Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Seems I picked up an intestinal bug in Utah.. #145989 09/12/19 03:48 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Over our Labor Day getaway to Zion National Park in Utah we waded ankle deep in the icy water of the Virgin River as it flowed out of The Narrows. Without thinking, and unaware of any danger it might pose, I scooped a small handful for water and tasted it to see if it was sweet. It was, and I didn't think anything more of it till the last two days. Then the full effect of the microscopic organisms in that taste of river water made itself known, and today I'm off to our local clinic to see what's what.

Apparently, most rivers west of the Rockies are commonly infected with Giardia, an intestinal parasite. It's easily treated with a common antibiotic, and hopefully Ginger, our PA at the Clinic, will have what I need on hand in their well stocked dispensary.

Don't drink, taste, or even wade in a river you're not sure of. Talk about a 'tummy ache'. My oh my, this stuff really hurts..

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Seems I picked up an intestinal bug in Utah.. [Re: Az4x4] #145990 09/12/19 07:12 PM
peejman Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Most rivers east of the Rockies have giardia too. I believe it's spread through wild pig urine, and wild pigs are a problem almost everywhere these days.

I wouldn't expect just a sip of water would cause your problems. Giardia warnings have been in place here for years, and we've played in the rivers plenty. We tell the kids not to drink the water, but I'm sure they injest some.

This shall pass, be still and know.
2006 XT225, UNI filter, ProTaper bars, MSR handguards, SS front brake line, Shinko 241's.
Re: Seems I picked up an intestinal bug in Utah.. [Re: Az4x4] #145992 09/12/19 08:27 PM
Muniac Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
George - Sorry to hear you got infected. Well wishes to get it knocked out. Hope you feel better soon.

Giardia is everywhere now. NEVER drink any natural water!! From creeks, streams, ponds, rivers, lakes, etc. The only sure way to purify water is to boil it for 15 minutes. Some micro organisms can pass through filters, survive iodine and chlorine. Other varieties have shells that protect them from digestive acid. Once through the stomach the shells dissolve and the organism multiplies. Some of these infections can be very serious. So make sure you get proper treatment from a clinic that knows what its doing.

I've had a few bacterial infections over the years. Back in the day, a doctor would take a sample and grow that in a petri dish filled with gelatin. They'd prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic in the meantime. After growing a culture, they look at it under a microscope for identification. Then spread 8 antibiotics (pie wedges) into the growth and see which one(s) killed the bacteria. That would be your prescription.

Doctors would always have a microscope handy for such things. I've had a stained slide done one the spot for identification to get the correct antibiotic prescribed immediately. This goes back to when doctors would come to your house with a black bag. Them days are long gone now.

Evolve & Simplify
Be There or Be Nowhere! A Few Adventures & Video
Re: Seems I picked up an intestinal bug in Utah.. [Re: Muniac] #145993 09/12/19 11:17 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

Saw the PA at our local clinic. She's highly experienced and once I told her about sipping water from the Virgin river in the park she agreed that the culprit was most likely Giardia. Started me on an antibiotic that specifically targets that critter. Had it available in the clinic's med dispenser machine. Two or three days and I should see positive results.

Back when I was a kid fishing and hunting with my dad and uncle here in the high country, we'd drink from mountain streams with never a second thought. Today though, with the mass of people using and abusing these once pristine areas, apparently there's no safe natural running water anymore.

Lesson learned. Never again, trust me on that!

..I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.. Dr. Phil
Re: Seems I picked up an intestinal bug in Utah.. [Re: Az4x4] #145994 09/13/19 04:08 PM
Muniac Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
George - Hope you feel better. I'm not sure that human over population is to blame for this. It is responsible for a lot of negative effects, however. Infected animals pissing and crapping in the streams contaminate the water.

We always have "Wet Ones" antiseptic wipes around to clean our hands off after touch anything. Rocks, bushes, trees, dirt, gas pump handles, etc. Wouldn't have helped you with drinking water, however. Infectious diseases and/or bacterial infections are a serious problem which few talk about. IMHO this will likely get us long before weather events. 7B strong now and Mother nature will put a cap on it somehow.

