out of date.

#146174 - 10/06/19 03:14 PM Re: Running Linux Mint 19.2 in Virtualbox.. [Re: Muniac]
Az4x4 Online   content
Platinum Member

..Make sure you install the Guest Additions. ...Best to get all the D/Ls from Oracle's site..

Absolutely. Always go to the source. Oracle's VB Virtual Machine Extension Pack, available from the same page that VB is available on, is central to the VB experience. Once VB is installed, click on File/Preferences/Extensions to install the Extension Pack you've downloaded.

#146175 - 10/06/19 07:24 PM Re: Running Linux Mint 19.2 in Virtualbox.. [Re: Az4x4]
Muniac Offline

Platinum Member

I'm a bit low on space at the moment until I archive some files off of my PC. Once I free up some space, I'll reinstall VB and give it 15 Gb of storage. It takes only what it needs and uses making the allocation dynamic. As mentioned, Oracle makes good software.

I can't even imagine the development efforts that went into creating VB. Mind boggling.

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.5.8 has been completed on Tuesday Sept 2nd 2014. This should solve the missing posts problem. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters
Reggie 11645
alexd 5915
Muniac 5801
Moto Psycho 4684
Az4x4 4286
peejman 3269
kris 2366
Paul49 1736
Doc250 1643