What antibiotic did you get?

Evolve & Simplify
Re: Seems I picked up an intestinal bug in Utah.. [Re: Muniac] #145996 09/13/19 06:08 PM
Az4x4 Offline OP
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member

She prescribed 500mg Metronidazole, apparently the most used antibiotic for Giardia. On my first 24 hours of taking it three times a day I feel better already. Symptoms are disappearing, gastric upset is all but gone, and appetite is returning to normal. Ginger told me to stick with it for 7 days. By the third day the bug should be totally knocked out, then four additional days to seal the deal.

Appreciate your advice and concern. Don't stay current with information like this, not spending time in situations where the desire to sample flowing mountain water like I did as a kid back in the day is present. Having it jump up and bite me in the butt (literally) two weeks after visiting Zion was both a surprise and a lesson learned.

Hope others take this to heart and prepare themselves accordingly when exploring the back country. Wouldn't wish this sort of intestinal upset on anyone. Microscopically filter, then boil any natural water you need to consume. Don't let yourself be victimized like I stupidly did..

Re: Seems I picked up an intestinal bug in Utah.. [Re: Az4x4] #145999 09/14/19 02:53 PM
Muniac Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
Glad you're coming around. Yes, hard way to learn a lesson. The healthy bacteria and flora in your GI track may get disturbed with an antibiotic. Each of us is different. A good product to help rebuild your GI track is Align which was recommend to me by my knee surgeon. Something to try out if you need a boost. Good luck and feel better.

Evolve & Simplify
Re: Seems I picked up an intestinal bug in Utah.. [Re: Az4x4] #146000 09/15/19 11:09 AM
Paul49 Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
We never know what is upstream, I worked for a water authority for a while, the intakes to the reservoirs look lovely clean water but often there'd be a dead sheep in there further up in the hills. One of my chums was seriously ill through drinking from a stream.
Best wishes for a full & quick recovery.

Current: 1958 Ariel 650 FH, 2014 Tiger Sport1050, 1995 XT225 Serow, 2016 Tiger 800 XRx.
Re: Seems I picked up an intestinal bug in Utah.. [Re: Paul49] #146004 09/15/19 03:37 PM
D
Deserteagle56 Online Content
Member L2
Online Content
Member L2
D
Originally Posted By: Paul49
We never know what is upstream, I worked for a water authority for a while, the intakes to the reservoirs look lovely clean water but often there'd be a dead sheep in there further up in the hills. One of my chums was seriously ill through drinking from a stream.
Best wishes for a full & quick recovery.

That is for darn sure! Many years ago while riding along the base of a mountain range in the middle of Nevada I came upon a "mini" slot canyon with a tiny stream running out of it. We have many such around here and usually they don't go very far so I decided to walk back up in it. Well, despite many small ledges (waterfalls) that I was able to work my way over, this little canyon just kept on going back into the mountain, getting narrower and the walls getting higher. Since I hadn't expected the slot to go far I hadn't taken anything with me, including water and pretty soon I was desperate for a drink. That cold trickle running down the bottom of the slot over quartz-laced granite sure looked inviting (there wasn't even any slime) so I got down and drank.

About 50 yards further up the slot I found the remains of a colt lying in the stream! Just a baby, really, that must have fallen from above because there was no way a horse could have come up the waterfalls. It was badly decomposed.

I almost got sick to my stomach just looking at that mess and realizing I'd just drank water running through that carcass. But I never did suffer any ill effects.

Worshipper of sun and wild country.
Re: Seems I picked up an intestinal bug in Utah.. [Re: Az4x4] #146073 09/23/19 02:56 PM
redninja Offline
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Originally Posted By: Az4x4

Over our Labor Day getaway to Zion National Park in Utah we waded ankle deep in the icy water of the Virgin River as it flowed out of The Narrows.

Did you hike into the canyon a ways ? We've been there a couple of times, and hike as far as we can go before swimming is required. Very scenic.

redninja
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource and DONATE
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,615
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 5,064
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,153
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,152
Paul49 2,112
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics